United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    If your ICE car only had 50 miles worth of fuel left in it with that scenario it wouldn’t be any better.
    This can easily be resolved if you ensure all your journeys are downhill.

In a lightning storm.

Comment

But what happens when you hit 88mph?

Comment

But what happens when you hit 88mph?
        Or cross the streams?!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Plus, home charging only works on the basis of actually being able to plug your car in. Not every home even has a space for a car to be parked outside of it, let alone multi-car owning households etc. That or having charging cables trailing to the vehicles. The only option would be to have street charging points outside of almost every building in the UK and well... that ain't happening. Charging 'Petrol' stations with high current rapid charging is exactly how this will end.
          The cities are looking at points that are built-in to streetlamps, I believe - I'm interested to see the solutions that people come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            The cities are looking at points that are built-in to streetlamps, I believe - I'm interested to see the solutions that people come up with.
            Can’t wait for all the home diy’ers that will mod their electric draw and start burning out all the charge points.

Comment

Electric cars should charge when driving over a special surfaced side lane in the road... basically like F-Zero... and boost as fast too!
              Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              The electrified floor needs to be connected to an overhanging charge grid by a large pole.
              As drivers jostle to get into the charging lane, there's a risk of collision, so maybe introduce a encircling large rubber bumper on the cars.
              I'd prefer a groove in the road your car could lock onto, the receptacle on the car could have large metal brushes for contact, you might not need front wheels even.
              Roads could be built with high banked corners, hump bridges and crossovers.

Comment

Plus, home charging only works on the basis of actually being able to plug your car in. Not every home even has a space for a car to be parked outside of it, let alone multi-car owning households etc. That or having charging cables trailing to the vehicles. The only option would be to have street charging points outside of almost every building in the UK and well... that ain't happening. Charging 'Petrol' stations with high current rapid charging is exactly how this will end.
                This has been my argument for a long time
                I have no way to charge at home without trailing a power lead across a public foot path & small green space as I have to park in the road outside my house

It's my main reason for not considering a hybrid when I replace the car this year

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                  I'd prefer a groove in the road your car could lock onto, the receptacle on the car could have large metal brushes for contact, you might not need front wheels even.
                  Roads could be built with high banked corners, hump bridges and crossovers.
                  Im not so sure on this one, don’t want your new car breaking 2 days after Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    Im not so sure on this one, don’t want your new car breaking 2 days after Christmas.
                    Good point, particularly if your dad trod on it.

Comment

Something like 60% of UK households have off street parking. I was surprised at that number too.
                      Grants are available for installation of on street charging - https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/ser...epoint-scheme/
                      By the time electric cars make up the majority of vehicles on the road, charging points will be a total non-issue. In 2019 just 0.8% of registered vehicles were either a plug-in-hybrid, battery electric, range-extended electric, or fuel cell electric car - the number of vehicles on the roads does not make it worthwhile putting a charging point kerbside every other house - but they will come when the business case is met. Or there will be charging stations like petrol forecourts (people don't have petrol pumps outside of their house either).

People fear change.

Comment

Yes I'm double posting, apparently that's the law now, so I'll just leave this here ...

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                          This has been my argument for a long time
                          I have no way to charge at home without trailing a power lead across a public foot path & small green space as I have to park in the road outside my house

It's my main reason for not considering a hybrid when I replace the car this year

Neil
                          It's similar to mine, even if there's enough points where we live the local chavs will have great fun ripping out and damaging the cables at night.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          Or there will be charging stations like petrol forecourts (people don't have petrol pumps outside of their house either
                          We would require battery technology to come on leaps and bounds which it may well do, currently you can fill up your tank in ten minutes or so and that gives you X miles, ten minutes on a charger I don't think gives you anything like that, so you can't have a situation where these charging forecourts are mobbed by hundreds of cars every night getting a top-up.

Then you have the other issue of battery longevity, our car was bought brand new on a 55 plate, done less than 35k, just had to replace the original back tyres due to splitting - no problems with tread, we could be on our third or fourth battery which could easily cost £000's a time, plenty of others could be in a similar situation like the elderly, retired or those on Motability who have low mileage.
                          The Citroen Ami may be the type of thing for us, we'll see.

I'm not anti-e cars though I think I would prefer hydrogen at the minute I just think there are still some hurdles technology can hopefully solve.

Comment

In the future, the chavs won’t rip out the charging points because they’ll be syphoning them to power their portable hacking laptops and VR setups so they can jack into the Neo Matrix while on the run.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              Yes I'm double posting, apparently that's the law now, so I'll just leave this here ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-than-we-hoped
                              I'm glad they were able to find this out before some countries moronic leader decided they knew better and started messing around with the dosage timings!

Oh bugger...

UK death rate explodes

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post

Then you have the other issue of battery longevity, our car was bought brand new on a 55 plate, done less than 35k, just had to replace the original back tyres due to splitting - no problems with tread, we could be on our third or fourth battery which could easily cost £000's a time, plenty of others could be in a similar situation like the elderly, retired or those on Motability who have low mileage.
                                The Citroen Ami may be the type of thing for us, we'll see.

I'm not anti-e cars though I think I would prefer hydrogen at the minute I just think there are still some hurdles technology can hopefully solve.
                                The battery motivating electric cars lasts a lot longer than you reckon. Charging strategies, buffers etc are really helping prolong battery life. As an example BMW increased the length of the battery warranty on the i3. Most manufacturers are offering 8 years with still at least 70% capacity. Which they know they can comfortably afford to offer. Loads of rapid charging is the worst thing for a battery but even that’s getting less of a concern and most peeps will rarely use a rapid charger anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X