Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV Ambilights?

I've been thinking of getting one of these for ages now:

Previously though people were making them with RasbPis, whereas now there are these "all-in" ones which are supposed to do everything. Right now, I have an LED strip on the back of my TV to reduce glare but I can see the value in the ambilight feature.

But I've got one concern. The instructions say you can cut the strip to size to remove any excess; fine. But for the ambilight to work, surely the little box needs to know the length of the strip, and perform some calculations to work out the top/left/bottom/right sides of the TV?

So to use a daft example, let's say I buy a massive strip, and end up cutting three-quarters of it off. Won't the whole strip be configured to just use the colour of the top of the TV?

Or does it know the strip length due to electric resistance, or something? Is it that clever? I could believe that but only if told by someone impartial, as these are often Chinese units with quite poor English on their descriptions.

Other than the word 'addressable' in the title, I can't see anything relating to it needing to know the exact size of the TV. And 'addressable' just seems to mean that the LEDs can be adjusted individually(which is true, but the control box just has a bunch of pre-programmed colour modes) so it's not actually addressable in the sense that you can configure which LEDs in the strip do what.

It looks similar to mine - just one of those cheap LED strips with a remote control - but with the addition of that 'music mode'.
    Last edited by randombs; 28-07-2020, 09:44.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
      Other than the word 'addressable' in the title, I can't see anything relating to it needing to know the exact size of the TV. And 'addressable' just seems to mean that the LEDs can be adjusted individually(which is true, but the control box just has a bunch of pre-programmed colour modes) so it's not actually addressable in the sense that you can configure which LEDs in the strip do what.

It looks similar to mine - just one of those cheap LED strips with a remote control - but with the addition of that 'music mode'.
      I may have linked the wrong one (I was looking at several). The one I'm talking about had a little HDMI pass-through box for this purpose.

Comment

Looks like it. The Ambilight in your link is a regular one.

I saw a YouTube video of an HDMI pass-through Ambilight kit(might have been using an RPi) and the delay between the onscreen image and the LEDs reacting was off-putting. Maybe things could have improved since then.

Comment

Working...
        X