Yuzo Koshiro is on Radio 1 tonight at 2am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yuzo Koshiro is on Radio 1 tonight at 2am

2am is a little on the late side even for me, but I'll be listening to this tomorrow on iPlayer to see what Yuzo Koshiro plays

Good shout out, Cepp.

Comment

Replayable here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000ld97

First track picked out from Koshiro is Enigma's Sadness. Heard it so many times but never connected the two, proper lightbulb moment in my head hearing it as a key piece of SoR inspiration.

Comment

I was going to listen to this, but the graphics look crap so I'm not going to bother.

Comment

The show starts properly at the 20 minute mark. The host plays some questionable tracks before that.

Listening to it now, I'm going to make a list afterwards of artists so I can explore this further.

Yuzo Koshiro speaks really good English.

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          First track picked out from Koshiro is Enigma's Sadness. Heard it so many times but never connected the two, proper lightbulb moment in my head hearing it as a key piece of SoR inspiration.
          It was my first time hearing it but yeah, there's a very clear influence there.
          Last edited by Cepp; 03-08-2020, 12:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            The show starts properly at the 20 minute mark. The host plays some questionable tracks before that.

Listening to it now, I'm going to make a list afterwards of artists so I can explore this further.

Yuzo Koshiro speaks really good English.

It was my first time hearing it but yeah, there's a very clear influence there.
            I can't believe you guys have never noticed that. I did way back when Bare Knuckle 1 was released. It was the first thing I said to my brother. "hey, listen to my Mega Drive do Enigma." or something like that I said.
            Maybe I'm just an old fart and was in to music quite a bit back then.

Comment

Most of the Streets of Rage 1 music is like-for-like for some real life track, it gets a bit more complicated with Streets of Rage 2 where some are arguably a mix of two/three tracks (though that beach stage is definitely just "Black Box - Everybody Everybody" and nothing else).

As an aside, I can't believe nobody else seems to notice the Sonic 1 Scrap Brain Zone music is the end credits of Blade Runner by Vangelis.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                I was going to listen to this, but the graphics look crap so I'm not going to bother.
                Clipart?

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                  Clipart?
                  Clipart GOTY m8.

Comment

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Maybe I'm just an old fart and was in to music quite a bit back then.
                      I didn't want to bring up the fact that I was 7 when Streets of Rage came out, but if you insist

Comment

I was just 6

Comment

I was 8

I’ve listened to this mix three times in a row. It’s wunderbar

Comment

Someone made a video of his influences for the Streets / knuckles games but it would keep getting taken down for copyright. There were lists as well , years ago. I knew of some of the originals but not others.

He was in sampling mode back then and I wonder what the Super Shinobi influences were. Him making his own sound drivers , if I recall correctly, and the sound he got from the MD is worthy of praise. And getting his name on the Shinobi title screen.

Comment

Would just like to say I'm not knocking his skill up there, it takes a lot of talent to get the sounds of out the MD that he did - the games all use custom sound drivers that were programmed fully or partly by him to fully take advantage of the limitations of the sound chips. It takes a deep knowledge of both music and programming to get where he did. It's mind-boggling to think how clever you have to be to get those sounds out of a machine by knocking up your own driver to get the exact sound you want, as opposed to the GEMS system used by a lot of (mostly Western) developers, which was a glorified MIDI converter and didn't use the channels correctly. It meant you could port music across quickly, but at the expense of it generally sounding tinny/crunchy/farty no matter how well composed it was. A bit like having an orchestra playing on a bunch of out-of-tune recorders from a primary school.

Comment

Working...
                              X