No announcement yet.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got a reason to redeem some MS Rewards, one month claimed and beginning the download

Comment

Originally posted by gambit6613 View Post
      Come out of that and reload it, i had that a few times but after a couple of opening and closing it brought up a proper downloader. Be warned its taking a long time. Not sure if its a download issue or that fact its downloading and uncrompressing as it goes. I was going well, done 26gigs in about 2 hours but its taken 1 hour to do literally 2gigs.
      Cheers, this did kick off the installer, but it's crawling along. 93GB download which I left on overnight and it's only managed 30GB. I'd have expected that to have completed by 6am for any other storefront on my connection. At this rate it's going to take another 24-36 hours to complete.

Comment

Suddenly those 10 DVDs don't look too onerous to install.

Comment

I don't know whether to cancel it or not. Given the download speed, I do suspect that changing the region to NZ has caused the storefront to download from a NZ server. What I don't want to happen is if I cancel it, that 30GB starts over. Mind, it'd probably still be quicker if this was the case and it switched to a UK based cache.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            I don't know whether to cancel it or not. Given the download speed, I do suspect that changing the region to NZ has caused the storefront to download from a NZ server. What I don't want to happen is if I cancel it, that 30GB starts over. Mind, it'd probably still be quicker if this was the case and it switched to a UK based cache.
            I had a similar issue like this, i got to like 27GB and then it just didnt move for ages, i waited 20mins just to make sure it wasnt installing or something, so i closed the downloader and re-opened it again and it worked fine. I didnt lose any progress. It took my total remaining download from 92 or so GB to 70GB so certainly knew it had downloaded the previous 30 or so GB. But it was a slow process. In end it took me about 6 hours to complete the whole process. But boy is it worth it.

Comment

This is painful - I stopped it and it's going into the game now proper, but I can't start a flight and there doesn't seem to be an update check in the options I can find at the mo (edit updates appear to be in content manager, but there's no way to force it to start the update in-game).

The UI is pretty terrible, the default transparency setting means you can't see half the text, I've turned that off so it's readable. There's a rolling cache which doesn't default to the install drive (why?!?) instead it defaults to C:\ - this is worth checking as the rolling cache is where the internet downloads are stored to and I imagine if you don't control this it'll end up eating all your OS drive space. Changing the default takes ages to apply too.

First impressions are not great tbh, it shouldn't be this much work to get PC games up and running in the times of Steam. It really should be completely seemless.

Edit - okay, have managed to get it to start the update again (now showing 48GB to d/l), but it required the PC to reboot, just restarting the game wasn't enough.

But why-oh-why-oh-why does it insist in playing the bg-music at 100% whilst it's doing a 90GB download? Don't. Do. That. Had to go into the advance sound settings to turn sound off just for that app. Really really annoying.
              Last edited by MartyG; 18-08-2020, 13:09.

Comment

OMG came here for exactly the same thing, why can't you mute the updater music I essentially cant use my PC for much in the next 10 hours this thing is downloading for.

Did this and it worked : If the music is bothering you (it will), right click the speaker in your system tray and open the volume mixer. Then mute the hell out of the installer.

Feeling absolutely mugged off that I started the download overnight but it only did the pre-install, still 92gb to get. Fek sake, crap.
                Last edited by Baseley09; 18-08-2020, 13:36.

Comment

If this is using the same severs as other Windows Store stuff... I onyl have a 15Mb/s link but Forza Horizon 4 took 2 weeks to download so I guess I'm never playing this lol!

Comment

Really bizzare reading through all the issues people seem to be having, i guess i have been lucky in that apart from the hang up yesterday it is working like a charm and with zero issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      If this is using the same severs as other Windows Store stuff... I onyl have a 15Mb/s link but Forza Horizon 4 took 2 weeks to download so I guess I'm never playing this lol!
                      there's a ruckus forming online; you can only refund Steam games if they've been played less than 2 hours I think, but this takes longer than that to download for practically everyone, so some people are trying to refund it and discovering they can't.

Comment

downloading now started a few hours ago....will likely not finish until late this evening

Comment

The last 50GB finished downloaded in a couple of hours - I've played the sim for about an hour, first impressions I think I prefer the X-Plane 11 flight model, but without doubt FS2020 looks way and above better than any other flight sim, possible to spot local landmarks and fly VFR without having to rely on a map.

The default controller mappings are okay, but it needs a bit of tweaking as the game is making buttons up, even though it recognises the stick correctly. The biggest downside of all, no VR support which makes X-Plane 11 superior even though it's not as good looking.

Comment

Check out the white cliffs of Dover. Not as high as I remember them.,.

Comment

Chugging a bit on my system tho mostly runs OK apart from the initial start up - 6 core xeon not really troubled think my 780ti needs an upgrade.

Comment

VR support is coming next year I think.. sure I read that somewhere

Comment

Working...
                                X