No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it somewhat ironic that these jabs are being given in hospitals and doctors' surgeries etc.

Visiting any of those places, no matter what precautions are taken, are likely to be the most potentially dangerous outings from the health point of view a lot of 75+ years old people have made during the last 9 months. Because they have been in isolation so long, not mixing with other people, some may even have less natural immunity to such secondary infections.

It is a cliche but that's because it is true that such places are the 'best' sources to get whatever diseases are currently doing the rounds. My own experiences with hospitals and older relatives suggest that too.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      I think the traditional office is basically dead at this stage.
      I don't think it's dead but certainly companies are going to need to look at their flexible working options as a permanent thing going forwards. To be honest, whilst some companies have been good about this prior to the pandemic none of them really went far enough. Mine had a policy of working compacted hours to not work 5 days if needed and WFH up to 2 days a week... I think now it'll be more like you can WFH any days unless you're absolutely required to be in the office.

It'll be interesting to see how all industries adapt that's for sure...

Comment

^ What's the alternative (to vaccination in hospitals, etc.)? Home visits for all? Although, in that connection, I've read of some selfish ****s complaining that they have to travel anywhere at all to get this.
        Last edited by Golgo; 16-01-2021, 14:02.

Comment

Vac numbers up by just under 325k in a day (approx 321k 1st, 4k 2nd). 3.5 million total (approx 3.1m 1st, 0.4m 2nd)

Keep that up / improve it and we should hit, what I assume, is a very rigorously considered target from the gov who cannot afford another screw up. (Or can haha )

Also

Players are flown in ahead of the Australian Open while thousands of citizens are waiting to return.

Damn right. 'Tennis'...a common misspelling for 'chodes'.

Edit - Another 1295 UK deaths. This second wave peak is brutal Stay safe, stay cautious, be well folks!
          Last edited by wheelaa; 16-01-2021, 15:12.

Comment

At the current pace it will take them approx 1 year and 2 months to fully vaccinate everyone (not that they will). Roughly 20% I think of people with at least the first round by end of Lockdown which I assume will mean no end of Lockdown at the planned time

Comment

I assume there will be further ramping up. I think I may have misheard details in one of the recent 5pm updates. I thought august / autumn was spoken of as being a full pop vaccine aim, but I can't find any mention of it from a quick search so...?

I do worry about the 4 to 12 weeks change, but mostly I'm on board with getting as many 1st jabs into the most vulnerable and all those who care for them (in all settings) as quickly as possible.

Comment

The 12 week delay is one heck of a gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                  ^ What's the alternative (to vaccination in hospitals, etc.)? Home visits for all? Although, in that connection, I've read of some selfish ****s complaining that they have to travel anywhere at all to get this.
                  After posting that about hospitals/surgeries it amused me in a dark way to read that some people have actually had their vaccinations in a cathedral.

Better than hospitals/surgeries, less ill people around, but there must be logistical issues bearing in mind the storage requirements for the Pfizer vaccine in particular.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-55689072

Comment

Just continuing my disdain of all things tennis

Dozens of top players are confined to hotel rooms, as people on three flights to the event test positive.

Tools. Complete and utter.

On the vaccine rollout front, generally good news.

But Sir Simon Stevens says the health service has never been in a more precarious situation.

Hopes that every adult will have been offered a jab by September.

It comes as the government urges people to "play their part" in helping to meet vaccination targets.

10 new 'mass' Covid vac centres to open.

Potentially good news for the future re VMIC

Britain will be able to vaccinate the entire nation against dangerous new Covid strains within four months after a £158m super-factory opens later this year, The Telegraph can disclose. Dr Matthew Duchars, chief executive of the Vaccines Manufacturing Innovation Centre (VMIC), revealed the Oxfordshire facility will be capable of producing 70m doses of an emergency vaccine manufactured entirely on British soil. The news comes amid fears that a new Covid strain from Brazil may prove resistant to current vaccines. All travel corridors into the UK were scrapped this week to prevent new variants entering the country. “We’ll be able to make 70 million doses within a four to five month period, enough for everyone in the country, when we open late this year,” Dr Duchars told The Telegraph. “New Covid variants are absolutely part of the thinking. We probably will need to make seasonal vaccine variants because there may well be mutations in the virus, as well as vaccines for other diseases. You never know what’s coming next.” Currently under construction at the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, the VMIC was first conceived in 2018 and originally planned to open in 2022. When the Covid pandemic struck, the UK government pumped a further £131 million into the not-for-profit company to bring the project forward by a year. The centre is already helping to manufacture the Oxford vaccine by lending expertise and giant bioreactors to the AstraZeneca team and its partners. This week Sir Mene Pangalos, executive vice president of biopharmaceuticals research and development at AstraZeneca, told MPs that the UK’s lack of manufacturing capacity had been a major stumbling block in the development of the Oxford vaccine, and urged ministers to “urgently address” the issue. Much of the Pfizer and Oxford vaccine doses currently being rolled out in the UK are made in factories in Belgium and the Netherlands. Dr Duchars said the VMIC would be equipped to produce different types of vaccines including MRNA varieties like the Pfizer jab and adenovirus-based technology like the Oxford AstraZeneca jab. “Covid came a year early for us, unfortunately,” he said. “But when we open we’ll have a sovereign capability to manufacture different types of vaccines and still be able to make a large number of doses. “It is a challenge. But that's what we're shooting for. If you don't set yourself a tough target, then there's no chance you can reach it.” He added how the company and its new super-factory could also be used to help developers of numerous other vaccines - not just those targeting Covid-19 - from private and public organisations, whether academic institutions or foundations or private laboratories. Explaining how he believes it is “absolutely remarkable” the vaccine has been developed so quickly, he said: “We may not have a facility that's built and ready to go. But we do have people who understand how to develop and manufacture vaccines. “So, we've essentially lent them out to organisations to help them with the scale up and manufacturer of COVID-19 vaccine.” “And we've been working with lots of those different organisations to help really accelerate and speed up and provide surety and expertise around how to get this vaccine made quickly.” He said the new centre is “technology agnostic”, meaning it can be adapted to different methods for different types of vaccine and viruses. “What we didn't want to do was make a facility that would be great for making the AstraZeneca vaccine, for example, but then next year a different MERS [Middle East Respiratory Syndrome] or SARS [Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome] comes along.” he added. “That's a different type of platform and a different vaccine. So we've got to have a flexible facility that is able to make in an emergency a large amount of doses from different types of processes.”

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      The 12 week delay is one heck of a gamble.
                      Your not the only one worried about it believe me.
                      Will hopefully get work colleagues together to try and find a way we can all simultaneously get the 2nd lot sooner rather than later.

Apart from 80% the work force suffering with at least a very sore arm for 2 says, having the majority of our staff vaccinated over 2 days worked out really well.

Looking at the training I have so far gone through to potential give the vaccine, many health care professionals, retired or with training, could carry them out. I am a bit 50/50 about going ahead with my personally doing this though as the legal cover/ indemnity insurance for certain medically trained folk is unclear. With the pandemic going on certain protocols are being shifted to get more people to help and as much as I want to, I have personally witnessed what some people can accuse health professionals of doing when they have done nothing wrong and knowing how knobbish the general public has been over lockdowns I am unsure if I should go ahead.

I'm very confident in my current job with my works and my personal indemnity insurance, just concerned what support I would get being put in a difficult position with a difficult person if the cover in my field is shady on this matter.

Witnessed how it is done and I am pretty confident I can do it (I did training to give out meds back in the nursing home days but never used it as I quit soon after) as we to yearly medical emergency training which is more scary, but it still concerns me.

Comment

Former Supreme Court and anti-lockdowner Justice Lord Sumption demonstrates how the class that rules the UK are so utterly unfit for modern times as he interrupts a Stage 4 Cancer sufferer to remind her that he considers her life to be less valuable than others.

Comment

That is absolutely jaw dropping. A real wtf moment. Some prominent people are so detached from reality and lack basic empathy.

Comment

Luckily, most of them are now running the country as the electorate loves them - because they also think that people other than themselves are worth less.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                              That is absolutely jaw dropping. A real wtf moment. Some prominent people are so detached from reality and lack basic empathy.
                              It's daft, as well, because when asked, these people turn to spurious examples.

You can see it all over Twitter with his defenders; "if a maniac asked you to choose between shooting a 20 year-old or an 80 year-old, would you pick the 20 year-old?", as if that's some kind of reliable argument.

It's true that in crisis situations, medical professionals and planners, dealing with either big numbers of immediate triage, will have to make decisions that are "greatest good to greatest many", and weigh up terrible things, like who to help when the **** hits the fan. But it's prepostorous to apply that kind of thinking to a wider situation.

I get what he's saying, that a large proportion of the population is being forced to take certain actions for the benefits of the people who are vulnerable, and yes, that's a crappy situation that none of us are happy about, even though many of us are happy to put up with it because we feel that's the right thing to do.

But I think his greatest misunderstanding is that if this cockwomble were right, you'd be able to remove all the lockdown restrictions right now, and everyone would practice common sense and listen to medical advice and the country would be pretty much the same, because that's clearly what's needed.

But it wouldn't be. We all know it wouldn't be. People are useless. I say this as someone who lives by the beach and saw the crowds flock there the day after Lockdown 1 was lifted; had my street go from quiet (which is really unusual) to gridlocked with people with beach paraphernalia, BBQs and the rest of it... Not a hundred malcontents, thousands of people... This is one of those situations where the public clearly can't be just relied upon to act in a reasonable way, and the government has to exercise some control.

Do we like it? No. As someone who considers personal liberty as very important, I need to be clear, it isn't good. But it's necessary.

Comment

Imagine saying that to a cancer sufferer. You would know you are saying something hurtful.Then if you could, imagine saying that on national television so everyone knows how awful you are. He has none of that knowledge. How did he get so high in his field? It's genuinely worrying as you get older and realise that most people making these important decisions are less qualified to do so than the average citizen.

Edit: Just read your post Asura. Yes, the defenders will say that but this isn't a hypothetical. She was right there!

Comment

Working...
                                X