• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall summary of the respiratory viruses in circulation within the UK

24,071 today, a little down on last Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      I fully expect the government to allow us all to mingle and meet over Xmas. It makes them look kind.
      'looks at us, we are giving you all Xmas!'
      Of course it will mean a spike in deaths.
      Yeah - I'm fully expecting the message to be 'Boris saves Christmas!' in mid-December.

Then in mid-January a massive wave of COVID deaths, naturally.

Bloody Christmas, honestly. Johnson recently said he didn't want kids who get free school meals going hungry 'at Christmas'. What about the rest of the bloody year???? It's like A Christmas friggin Carol.

Argh. I loathe this government with every fibre of my being. Cruel, nasty, incompetent.
      Last edited by wakka; 28-10-2020, 17:57.

Comment

I've mentioned this to a few people recently and they all said "oh my god, I'd forgotten that!"

The prime minister said 12 weeks. It was obvious nonsense but I'm genuinely not sure he really thought it was serious enough to know that it was errant nonsense.

Comment

A new poll suggests the constant Tory PR campaign of blaming the EU for Brexit talks has failed as it suggests a majority of the british public would blame Boris Johnson if he fails to secure a trade deal. 65% said government had generally failed with talks with 57% saying the UK is to blame for talks failures.

Whilst a cross party group has begun legal action against Johnson over his refusal to investigate Kremlin interference in the UK election.

Research has found that the UK's R-rating is now above 2.0 in the south and that current measures are failing. We are now said to be at a critical stage and that any further delay in enacting a full lockdown will ensure Christmas is lost.

Bear in mind - cases started to rise in September and it's still only October. We have November, December, January, February, March, April, May and June still to go highlighting how stupid current approach is and also the scale of failure the Tories have carried out over the utterly wasted Summer period.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...rtan-dhp-feeds
            A new poll suggests the constant Tory PR campaign of blaming the EU for Brexit talks has failed as it suggests a majority of the british public would blame Boris Johnson if he fails to secure a trade deal. 65% said government had generally failed with talks with 57% saying the UK is to blame for talks failures.
            Those figures bother me, because given the country's split in the referendum of ~50/50, you'd expect both of those things to be 50% anyway. If a pollster asks me "with regards to Brexit, has the gov't..." I kinda immediately interrupt and ask "what's the 'bad' option?"

Who are the 35% of people who feel it's being handled well?!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...research-finds
            Research has found that the UK's R-rating is now above 2.0 in the south and that current measures are failing. We are now said to be at a critical stage and that any further delay in enacting a full lockdown will ensure Christmas is lost.
            My only worry with this is that the whole idea smacks of trying to bribe the Antivax Facebook Moms with a lockdown so they can have a proper Christmas, when we should be saying we're having a lockdown and that still doesn't mean Christmas is going to be business as usual.

I'm really worried, given the temperature, that if the gov't tries to have another lockdown, the conspiracy nuts and pricks that have been packing Weatherspoons are going to riot. And people are going to get hurt.

Comment

All the messaging etc has been utterly blown apart by the Tories. We locked down March-Jun meaning that if we allow COVID levels to reach the same levels they were early this year it would take a national lockdown lasting November-February to get back to where we started at best but public support has failed because of the handling of things meaning rule breaking would likely extend that though the Tories would aim to reduce the timespan.

Basically, in every scenario we're screwed thanks to the utter disconnect between what the Tories want, what the public want and what reality necessitates.

It'll be interesting to see what anti-lockdown peeps turn to blame next when the virus eclipses Wave 01, hospitals are overrun meaning people can't get treated and planned operations & treatments are cancelled anyway for months longer than before, consumers don't feel safe so stay in more causing businesses to continue to collapse which in turn drives unemployment which drives further business failures as the number of consumers with disposable income plummets. That and the whole mental health aspect which takes the issues of isolation from the first round but compounds it with a seemingly endless scenario of lost jobs, deaths, sickness, long term health issues, homelessness etc.

It's not even like the announcement of a vaccine, say next Easter, would even draw a line under COVID. It'll take the rest fo 2021 and possibly beyond to circulate it making all these issues unavoidable and that's without accounting for Brexit and the Great Recession. Every day waited now will simply compound every issues to be far worse than a second lockdown ever would be and boy, will the Tories wait and wait until it becomes megaton damage time.

Comment

It's not even like the announcement of a vaccine, say next Easter, would even draw a line under COVID. It'll take the rest fo 2021 and possibly beyond to circulate it making all these issues unavoidable and that's without accounting for Brexit and the Great Recession. Every day waited now will simply compound every issues to be far worse than a second lockdown ever would be and boy, will the Tories wait and wait until it becomes megaton damage time.
                Gonna call it now.

This is gonna drag on for ages, and UKIP will rebrand themselves as the "party of freedom" and try to pull in the COVID deniers.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...research-finds
                  It's okay, that famous epidemiologist Rocco Forte says they're over-reacting: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b1417008.html

Oh, and that he doesn't have any money - so the actual real reason he doesn't like lockdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    It's okay, that famous epidemiologist Rocco Forte says they're over-reacting: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b1417008.html

Oh, and that he doesn't have any money - so the actual real reason he doesn't like lockdowns.
                    Hmmm...

Sir Rocco said: “I’m looking at an outflow of cash for the current financial year of £60-odd million pounds. That’s money just gone out of the window, it’s money that I won’t recover and it’s money that won’t be invested. So it’s a pretty grim situation.”
                    No offence (all offence really ofc) but if you can survive an outflow of 60 million quid and not be, well, about 55 million quid in the red, then quit your whinging and open up your wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Gonna call it now.

This is gonna drag on for ages, and UKIP will rebrand themselves as the "party of freedom" and try to pull in the COVID deniers.
                      Incidentally, I had a look into the local ‘truther’ group, who pathetically protest every weekend, and the ringleaders are literally all ex UKIP, BXP people who’ve been into that sort of politics locally going back years. Wasn’t surprised, unfortunately.

Comment

Probably members of neogaf too

Report finds that Labour is anti-semetic

Comment

Neogaf is probably the most grim place on the entire Internet. I don't know what they put in the water over there.

Comment

It's taken such a deep dive into hard right wing views, it's almost impressive as to the extent to which no effort to moderate it is made anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                              Neogaf is probably the most grim place on the entire Internet. I don't know what they put in the water over there.
                              IIRC - it turned that way after the owner was accused of sexual harassment. The forum had an exodus, and those leaving formed ResetEra. Those who stayed were presumably a mix of those who didn't believe the person accusing him, those who didn't want any "politics" on the board (which tends to include those people who come out of the woodwork to try and shout down discussion on progressive topics) or those who just didn't care enough to have an opinion.

I've never had an account. I tried to join when it was at its peak, over ten years ago, and never received my authorisation email (they were handled manually).

Comment

Corbyn suspended from Labour due to his former handling and ongoing 'not me guv.' comments around (the utterly disgusting) anti-Semiticism within the Labour Party.

And seemingly unable to wear a mask properly. Twonk.

(Apologies for the 'quality' of the link lol.)

Comment

Working...
                                X