No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this country places too much emphasis on mega corporations anyway. Amazon is a miserable grief hole of zero hour contracts, gig economy workers on trackers and people living in tents outside the warehouse. I'd rather we had a vast array of small businesses than a few places that aspire to be OCP off RoboCop.

Comment

Yeah, but they do have next day Prime shipping

Comment

I think I must be the only guy in the country who doesn't really use Amazon. Their website shows your entire ordering history, mine goes back to something like 2003 and I think I'm up to order 6 or 7. It's not out of any massive effort because I hate them, it's just rare I find them to be the cheapest seller of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
          We treat the super-rich as if they're some kind of untouchable force like the weather or the ocean.
          Oh and the boot-licking!

Why are people so keen to defend the billionaires.

The only one I like is Bill Gates because he's trying to do some good with his money.
          You still get people moaning that because he's invested billions in a Coronavirus vaccine, but think he wants to implant a nanochip to log every time they go to the Spar for more Rizlas and Pringles.

In the same breath, they praise Bezos for being a self-made gazillionaire.

Comment

Jesus wept Starmer, just draw a line under them already and effectively get tell them to shut up or sod off. It couldn't be clearer at this point as to how much the Corbynite group are the real poison within Labour.

Comment

^ True. There's only 13 of them, report said. That's too much political capital to waste on such a small coterie of Trotskyite onanists.

Comment

I was not going to share this but as its beginning to to piss me off I'm 99% certain I have Covid 19. I'm 8 days into self-imposed isolation and have lost all sense of smell and taste since then despite my nose/sinuses not being blocked. Very weird.

The worst though is the dry, very tickly cough, dry mouth and mild headache; I've had that for 7 days and not thrown it off yet although it is very slowly improving day by day. No idea about temperature.

Question is where the **** did I get it?

I had not been past my front door, even to put my bins out for two weeks plus prior to the first recognised symptoms. I was fine on that Monday and did a top up shop at a local supermarket. All normal precautions and additional ones taken as usual during the shop and on arrival back home.

Two hours later I had tea and biscuits and realised I couldn't taste anything.

The time frame is just too short for it to have been caught at the supermarket. So my only conclusion is that it was picked up from the post or leaflets delivered some time in the previous week. It is the only explanation I can think of as I've not had contact with anyone directly in at least three weeks.

Again, I'm scrupulous when opening mail and, when I've sorted it out, hands and surfaces potentially contaminated are thoroughly cleaned too.

Comment

I'm presuming "all normal precautions" included wearing a mask at the local supermarket?

Biggest way to catch it is by having a conversation with someone who has it, inside without masks.
                  Surfaces are less likely to be the cause:

COVID-19 spreads very easily from person to person
                  How easily a virus spreads from person to person can vary. The virus that causes COVID-19 appears to spread more efficiently than influenza but not as efficiently as measles, which is among the most contagious viruses known to affect people.

COVID-19 most commonly spreads during close contact
                  • People who are physically near (within 6 feet) a person with COVID-19 or have direct contact with that person are at greatest risk of infection.
                  • When people with COVID-19 cough, sneeze, sing, talk, or breathe they produce respiratory droplets. These droplets can range in size from larger droplets (some of which are visible) to smaller droplets. Small droplets can also form particles when they dry very quickly in the airstream.
                  • Infections occur mainly through exposure to respiratory droplets when a person is in close contact with someone who has COVID-19.
                  • Respiratory droplets cause infection when they are inhaled or deposited on mucous membranes, such as those that line the inside of the nose and mouth.
                  • As the respiratory droplets travel further from the person with COVID-19, the concentration of these droplets decreases. Larger droplets fall out of the air due to gravity. Smaller droplets and particles spread apart in the air.
                  • With passing time, the amount of infectious virus in respiratory droplets also decreases.

COVID-19 can sometimes be spread by airborne transmission
                  • Some infections can be spread by exposure to virus in small droplets and particles that can linger in the air for minutes to hours. These viruses may be able to infect people who are further than 6 feet away from the person who is infected or after that person has left the space.
                  • This kind of spread is referred to as airborne transmission and is an important way that infections like tuberculosis, measles, and chicken pox are spread.
                  • There is evidence that under certain conditions, people with COVID-19 seem to have infected others who were more than 6 feet away. These transmissions occurred within enclosed spaces that had inadequate ventilation. Sometimes the infected person was breathing heavily, for example while singing or exercising.
                  • Under these circumstances, scientists believe that the amount of infectious smaller droplet and particles produced by the people with COVID-19 became concentrated enough to spread the virus to other people. The people who were infected were in the same space during the same time or shortly after the person with COVID-19 had left.
                  • Available data indicate that it is much more common for the virus that causes COVID-19 to spread through close contact with a person who has COVID-19 than through airborne transmission. [1]

COVID-19 spreads less commonly through contact with contaminated surfaces
                  • Respiratory droplets can also land on surfaces and objects. It is possible that a person could get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or eyes.
                  • Spread from touching surfaces is not thought to be a common way that COVID-19 spreads

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                    I think I must be the only guy in the country who doesn't really use Amazon. Their website shows your entire ordering history, mine goes back to something like 2003 and I think I'm up to order 6 or 7. It's not out of any massive effort because I hate them, it's just rare I find them to be the cheapest seller of anything.
                    We try not to buy from them if we possibly can, you're right if you do some digging you'll get cheaper elsewhere in a lot of cases but I don't mind paying a bit more to support a local company - for local people.

Comment

What would a state-owned Amazon look like? Ask Argentina

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                        ^ True. There's only 13 of them, report said. That's too much political capital to waste on such a small coterie of Trotskyite onanists.
                        Trotskyist Onanists did a Peel session in 1986, if I remember right. One of the classics.

Comment

For 5 days over Xmas up to 3 households can mix together.

Because it's not naive at all to assume everyone will snap back to the rules for New Years.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-for-five-days

For 5 days over Xmas up to 3 households can mix together.

Because it's not naive at all to assume everyone will snap back to the rules for New Years.

A real wtf moment for future historians.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              I'm presuming "all normal precautions" included wearing a mask at the local supermarket?
                              .................................................. .........................................
                              Of course, much as I still hate mask wearing I've been diligently wearing one when shopping since it became compulsory.

I can say with 100% certainty I had not had close contact with anyone in the 18 days before I first recognised the symptoms. I've not even spoken to anyone. As said I'd not been out of the front door during the whole of that time.

There's no way I could have got it person to person, I socially distance when walking to the supermarket and back and apart from thanking the checkout person who was wearing all the gear too that's the only and closest human contact I've had in the last three weeks. Unless the gestation period can be literally just a two hours it must have come from some other source.

That why I've guessed that my mail or unsolicited leaflets were contaminated; it could even have been my local council's utterly useless Covid-19 update pamphlet which came 10 days ago. Now that would be ironic.

Comment

Alberta is back to a **** show.

Online learning is back November 30th to January 11th.

I.e. I'm at home until the first week of January.

Comment

Working...
                                X