Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the oldest system you can stomach now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
    I'm not sure whether I just spent years getting used to it, but I find using a decent microswitch joystick, up to jump is fine. I'd hate it on a d-pad though!

Having said that, it is pretty strange the Amiga didn't launch with at least a 2 button stick. There were 2 button joysticks for the C64, but they never really caught on. The C64 could also do analogue control which was never really utilised.
    I find it really hard to go back to single button joysticks in general, even on the Atari 2600. I much prefer a pad these days.

Comment

I also find those early 3D days a bit of a chore too.
      PS1 had a really short draw distance on things like Tomb Raider and G-Police (even though I loved them) and the single analogue stick on the Dreamcast and N64 are tricky to go back to. Plus the N64 looks like Vaseline is smeared on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Anyone on the older computer stuff like the authenticity of the real hardware?
        The thrill of watching a game load from tape, one line at a time whilst you go off and do something else, rather than using an emulator to play it straight away?
        haha I don't really like emulators so I use real computers, but I draw the line at cassettes! I have an FPGA disk drive/cartridge loader for my C64 which has an interface that's as easy to use as an emulator and I know there are several similar options for the Spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          I also find those early 3D days a bit of a chore too.
          PS1 had a really short draw distance on things like Tomb Raider and G-Police (even though I loved them) and the single analogue stick on the Dreamcast and N64 are tricky to go back to. Plus the N64 looks like Vaseline is smeared on the screen.
          I really like the look of PS1 games, they have a lot of charm to me. I know that's not true for most people though.

G-Police looks baller on PC btw, it runs well in PCEM if you ever want to go back to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
            haha I don't really like emulators so I use real computers, but I draw the line at cassettes! I have an FPGA disk drive/cartridge loader for my C64 which has an interface that's as easy to use as an emulator and I know there are several similar options for the Spectrum.
            I was worried you were one of those kinky guys for a minute...

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            I really like the look of PS1 games, they have a lot of charm to me. I know that's not true for most people though.
            OK, so I'm currently on MGS3 which is a PS2 game, remastered to a 360 game, played on a BC One!
            I got quite nostalgic about the polygonal characters with the textures mapped over them, so I totally understand.

G-Police looks baller on PC btw, it runs well in PCEM if you ever want to go back to it.
            I didn't know any of that, so thanks!
            Looked at a video, but it still seems to have a short draw distance.

Neatly bringing my two points together, here's an ace little polygon model in front of a really short draw distance:

Comment

I just about cope with the Master System, anything before that is a no no for me. I'm not sure if its because of the visuals, the gameplay or just how bad I am at older games.....

In terms of 3D games there are some PS1/Saturn games that I can deal with such as Exhumed on the Saturn and things like RR4 on the PS1 but other than that i'm retro 2D all the way!

Comment

Yep; it was actually one of the early 3D games to demo one of the major 3D acceleration technologies. I want to say 3DFX Glide? You could run it in 60fps, whack up the draw distance and crank up the amount of ambient traffic. It made it look like a high-end Dreamcast game in 1997.

EDIT: Aw, I miss the 3DFX days. You basically had a class of computer that no-one was making games for; they were just porting their existing games that were intended for people without 3D cards. That meant everything was silky-smooth.
                Last edited by Asura; 24-07-2020, 20:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Yep; it was actually one of the early 3D games to demo one of the major 3D acceleration technologies. I want to say 3DFX Glide? You could run it in 60fps, whack up the draw distance and crank up the amount of ambient traffic. It made it look like a high-end Dreamcast game in 1997.

EDIT: Aw, I miss the 3DFX days. You basically had a class of computer that no-one was making games for; they were just porting their existing games that were intended for people without 3D cards. That meant everything was silky-smooth.
                  Absolutely, and when you compare 3DFX cards to the competition at the time, it's mind blowing how far ahead they were. I can only imagine what it must have been like to go from say, software rendering Quake to GLQuake with a Voodoo 1.

Comment

Back in the day, I actually preferred software rendered Quake 1 to the GLQuake, which looked too sharp to my eyes, but I had a Pentium 200MMX which was quick enough to render at an Ok resolution.

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION]: as for loading from tape, I bought a 1531 tapedeck for my Ultimate 64 (had to clean it up massively and sort the alignment out) just to show the kids what patience was required, after one of the twins was moaning about load times on his Amazon Fire tablet!

Comment

Generally I struggle to enjoy anything earlier than NES.

I have a few compilations of Atari games from earlier, but when I try to play them, I'm bored in seconds.

I still enjoy a few Spectrum games, such as Skool Daze, which is still quite unique.

And Dambusters on the Video PAC is an excellent take on Breakout which I've never seen in any other game.

Comment

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post
                        I just about cope with the Master System, anything before that is a no no for me. I'm not sure if its because of the visuals, the gameplay or just how bad I am at older games.....
                        I like how the best Master System games feel solid, have reasonably nice sprites, a decent amount of colour, and they move well. So they're still acceptable to people who are primarily focused on 16-bit gaming.

Comment

The 3 colour sprites on older Famicom games make things look quite dated. The Master System could throw more colours at sprites and it does often get close to ST / Amiga quality.

Comment

Yeh think that sums it up well! They are solid and in most cases the games are less “floaty” and more responsive. My first console was an Atari 2600 and although I have fond memories I just wanted play it these days even for the nostalgia.

Comment

I’d play pong on a grandstand still. It’s not what systems is still play, it’s what games. Some stood the test of time, others not so much

Comment

My first experiences of gaming were on a Master System and Amiga so was very well versed in fairly slick 2D games.

Later on, I inherited my Dad's old work 386 IMB PC and it had a load of great games pre-installed. Doom, Wolf 3D, Shuttle (1992 NASA Game) and Battlezone. Over several years, I kept loading it up and trying to get into it, but I just couldn't get past the slow frame rate, abstract vector graphics and simple combat.

I feel some games like Pong are at least so pure, the mechanic doesn't age but the simplicity, crudeness and lack of polish of early 2D and 3D games leave a lot to the imagination to me. Without the nostalgia, I just don't feel I get much from them.

So the early 8bit is era at the home and Arcade is where I'm happy going back to but to be honest, I'm happiest in the early 1990's 16bit era. The 2D graphics and audio are now polished so have real charm to them and the early 3D of the Arcades still looks so vibrant and welcoming to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X