Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BD retro VGM Playlist - Post ONE retro game music track!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD retro VGM Playlist - Post ONE retro game music track!

Yes, there are tonnes of 'favourite game music' threads, but I wanted to keep this one retro and also condensed. Only post ONE (YouTube video)! You can comment as much as you like, mind.

Other RULES, the track must be chip based, so the sounds produced where being emitted by the console in real-time rather than pre-recorded CD audio. I know, you could argue retro is right up to 360/PS3. But I feel that the chip music was more intimate. Where as later, a band or orchestra could be recorded. Yeah, my argument stinks lol. I hope you know where I'm coming from.

Please comment on why you chose the track.

This way, we could curate a nice playlist or something.

My entry...

Darius II - Olga Breeze (arcade version) by Zuntata (Taito Sound Team) 1989.

Why I chose this track: Firstly, the opening speech, "I always wanted a thing called Tuna Sas(h)imi!" is just brilliant and I don't know why. The track is nostalgic to me, as I remember picking it up from my local import shop for Megadrive. Back when you didn't have many reviews to backup your decision to purchase. Maybe being stuck on stage 1 for so long burnt this into my mind. Not just nostalgia though, as I really think this track inspired me when making my own tunes later on. Quite a few Zuntata (Taito music dudes) would be in my top 10, but this sits a the very top for me. I still listen to it in my car or taking the dog for a walk. I know, sad lol.

Playlist submissions so far...

1. Olga Breeze (Darius II - arcade) - @hudson
    2. Title Theme (Double Dragon - Nintendo Game Boy) - @QualityChimp
    3. Stage 4 (Alien 3 - Sega Mega Drive) - @beecee
    4. Chemical Plant Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Sega Mega Drive) - @wakka
    5. Lightning Strikes Again (Thunder Force IV - Sega Mega Drive) - @Cepp
    6. Spiders (Axelay - Super Nintendo) - @Leon Retro
    7. Lost Ancient Ruins (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Super Nintendo) - @Atticus
    8. Main Theme (Crazy Sue Goes On - Commodore Amiga) - @samanosuke
    9. The Moon Theme (Duck Tales - Nintendo Entertainment System) - @Neon Ignition
    10. Go Straight (Streets of Rage 2 - Sega Mega Drive) - @dyer60
    11. Vecanti (Super Valis IV - Super Nintendo) - @Baseley09
    12. Loading Music (Joe Blade 2 - Commodore 64) - @wheelaa
    13. Winning Run (Super Hang-On - arcade) - @Hirst
    14. In the Wind (Gradius III - arcade) - @Nu-Eclipse
    15. Stage 03 (Contra III - The Alien Wars - Super Nintendo) - @Gradius
    16. Battle Theme / Stage 01 (R-Type - arcade) - @Colin
    17. At the Heliport (Double Dragon II - Nintendo Entertainment System) - @dataDave
    18. Title Theme (Flimbo's Quest - Commodore 64) - @prinnysquad
    19. The Final Fight (Turrican II - Commodore Amiga) - @Asura
    20. The Theme of Q (Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - arcade) - @speedlolita
    21. On the Satellite's Orbit (Soukyugurentai - arcade) - @Team Andromeda
    22. Blast Rock (Super R-Type - Super Famicom) - @BIG EDD
    Last edited by hudson; 30-07-2020, 12:12.

I'll play!

Basically, every single time I'm reminded of Double Dragon, I'll think about the excellent title song on the Game Boy and how much that little grey handheld could do. It's not necessarily my fave, but I wanted to give it a shout out!

Comment

for some reason, i can get the link to work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5RiwtCX14k&t=16s

Last edited by QualityChimp; 23-07-2020, 15:59.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I'll play!

Basically, every single time I'm reminded of Double Dragon, I'll think about the excellent title song on the Game Boy and how much that little grey handheld could do. It's not necessarily my fave, but I wanted to give it a shout out!
        Wow, blast from the past
        [MENTION=285]beecee[/MENTION] try deleting the &t=16s at the end. In fact just putting the 'SR5iwtCX14k' in between the YouTube tags.

Also! Just one track. No the entire soundtrack lol
        Last edited by hudson; 23-07-2020, 15:56.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
          for some reason, i can get the link to work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5RiwtCX14k&t=16s

{YOUTUBE}S5RiwtCX14k{/YOUTUBE}
          Yeah, you only need the bit between v= and &t-16s, which I've made bold in the link and showed you what the link should look like, but with square, not curly brackets.

Man, I rinsed Alien 3 at the time!

Comment

Unless the Time 16 secs was where the track starts from?

Comment

One of my all time favourites - still listen to this on the reg. Just a really great tune, love it.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                One of my all time favourites - still listen to this on the reg. Just a really great tune, love it.

This track is Sonic 2 to me. The amount of times I've played through the first few levels up to and including the boss at the end of this zone is unreal.

This was the track that immediately jumped out to me after reading the OP. It's perfection.

Comment

This boss tune from Axelay is a prime example of how the whole soundtrack suits each level and boss. The music blends with the action perfectly.

Comment

Every track in here a banger so far. You should def make this a YouTube playlist once a few more people have contributed [MENTION=4957]hudson[/MENTION].

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Every track in here a banger so far. You should def make this a YouTube playlist once a few more people have contributed @hudson.
                      That's the idea. I'm hoping they're all on Apple's Music app. I know Zuntata are represented by the fudge tonne.

I have a feeling this thread will be heavily shmup based. What you think?

Comment

A Link Between Worlds used this music too and it reminded me what an amazing tune it is.

Comment

The Double Dragon and Sonic 2 tunes are proper burnt in my mind.

Here’s my one:

Reason why? Just listen to it! Was tempted to go with Lotus 2 but everyone’s already heard that.

Comment

Yes! When that arp lead drops!

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                              Yes! When that arp lead drops!
                              It’s proper demo scene sh*t, yeah?

Comment

Working...
                              X