Street Fighter VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post
    I hope they bring this out as a more complete package at release. I love the series, but the drip feeding that's been going on here has stopped me from ever getting SFV.
    I'm going to be interested to see what they do.

Honestly, I would prefer the traditional approach of a big roster, but I could accept the sort of approach they made with V if they do it better.

The problem, for me, was that SFV was the success of Overwatch; it gave Capcom (and other publishers) this impression that people would be willing to both buy a game full price, and put up with a League of Legends style drip-fed, drip-SOLD character roster. Fortunately the results of this have been a bit mixed, especially for fighting games.

I would've been fine if Street Fighter V had been free-to-play with the model they used.

League of Legends uses a system where the game is entirely free, but each week, there are a limited number of characters you can use. If you like a character, you can buy that character, and then you have it forever, but if you don't, you never know when it will "rotate" back into the free list. The other aspect to this, also, is that (last time I checked) you could buy a decent chunk of the roster for the price of a conventional videogame.

Whenever games are set up like SFV, I always feel that the publisher's trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want you to pay £40, but then also the game's structured like a freemium game, and something about that rubs me the wrong way. This isn't to say I'm against games with microtransactions or DLC altogether, but there's nuance.

Comment

The "Legacy" will continue in 2021...

Comment

35th anniversary logo revealed, SF6 said to be revealed in a few months too

Comment

Any mention of those three god forsaken letters in this thread and there will be hell to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
            First trailer here of V to show what i mean
            It's weird how much a single video can colour your perception of something, because I remember this one too - but the main thing I remembered was watching it and just feeling like it was more SFIV, and I never quite shook that.

Maybe I'll try 6.

Comment

I really love V and I'm in no rush whatsoever for VI.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                I really love V and I'm in no rush whatsoever for VI.
                Honestly though I felt that about IV, which was why Capcom moved so quickly to pay off all the tournaments to immediately adopt V and not run a bracket for IV.

Comment

I'm the opposite, SFV for me has felt done since long before Capcom actually managed to patch it into a finished game. SF6 really needs to blow the dust off the franchise this gen

Comment

I see what you mean, but I'd rather they release like they have with SFV in the future. 46 character matchup is too much to learn. I imagine it be a longer nightmarish balancing task to get a mahoosive character rostered game out. I'd rather grow as a player with the game as it grows.

Maybe if you're only interested in dipping in for some games, then a massive roster would be more interesting.

Comment

If they adopt SFV's release model I'm not sure SF will commercially last much longer. SFV has been great for those who like it in terms of long term support but its launch and market presence were disasters. They need to go back to the old approach, not huge but the game needs to feel feature complete, fresh and most importantly abandon its esports fixation. esports is something for the updates to address, mass market should be the initial drive more like SF4 successfully managed

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        If they adopt SFV's release model I'm not sure SF will commercially last much longer. SFV has been great for those who like it in terms of long term support but its launch and market presence were disasters. They need to go back to the old approach, not huge but the game needs to feel feature complete, fresh and most importantly abandon its esports fixation. esports is something for the updates to address, mass market should be the initial drive more like SF4 successfully managed
                        Do you have some kind of keyboard shortcut to copy and paste this? You've been citing this opinion as fact now for five years!

Yes we'd have all liked a few more features in the day 1 package, but it wasn't a long wait for it to bulk out, and it's a game that's grown and improved on a pretty regular schedule since then. I'm not actively playing, but I do try and keep up with the meta through watching tournaments and SF League, and you know what, while not the one that excited me the most, I do think it's a pretty decent Streetfighter at this point. I think the biggest complaint you'll hear among regular players now is the absence of (good) rollback netcode, which surely Capcom has to be considering for 6. I would be stunned if eSports is not a huge part of their strategy.

Comment

16 characters, a story mode, tutorials/trials etc. Online. That'd be fine, right? I agree that much. IIRC, the game didnt have an Arcade mode on release? I mean I just went straight online. But I agree, that needs to be there in this day and age.

I really like the Capcom Cup/League and Evo side of things. I enjoy watching the fights on YouTube. You can learn a lot. Apart from the loading screen ads (which you can turn off in settings), SFV doesnt really show you much else in terms of eSports.

Comment

Guilty Gear Strive is a pretty good model. A roster of really diverse characters at launch (I have had so much fun with Giovanna I haven't touched the others outside of just funning about) and a new really unique character every so often that I will normally come back for. When I got to the stage in my life where I didn't have friends to play with (20 years ago) I'd always buy a fighting game, play it for a couple of nights then abandon it. I bounced off SFV almost immediately due to how bad the matchmaking was at launch and never came back to it when new characters came out as none of them did anything for me. That old Abe Lincoln looking fool can GTFO.

If VI can launch in a good state and keep updating with cool characters then that's a good model and I will play it a whole load.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              Do you have some kind of keyboard shortcut to copy and paste this? You've been citing this opinion as fact now for five years!
                              That's how long they've been milking its teats Nutshell is SF6 just needs not to launch as an Early Access title

It'll def be multiformat though

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                                Guilty Gear Strive is a pretty good model. A roster of really diverse characters at launch (I have had so much fun with Giovanna I haven't touched the others outside of just funning about) and a new really unique character every so often that I will normally come back for. When I got to the stage in my life where I didn't have friends to play with (20 years ago) I'd always buy a fighting game, play it for a couple of nights then abandon it. I bounced off SFV almost immediately due to how bad the matchmaking was at launch and never came back to it when new characters came out as none of them did anything for me. That old Abe Lincoln looking fool can GTFO.

If VI can launch in a good state and keep updating with cool characters then that's a good model and I will play it a whole load.

Dude, G is president of the world and has a rolling golden tattoo of the world on his body, what not to love? I didnt like him at first. He has grew on me though.

Comment

Working...
                                X