Retro|Spective 146: Strider

History in Games:
    1989 - Strider
    1989 - Strider NES
    1990 - Strider II
    2000 - Strider 2
    2014 - Strider

Overview:
    Set in a futuristic dysopia, Strider has the player taking on the role of an acrobatic ninja as he uses a range of moves and power ups to slice and dice his way through enemies and levels in five environments ranging from the jungle through to others like the siberian wilderness. A big success for Capcom, they began releasing ports of the game on home formats alongside a NES version which changed up the gameplay somewhat. The next year saw another game retooled as a quick and easy sequel which immediately sullied the series name meaning it would be another decade before Capcom got around to making a true sequel to the game. The sequel updated the gameplay and visuals but in a 3D era it would once again be 14 years till the next game, a reboot that once again updated the central 2D playstyle. This entry remains the most recent version of the series produced.

Which is the best entry and is it beyond time for a new entry?

I've always really liked the whole design of the original Strider. The Amiga port was disappointing, but then the Mega Drive port really impressed me.

Strider 2 on the PS1 is a great sequel that is top quality in all areas. It's best to forget about the dull 'Strider II' US Gold released.

The modern version of Strider that came out on the 360 & PS3 didn't grab me. It's clearly a well made game technically, but there's something about the vibe/atmosphere that feels too sterile for my liking. I can see why some people like it, but it's not my cup of tea.

I'd like to see another Strider, but it would have to have more colour and some really interesting design. A game heavily inspired by the original but with all the bells & whistles modern tech allows for.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-08-2020, 21:21.

Comment

Subsequent Strider’s have lost that cool Soviet feel of the original game. Even the latest game felt a little too westernised, while still having many beats from the first title. Love the aesthetic and sound to the original, very unique with its Cold War vibes.

Comment

Nothing beats Strider on the Mega Drive or the MD Strider Japanese box art .

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          Nothing beats Strider on the Mega Drive or the MD Strider Japanese box art .
          X68000

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
            X68000
            Noone likes a showoff .

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              Noone likes a showoff .
              My computer that cost 20 times as much as a Mega Drive has a better port of Strider.

Comment

Comment

@vanpeebles

Back when 16Mhz was cutting edge.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                    Your Archimedes is far better Vans

Comment

Working...
                    X