Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the oldest system you can stomach now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the oldest system you can stomach now?

Sometimes have this zany idea about picking up a 2600 or even a flashback, but I know it's going to pure nards.

Don't get me wrong, I used to enjoy systems of that era even up to the early 90s I would still play them, but now I don't think I could hack it.

Anyone still playing crusties?

I have a Vader 2600 that I use, not that often but I'm always partial to a bit of Demon Attack, Galaxian and Tapper. Not to mention some of the stunning homebrew on the system.

I do struggle with the Amiga tbh. Music or sound effects? Odd resolutions with black borders? One button control schemes in the 90s? Up to jump??? No, I think I'll pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
      I have a Vader 2600 that I use, not that often but I'm always partial to a bit of Demon Attack, Galaxian and Tapper. Not to mention some of the stunning homebrew on the system.

I do struggle with the Amiga tbh. Music or sound effects? Odd resolutions with black borders? One button control schemes in the 90s? Up to jump??? No, I think I'll pass.
      It's crazy Amiga and the like didnt have an official controller with more buttons. Now you can get a dongle that assigns the up direction to a 2nd pad button which may make a lot of games more playable.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        It's crazy Amiga and the like didnt have an official controller with more buttons. Now you can get a dongle that assigns the up direction to a 2nd pad button which may make a lot of games more playable.
        It drives me insane. If just one company or developer had at least, tried it, got it to take off maybe... I configure WinUAE to change UP to a pad button as well, it improves so many games.

I tried doing the same in Vice but there doesn't seem to be an option for it?

Comment

I see little reason to go back before the PC Engine.

Comment

I had my Woody Atari 2600 upgraded with an RGB board because I enjoy the best of what it has to offer. I even bought an Everdrive for it, because my machine is NTSC and even cheap $5 games would end up costing a lot to import with postage. So I only have a few boxed games, such as Enduro, HERO and Crackpots.

The Everdrive also enables me to play all the homebrews, such as the excellent ports of Scramble & Super Cobra. It's fun to go back to really archaic tech that has a completely different vibe to even later, more complex 8-bit systems. The games are so raw and abstract.

When it comes to the Amiga -- it's all about the best games. Skilled developers managed to offer sound effects and music, with some games not having huge black borders. Some devs even offered a '2 button' option in later games. I'd never say I like the Amiga more than the PC Engine, Mega Drive or SNES, but I often go back and enjoy some of the Amiga classics.

Comment

Yeah im not digging out Amiga, I love Psygnosis games etc, just for pure spectacle I'm in. But bleep blop blip games I think ive had it. I do like Solaris tho on 2600.

Comment

I can still happily play quite a few Master System games, especially titles like Bubble Bobble, but the earliest system that I still really put tons of time in to is the PC-Engine. It still has a library that I can easily sit for an entire day of play enjoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                  But bleep blop blip games I think ive had it. I do like Solaris tho on 2600.
                  I'm firmly in the 16-bit camp when it comes to retro gaming, but I also enjoy 8-bit stuff. The Atari 2600 is definitely a bit too basic for some people, and I can respect the reasons why. I just have a thing for really simple, abstract games. But I'm definitely not heavily into that sort of thing. No, I love the PC Engine, Mega Drive, Neo Geo and SNES too much. I only have a mild interest in really archaic systems like the Atari 2600.

I do tend to defend the Amiga a bit, simply because there's the idea that its catalogue is complete rubbish. It's true that there are lots of weak ST ports and badly made games, but there are plenty of really good games that are still worth playing. I certainly enjoy going back to the Amiga now and then.

Comment

Console wise it's the Famicom but some games on there are really starting to show their age. On the home micro front I still enjoy Speccy stuff but that's probably due to the nostalgia factor. Having said that there's some seriously impressive homebrew stuff on the 8-bit micros that feels surprisingly modern.

Oh and Gulkave the SG-1000 hori shooter from Compile is still great.

Comment

I can just about play anything in terms of games, but the killer for me is screens with handhelds.

I've come to terms with how I can't play anything with a screen tech older than the bright, sharp screens of the GBA Micro, DS Lite or GBA AGS-101. I sold my physical Neo Geo Pocket Color for this reason; I just can't be arsed to play using a screen I have to angle to the light, especially today when such good emulation options exist.

Comment

Pre PC Engine, 8-bit stuff I can’t play.

Comment

Good question, Base-oh!

An older workmate was really excited about getting an Atari 2600 mini at Christmas, but he was bored of it really quickly.
                          I remember replaying some games like Smurf, Empire Strikes Back and so on and just surprised at how limited they were and it's basically the same one or two screens repeated.

Never really got into the 8-Bit consoles. Jumped straight from the Vic20 to the Mega Drive, so I have no nostalgic interest.
                          I've played a PC Engine at game conventions and they are nice and don't feel 8-Bit, but for me, the oldest I can and do stomach is 16-Bit, replaying the Mega Drive games again on the 360, One and Switch.

I do have an emulator XBox and sometimes dip into arcades older than the 16-Bit gen, but I feel they're a different kettle of fish.

Comment

I can still play C64 stuff. There's some great games there, still. In fact, I recently completed edutainment title Agent USA for the first time on a real C64 (no cheats/save states etc.)

Comment

Third-generation console hardware would probably be my limit, so essentially NES and SMS/Famicom and Mark III.

C64 and Sinclair ZX Spectrun +2 were the very first things I ever gamed on/owned but there's no way I'd go out of my way to touch them now.

Arcade is the outlier to this, obviously: Will always play coin-op games, especially the golden-age stuff from between 1980 and 2000.
                              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-07-2020, 10:13.

Comment

Working...
                              X