BPX047: You Shall Not Game PASS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]

Probably GaaS games, as has been said. It'll stop people dipping in for a month for a game they want, then cancelling the sub once they've played it.
    GaaS games and episodic games will keep people on the service... Provided the games are any good. Like I said before GaaS doesn't work with games like TLOU or Life is strange, so those games will vanish if subscriptions take over.
    (although life is strange is episodic so that might survive if enough people played it)

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
      This was something Paradox Interactive talked about last year too. Also there must be exclusivity deals on certain content too, i.e. Remedy's Control on PS Now for 6-months. For certain developers/publishers that will be extremely attractive.
      It's just another avenue for publishers to get cash, like exclusivity deals or GWG/PS+

It will be interesting to see if it becomes something different from what it is now... i.e. the bargain bucket of all the games that the great unwashed forgot to buy.

Comment

Netflix moved to a flat fee structure? Interesting. Might exain their debt.

Comment

I didn’t know Netflix was on any other type of structure because they are notoriously private about their data, even if it’s data about your product. When Dreamworks got new shows on there, for example (and this is going back many years now), even they couldn’t get info from Netflix on how their shows were doing. So the idea that they might hand over a statement that shows views or pay in a way that could show that information seems counter to everything I know about them. That’s not to say it never happened - it just has never happened as long as I’ve been aware of them.

Comment

I've skimmed the last few pages and am probably aguing with no-one over this, but anyone pointing to the music industry as an example of a healthy digital subscription model needs a reality check.

This article got thrown around a lot by a load of artists I follow last week - link. This isn't some record label exec paying an advance and expecting results, this is a tech firm that's muscled in on distribution to the point where this guy now thinks he's got the right to dictate how artists work and manage their fanbase, to fit in nicely with its playlist-centric model, despite paying them an utter pittance. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I didn’t know Netflix was on any other type of structure because they are notoriously private about their data, even if it’s data about your product. When Dreamworks got new shows on there, for example (and this is going back many years now), even they couldn’t get info from Netflix on how their shows were doing. So the idea that they might hand over a statement that shows views or pay in a way that could show that information seems counter to everything I know about them. That’s not to say it never happened - it just has never happened as long as I’ve been aware of them.
              Oh no, I just meant that every other "all you can eat" service I've seen works in that way I described, or some variant thereof. Like I knew Netflix was cagey with their data, but it was my assumption that they were still doing pretty much this exact thing, just behind-the-scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                Oh no, I just meant that every other "all you can eat" service I've seen works in that way I described, or some variant thereof. Like I knew Netflix was cagey with their data, but it was my assumption that they were still doing pretty much this exact thing, just behind-the-scenes.
                Ah okay. No, to the best of my knowledge none of the broadcast streaming platforms operate in this way. The deals are up front and fixed and aren’t in any way dependent on views. The only time the views come into play is on possible renewals but, even then, you don’t get any info and you couldn’t read anything into a renewal fee - it’s just that they’d drop you if it wasn’t worth their while. So they’d be quite different to a service like Spotify.

Comment

Without attracting regular big new releases that heavily risks Game Pass being a resting place for older titles outside of MS's shift to GAAS titles, which suggests that too much success would be the services own undoing by creating the conditions for more rival platforms to emerge. In principle to a large extent PSNow is pretty much the same service, much larger even and yet despite the much larger platform userbase is smaller in subscribers and much softer in terms of push from Sony. Presumably much of that comes from how much less new titles are the focus of the service but it still feels like something lies within it to explain why only MS is pursuing this path.

Comment

Working...
                  X