Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we even want it or even care? If Halo Infinite was seriesX only, would people be that upset? It's a new console generation with new games, that's what I'd expect.

Comment

"Not able to play your old games on it!?"

That used to be something my mum would complain about equally as much as not being able to get Super Mario World for the NES.
      Last edited by dataDave; 16-08-2020, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
        Do we even want it or even care? If Halo Infinite was seriesX only, would people be that upset? It's a new console generation with new games, that's what I'd expect.
        In hindsight it's a massive undertaking and I personally wouldn't mind them concentrating on XSX but then equally the way they're setting up game pass I can understand them wanting to prolong Xbox One in the short term.

Given we sometimes hear the opposite argument about them killing off the current gen super quick it's funny the opposite is now the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          "Not able to play your old games on it!?"

That used to be something my mum would complain about equally as much as not being able to get Super Mario World for the NES.
          these consoles are PCs now.
          Imagine all of your old games stopped working because you got a new graphics card.
          That’s the logic.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            these consoles are PCs now.
            Imagine all of your old games stopped working because you got a new graphics card.
            That’s the logic.
            I know that. I'm making the parallel between that and not being able to play new games on old hardware.

Xbox seem to be trying to cater to those disgrunteled at not being able to play the latest games on old machines. Other than my mum circa. 1993 I've never heard of that being an issue.

Comment

Every time Ive bought a new console I've bought it because there was a bunch of games I wanted that wasn't available on the previous generation. Is that the very reason to buy a new console?

Comment

Just had a quick look and games like Shadow of Mordor was on 360 and Xbone. I'm sure that was also a pain in the ass. Probably the big difference here is that the new consoles are quite a leap ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  Just had a quick look and games like Shadow of Mordor was on 360 and Xbone. I'm sure that was also a pain in the ass. Probably the big difference here is that the new consoles are quite a leap ahead.
                  Yeah and in that particular case they introduced that funky AI nemesis system but only in the XBO version.

I think you have to accept that in the early days of a new console launch now, because they're PCs you're going to get cross gen titles... If not from the 1st party guys, definitely from 3rd parties like Ubisoft and EA etc...

This goes for both PS5 and XSX. The difference at the moment is Xbox mentioned a policy of making all of the 1st party stuff coming in the next 18-24 months work on both generations of console and offer smart delivery (i.e. buy once own on both). That isn't to say all 3rd party games will be like that... There will be exclusives in time from the 1st party development and there will be exclusives from 3rd parties.

Of course it's the 3rd party guys who generally are developing cross platform anyway so hitting multiple hardware points is more common there.

I'm sure every developer is happy when they finally move on from an old platform you've squeezed every ounce of power from but at the same time look at the user bases. It's where the money is and it's smart business to support in the short term...

Comment

Outside of the first-party/in-house studios I don't think a lot of them squeeze as much out of hardware as you'd expect. For instance there's absolutely no reason why Skyrim shouldn't be running at 60fps on the PS4 and One.

Just watch, these new SSDs are going to let devs get away with so little optimisation.

This is why I'm glad places like DF exist.

Comment

Well yeah come on that's Bethesda... They don't exactly make robust engines that squeeze out performance they let the community sort that **** out for them.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        I know that. I'm making the parallel between that and not being able to play new games on old hardware.

Xbox seem to be trying to cater to those disgrunteled at not being able to play the latest games on old machines. Other than my mum circa. 1993 I've never heard of that being an issue.
                        I'd be interested to know how many people are actually disgruntled about the new generation, or if MS is claiming that to help push Game Pass. I bet there aren't that many in reality, but I could think of reasons why they'd want the next generation delayed a bit: corona-related money troubles; needing a 4K TV to really benefit; not feeling like the next generation is that big a leap but being forced into it regardless(I know this is brought up every generation!).

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                        Xbox mentioned a policy of making all of the 1st party stuff coming in the next 18-24 months work on both generations of console and offer smart delivery (i.e. buy once own on both)...

...I'm sure every developer is happy when they finally move on from an old platform you've squeezed every ounce of power from but at the same time look at the user bases. It's where the money is and it's smart business to support in the short term...
                        Devs complaining about needing to cater to an existing(and relatively huge) user base reminds me of the palaver about PS2 being difficult to develop for but also having a large user base. That was the balance - more effort for higher returns.

However - and bearing in mind I haven't looked into this much - smart delivery sounds like developing two games but selling one.

Comment

Cross Gen development is creating one game across two performance points... Smart delivery is offering a free upgrade from one to the other.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                            Cross Gen development is creating one game across two performance points... Smart delivery is offering a free upgrade from one to the other.
                            Whoops, I wasn't clear. I meant the workload for smart delivery sounds similar to regular cross gen development without the potential income from selling two versions.

I'm sure it's more complicated than that, e.g. the promise of a free upgrade could encourage people to buy now instead of holding out for the snazzy next-gen version, and that's good for initial sales figures.

Comment

Presumably 99% of smart delivery games will be bare minimum effort patches that effectively increase texture details and resolution using the pre-existing PC version data. That way, for anything that's marketable with a fuller next-gen effort it still leaves the door open to all those remasters and remakes as well.

Comment

Smart delivery I would presume they're just creating at both target hardware anyway and offering a free route to upgrade. That's essentially what it is, not every developer has to support it but if they do it means no double dipping.

XSX enhanced means they're targeting 4K60 with specific enhancements or work gone into making it better especially for the new hardware. So that's what to look out for... Otherwise it'll still be better, no doubt, but not optimised in way.

I see it as a bit like the BC prospect on PS5. They're saying they've tested loads and aren't shutting out any games but basically the top tier games are the ones getting the enhancements at launch.

Comment

Working...
                                X