No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearly he's a psychopath. He demonstrated little to no empathy and no remorse. Most people in high positions are psychopaths.

Comment

The rabidly pro-Brexit fishing industry, one of the sacred altars on which the national interest was sacrificed, now protesting the consequences of Brexit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55706114

And the government that said this would be a glorious rebirth of the UK fishing industry has offered to compensate them for their losses. Bewildering.
      Last edited by Golgo; 18-01-2021, 16:19.

Comment

I have some sympathy with Lord Sumption, not on his anti-lockdown stance, but for quite some time I've felt the lives of ordinary folks are a lot more important than wealthy Eton-educated bureaucrats. We've got more of those than we could ever want and I'm not sure who really wanted them in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
          I have some sympathy with Lord Sumption, not on his anti-lockdown stance, but for quite some time I've felt the lives of ordinary folks are a lot more important than wealthy Eton-educated bureaucrats. We've got more of those than we could ever want and I'm not sure who really wanted them in the first place.
          People voted for them, so, more than half of the voting electorate. I mean, it's not hard to see why those people think they're better than other people; they're supposedly at a the top of a popularity contest.

Comment

It's a popularity contest for a rigged game, like when you could vote for prefects at my school from a shortlist chosen by the teacher. You picked whoever was going to give you the least grief and they took that as thinking they were beloved and popular (until they got their bag thrown in the duck pond).

Comment

like when you could vote for prefects at my school from a shortlist chosen by the teacher
              That's a great metaphor; we had to do that too.

Comment

It's a popularity contest for a rigged game, like when you could vote for prefects at my school from a shortlist chosen by the teacher. You picked whoever was going to give you the least grief and they took that as thinking they were beloved and popular (until they got their bag thrown in the duck pond).
                you could apply that anaoligy to brexit too The uk's well and truly had its bag thrown in the duck pond

Now we have to live with the reality not the fantasy of what Brexit has brought what did we actually gain? so far i can see what we've lost but am at a loss to see the benefits. So far massive amounts of the UK financial industry has moved to Europe, factory's and manufacturing have or are in the process of moving to Europe to avoid UK Tariffs. European aid that was provided to certain poorer community and industry has gone. We also have reduced choice and more expensive goods if we want to buy from Europe and a massive amount of red tape if we want to export (which is destroying our ability to export into europe) so again what did we gain Bar a soggy bag.

Comment

[MENTION=7652]Hirst[/MENTION] owes me a new bag, the rotter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                    you could apply that anaoligy to brexit too The uk's well and truly had its bag thrown in the duck pond

Now we have to live with the reality not the fantasy of what Brexit has brought what did we actually gain? so far i can see what we've lost but am at a loss to see the benefits. So far massive amounts of the UK financial industry has moved to Europe, factory's and manufacturing have or are in the process of moving to Europe to avoid UK Tariffs. European aid that was provided to certain poorer community and industry has gone. We also have reduced choice and more expensive goods if we want to buy from Europe and a massive amount of red tape if we want to export (which is destroying our ability to export into europe) so again what did we gain Bar a soggy bag.
                    Dunno what you're talking about mate?

Things we've gained:

1) Control
                    2) Sovereignty
                    3) £350m a week for the NHS
                    4) Everything our fishermen ever wanted
                    5) A truly global Britain

Comment

Tory money is also squeaky clean now.

Comment

We didn't have Prefects and if we did it's not as if anybody had a blazer to pin the badge on as most of us didn't bother with the full uniform either especially after the third year.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          [MENTION=7652]Hirst[/MENTION] owes me a new bag, the rotter.

Comment

A Coroner is the latest to call for a review against Smart Motorways

Comment

A UK Charity has said that 25% of the nations young feels unable to cope with life during the pandemic.

Impressive even if Guardian are stretching the levels of improvement accomplished here. A new electric battery for cars has been revealed which can charge in 5 minutes. However, despite what they open with it isn't as fast as filling up with fuel as that's 5 minutes per 100 mile range. Still a great and big step forward but given the increase in charge required it seems to continue to show how the direction could be to electric but at a station not the home.

Hancock has said that people should avoid booking a holiday abroad this year

Naturally holiday booking abroad have surged as the public once again grossly overestimates how pandemic recover works

Comment

It's a shame that the GHG and air quality gains won from the reduction in travel are going to be undone the moment people start getting on planes again. Air quality improvements in cities has been huge as less people pollute in them.

There have been environmental downsides too, I should add for balance, there's been a big increase in plastics consumption, through PPE and take-away food for example, so that waste needs to be taken care of before it ends up in the oceans.

Comment

Working...
                                X