No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm currently selling stuff for the first time ever since signing up to Ebay in the late 90's. So far its proving mother wrong that keeping old videogames to later sell may infact have some sort of profit.

As for the new tier rules and the tomfoolery rules for Christmas I am no clearer on what on earth I am allowed to do. Currently, after the lockdown we are in a Tier 2 area and my family are in a Tier 3 area. My parents and my sister's family make 2 households (or maybe now a support bubble, at least my sister was for my mum for a while), the same goes for the bloke's family he would like to see (parents and sister's family, parents at least between lockdowns do the school run and childcare for sister). During this 'Christmas happy hour' you can't switch who you can see so we would have to see entirely one family or another without a simple hello to another.

Personally I am thinking it's fairer for everyone if we just don't visit and all have our own little Christmases. Everyone remains safe, no scary drive for me, no ferrying people around and less stress getting the time off to work around travel (still dont know if I am working over Christmas and not likely to find out for at least another week which is SUPER annoying.) It also means no one takes priority over the other with this visit. I am contemplating meeting up the country half way to do a present drop off in a service station/ hotel car park in the time between end of Lockdown and this weird Christmas time so at least people can get gifts (my mother has made a hamper for us which she hoped to send by courier but they wont send certain perishables or some other so her plans are getting more messed up). Can drive 4 hours and either drive back or stay overnight somewhere before driving back rather than 2x 8 hour trip taking 2 full days pretty much full on driving.

Would quite like a Christmas together since getting married just the two of us (traditionally don't spend Christmas Day together cause it causes drama when we try to every year, maybe 4 times in 12 years we have spent Christmas together ) yet my mum has been poorly and we've hardly seen anyone this year apart from the brief time during our wedding so overall these new rules have not really given much clarity to our personal situation at all.
    Last edited by Blobcat; 26-11-2020, 21:27.

Comment

Sunak has hidden his wifes portfolio of wealth worth multiple millions.

Arcadia Group is close to collapse

Electric cars have to travel as far as 50,000 miles to match the carbon footprint of a petrol model because of the massive amount of energy consumed during th

And a new report says that an electric car has to travel 50,000 miles before it begins to be responsible for less emissions than a petrol car. In effect, a deadline for transitioning to e-car sales will drive pollution levels up for years.

Comment

Sunak's missus is more minted than the Queen!

Comment

The problem with articles like that last one on the cost of e-car transitioning is that it doesn't take into account the almost unquantifiable costs of local concentration of pollution. The health cost of pollution in cities caused by petrol and diesel vehicles must be millions of pounds every year. Each vehicle is its own little local pollution generator.

So whilst I'm not surprised electrical vehicle manufacturing is far less 'green' than has been sold to us the health benefits at a local level I'd think will still be immediate and beneficial.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 27-11-2020, 15:30.

Comment

Hydrogen cars are the future in other noteworthy weekly news...

"The attempt to censor Jordan Peterson shows the intolerance of the social justice generation"

The writer won't be the last victim of a new generation of 'progressives'

I personally find cancel culture disgusting morally...

Suzanne Moore has been ex-communicated from the leftistic fascist Guardian for having un-woke views and now writes for The Daily Mail on female issues...in the name of free speech

Quote = "The New Left have the Intelligence of Whelks"

Douglas Murray is always exceptional

Spectator Snippet 28 November Edition...

Carole Cadwalladr should now return her Orwell Prize

A small but significant event has just occurred. This morning the legal case between Arron Banks and the journalist Carole Cadwalladr was due to start. The case came about because of Cadwalladr’s claim that Arron Banks – who was a founder of the Leave.EU campaign (the non-official Leave campaign) – was offered money by the

Asmall but significant event has just occurred. This morning the legal case between Arron Banks and the journalist Carole Cadwalladr was due to start. The case came about because of Cadwalladr’s claim that Arron Banks – who was a founder of the Leave.EU campaign (the non-official Leave campaign) – was offered money by the Russians. Cadwalladr has been going around for years making these and other unfounded accusations in every forum and on every platform she can manage. It is not as though her campaign has been obscure. The Observer newspaper has supported her, and as her entirely unsubstantiated claims grew, she was shamefully awarded the Orwell Prize for journalism.
            Last edited by CAPCOM; 27-11-2020, 17:04.

Comment

[MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] you have got a lot to answer for, mate.

Comment

I will say Hydrogen Fuel is the future of motoring for a few reasons.
                1: there simply isn't enough Lithium in the world just to supply the UK with battery powered cars.
                2: Charging cars is slow
                3: electricity is still produced from gas and oil burning in this country
                4: Hydrogen fuel stations are exactly the same as your current ones. Pump in the fuel, drive off. Done.
                5: Hydrogen is converted back in to water leaving no emissions.

The only down side is Hydrogen isnt easy to produce. It might be the most abundant element, but it's rarely found on its own. You have to expend quite alot of energy striping it from its attachments.

Comment

In other news the BBC slips to the bottom of the pile for impartiality.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] you have got a lot to answer for, mate.
                    Yeah seriously dude what have you started??

Comment

No surprises there its the digital Guardian with moving pictures!

Hopefully the government can drag it back right to the centre.

I already read Guido earlier about this oh so obvious fact...

Last edited by CAPCOM; 27-11-2020, 18:48.

Comment

Fawkes and the Spectator?
                        Are these not effectively government sources with Johnson and his mistress's links?

The tier system allows the lockdown to continue as a set of regional ones while the government can say (with their sources) that there is no national lockdown.

Comment

The NHS may receive its first doses of the Pfizer COVID vaccine within the next 10 days

SAGE experts suggest the Xmas break could potentially see COVID rates double

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            I will say Hydrogen Fuel is the future of motoring for a few reasons.
                            1: there simply isn't enough Lithium in the world just to supply the UK with battery powered cars.
                            2: Charging cars is slow
                            3: electricity is still produced from gas and oil burning in this country
                            4: Hydrogen fuel stations are exactly the same as your current ones. Pump in the fuel, drive off. Done.
                            5: Hydrogen is converted back in to water leaving no emissions.

The only down side is Hydrogen isnt easy to produce. It might be the most abundant element, but it's rarely found on its own. You have to expend quite alot of energy striping it from its attachments.
                            Not sure about some of your points there.
                            1. I’m not a geologist but battery companies have bought futures in lithium so there must be loads of it around the planet.
                            2. Car charging speeds are improving but think about how many hours in a day you actually use your car. When your at home not using your car it can be topping up on a cheap overnight tariff. The majority of the country’s drivers don’t even do twenty miles a day.
                            3. There’s a lot more use of renewable generation now than fossil fuel generation. There’s a lot of fossil fuel power stations sitting idle these days which is only used as a backup when demand is high typically 1600 - 1900 during the week. Scotland is awash with renewable electricity generation it’s presently over three times enough for every household in the country. With more capacity to come.
                            4. Hydrogen has to be stored and transported in pressurised vessels which will cost a fortune to install at every fueling station not to mention the cost of the road tankers etc. Satefy systems and inspection regimes will be more costly too. Electricity is already widely available all over the country.
                            5. No local emissions is great but BEVs manage that too.

I used to work on a hydrogen production plant and still work in the oil industry but even I can see there are too many drawbacks to fuel cell cars. The fuel cells are inefficient, expensive to make and the investment in the required infrastructure doesn’t seem economically viable.

Comment

If you do some quick googling I found a number of articles talking about lithium reserves. Current estimates are around 53 million tonnes, a car uses around 50kg. That's what, about 5 million cars? There are 40 million cars in the UK.
                              Even recycling lithium and using salt production you'll never, ever, have enough Lithium. That's not including lithium used in phones, cameras, tablets and playstation controllers.

Comment

The sooner we get out there and mine other planets into oblivion the better.

Comment

Working...
                                X