Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 6

GoldenEye
    Metal Gear Solid
    Ridge Racer
    Sega Rally
    Soul Edge
    Tekken 3

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-08-2020, 07:51.

Ridge Racer - This was a dream in the arcades and a dream on PlayStation. Not many games have such a distinctive identity driven by design, sound and a doozey of a handling system. I remember the first time I played it and getting the back end to drift out for the first time. The control was just as great with a controller too. I think the Japanese launch of this and Virtua fighter with both new systems was the most exciting period of gaming I can remember.

Metal Gear Solid - I knew little about this but picked up the Japanese Premium Ed from my local indie after seeing it running in there. Proper game changer.

Goldeneye - This is one of those games that seemed to come from nowhere and was so much more than I expected. As soon as I shot the guard's cap off while he was on the throne I was hooked.

Comment

Golden Eye 64 - At 1st I wasn't going to get this game, after the likes of GamesMaster making out it was little more than a VC clone I think it was either Lee or Antony at Dreamware who said I needed to buy this game now.. So glad I did, one of the best FPS ever (still to this day) Love how it followed the film so well, and shouting the guard while he's having a poo, never gets old

Sega Rally The best handling racer of all time, still perfect and unbeaten to this very day

Metal Gear Solid A true WOW game and where you were hooked from start to finish and looked to replay the game even after you finished it. One of those rare games where you don't mind watching people play the game, so you can take it all in.

Comment

Tough one, Metal Gear Solid and Ridge Racer are a given but number 3? Hmmmm. Goldeneye feels like the odd one out imo, it's not held up like the rest.

Metal Gear Solid
        The Konami jingle gets me every time.

It's still a brilliant game and easily one of the best games of that generation. From start to finish, me and my friends were in awe.

Ridge Racer
        Pure arcade bliss, I prefer this over Sega Rally. I prefer all of Namco's output over Sega's for that period really.

Tekken 3
        It was this or Sega Rally but tbh, I rinsed Tekken 3 back in the day and I still love it now. Bryan was my goto character although I did like Hwoarang and Eddy Gordo as well.

Comment

Metal Gear Solid
          Sega Rally
          Soul Edge

Goldeneye was great but time has haggered it in a way the other titles haven't suffered by. For the others they decide themselves for me based on what they're up against. I prefer Rally to Ridge and Soul to Tekken 3 so easy pickings

Comment

GoldenEye

Ridge Racer

Tekken 3 if only for this:

Last edited by teddymeow; 01-08-2020, 11:25.

Comment

Now I really want to play Tekken 3.

It all went downhill after that.

Tekken 7 is on GamePass so I'm going to give that a go but there's something about 3. I remember rinsing the special demo disc that came on OPM with my younger bro on his PlayStation (which I'd convinced him to get because I was a full-on Nintendo fanboy!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                I think the Japanese launch of this and Virtua fighter with both new systems was the most exciting period of gaming I can remember.
                As much as I thought Virtua Fighter was impressive, having Ridge Racer in the home felt even more astonishing. One moment I was playing the arcade version and thinking it's cutting edge, then a little while later I see it running on Sony's new machine in an import shop. It was such an amazing port that played like a dream.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Goldeneye - This is one of those games that seemed to come from nowhere and was so much more than I expected. As soon as I shot the guard's cap off while he was on the throne I was hooked.
                I remember not being overly interested in it after seeing previews in magazines, but when I got to play it, I instantly knew it was something very special. RARE did a brilliant job making their FPS feel distinct and really advanced in many respects. It was also a really addictive multiplayer experience.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Love how it followed the film so well, and shooting the guard while he's having a poo, never gets old
                Yeah, a classic moment in gaming.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Sega Rally The best handling racer of all time, still perfect and unbeaten to this very day
                Yeah, the handling felt really satisfying in the arcade and at home. I remember being blown away by how good the Saturn port was. It's always been one of my go-to Saturn games.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                Ridge Racer
                Pure arcade bliss, I prefer this over Sega Rally. I prefer all of Namco's output over Sega's for that period really.
                As much as I will always be a fan of Sega Rally, Ridge Racer is the racer from that period that I'm most fond of. I just love the whole design and vibe. The PS1 version still puts a smile on my face with its colourful graphics and pumping techno music.

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Tekken 3 if only for this:
                Yeah, the music in Tekken 3 is awesome. It makes the fighting feel even more intense. Namco were such a great company back then.

Comment

Metal Gear Solid is top for me. The atmosphere it created was really immersive. Its characters and scenes are still remembered today. Despite its backtracking, it was one of the best games of its time.

Tekken 3 was an excellent sequel.

Can't really choose another - never had Sega Rally, Ridge or Soul Edge until decades later, and didn't really get into Golden Eye.

Comment

The game options confuse me in these sometimes , a bit random. I'd choose Ridge but the bonus 60 version that came with Rr4, after playing and loving that the original seemed rough.

The intro to soul edge is one of my faves ever, but I choose Tekken because we played that for months and months. The loading times seemed unbelievably fast. I played that till I saw Soul Calibur on a DC and it had suddenly aged a decade when I played it again. Weird, that.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                      The game options confuse me in these sometimes
                      I just choose a bunch of good to great games and then see what people like most. It is quite random, but a bit of thought goes into the selection.

a bit random. I'd choose Ridge but the bonus 60 version that came with Rr4, after playing and loving that the original seemed rough.
                      The bonus 'Ridge Racer Turbo' is impressive, but it's a shame there's only one opponent. It's a nice tech demo though.

The intro to soul edge is one of my faves ever, but I choose Tekken because we played that for months and months. The loading times seemed unbelievably fast. I played that till I saw Soul Calibur on a DC and it had suddenly aged a decade when I played it again. Weird, that.

What a great intro.

I'd choose Soul Edge, because the weapon-based fighting appeals to me more. But Tekken 3 was an excellent game that I played a lot.

SoulCalibur was released in the arcades using Namco's System 12, which was similar to the PS1 hardware. I remember seeing it in 1998, then in 1999 Namco released the much improved Dreamcast version, which boosted the visuals considerably. I guess we would have got a PS1 port if the Dreamcast version hadn't been made.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-08-2020, 20:41.

Comment

My votes:

Ridge Racer: There's something really uplifting about the whole design -- from the vibrant graphics to the infectious techno music. I also love the way it plays, so still go back to it on the PS1. I just wish there were more content.

Sega Rally: This racer also has an uplifting charm about it that has always kept me coming back for more and more. I loved it in the arcades and on the Saturn. It's also a great example of how special '90s racers were.

Soul Edge: I remember thinking this game looked truly astonishing back in the day. The weapon-based combat was brilliantly realised. Every component of this game was expertly crafted to make the whole package something very special.

Comment

The votes so far:

Ridge Racer: 5 votes
                          Metal Gear Solid: 5 votes
                          Tekken 3: 4 votes
                          GoldenEye: 3 votes
                          Sega Rally: 3 votes
                          Soul Edge: 2 votes

Comment

Working...
                          X