Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think MS are going to have a hard time trying to convince people to buy it. Unless it's stupid cheap.

MS: '12 FT! Most powerful console ever!'
    Also MS: '4TF (2 less then the one X), but it's powerful!'

People will just ignore it. If 4TF, with the guts of the seriesX is powerful, then what is 10TF in a PS5? MS can't have it both ways.

Comment

I see the Series S as the direct replacement to the One X... On paper it's 6TF versus 4TF (if the specs are correct) but then the architecture is different, it'll no doubt leverage the SSD that's in the Series X and other baked in enhancements.

So perhaps they're pretty closely matched and with the One X now gone it leaves the door open for it to be a direct replacement.

Pricing is of course vital. I think the only major hurdle is that the One X is a really capable machine already. I'd argue it's the best built current gen machine and easily the best bit of kit MS has designed. With it already being a decent 4K entry unit (albeit discontinued) I'm not sure how MS can sway people towards the Series S?

Without knowing precisely what we're dealing with here is hard to know. At least it looks like this month is where they talk hardware so we will know soon enough

Comment

Let me make sure I've got this straight.

We had the Xbox One, and then the Xbox One S (white one, smaller) and the Xbox One X (the powerful one, PS4 Pro equivalent). Now we have the Xbox Series X (new guy going toe to toe with PS5), and now there's these rumours about a Xbox Series S (which is more powerful than a Xbox One S but less powerful than a Xbox One X or the Xbox Series X)? Not even being facetious here, this naming convention is an absolute nightmare.

Comment

It's even more confusing than just the names too.
          The oneX has 6TF, but the seriesS has 4TF... But because it has most of the guts of the seriesX it's actually more powerful. But not as powerful as the seriesX or the PlayStation 5. And the new Halo game is available on Xbox oneS, Xbox oneX, Xbox SeriesX, Xbox SeriesS and PC. Now explain to the public (who struggle with the concept of wearing a face mask correctly) which console to buy.

Comment

I was hoping I could get away with not bringing the floppage into the equation I thought the whole point of using teraflops as a measure was that all computational power would be reflected in the number, and therefore bigger = better?

And from what I'm understanding, if I have a launch Xbox One, I can't play the new Halo?

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              I was hoping I could get away with not bringing the floppage into the equation I thought the whole point of using teraflops as a measure was that all computational power would be reflected in the number, and therefore bigger = better?

And from what I'm understanding, if I have a launch Xbox One, I can't play the new Halo?
              Not sure. The wiki page says it's coming to Xbox One. If you and I are confused about what console it's coming to, what about the general public?
              MS have back themselves into another corner with TF. They said in the Gameshow that the seriesX is 'the most consistently powerful console' and they've made a point that 12TF is better than 10TF. So how are they going to explain 4TF>6TF?

Comment

If you forget the One it makes more sense.

One
                One S
                One X

are now old ecosystem products. Ok we know there will be some backward support on titles in the short term but they're being left behind.

Series S - cheap model targeting 1080p/120?
                Series X - expensive model targeting 4K/60/120.

Comment

Pretty sure a launch Bone can play Halo Infinite, as the difference between it and a One S is very small (apart from the chunkier design).

Agreed that it is a really unnecessarily confusing lineup! I think the situation will be helped by the quick discontinuation of the One X back in July, although the One S continues to be produced and sold for now. They really need to trim the line-up down to just Series S and Series X. That will be much clearer for customers.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post

Ask the same public to explain iPhone models from the last 5 years though...

All they need to understand is "Series" is new and "One" is old...

Edit, Paste:

Contents
                    1 iPhone
                    2 iPhone 3G
                    3 iPhone 3GS
                    4 iPhone 4
                    5 iPhone 4S
                    6 iPhone 5
                    7 iPhone 5c
                    8 iPhone 5s
                    9 iPhone 6
                    10 iPhone 6 Plus
                    11 iPhone 6s
                    12 iPhone 6s Plus
                    13 iPhone SE (1st generation)
                    14 iPhone 7
                    15 iPhone 7 Plus
                    16 iPhone 8
                    17 iPhone 8 Plus
                    18 iPhone X
                    19 iPhone XR
                    20 iPhone XS
                    21 iPhone XS Max
                    22 iPhone 11
                    23 iPhone 11 Pro
                    24 iPhone 11 Pro Max

Comment

You can't use the IPhone as a reference because they all use numbers to show that it's the next one in the line up.
                      Xbox hasn't.

Comment

What like sequential numbers that missed 9 entirely and substituted 10 for an X, introducing a second letter to denote size and then introducing a Pro suffix as well?

Yeah ok... I won't use it as it's nowhere in the same ballpark of reference.

Comment

PlayStation
                          PSone
                          PlayStation 2
                          PStwo
                          PlayStation 3 20Gb / 60Gb
                          PlayStation 3 Slim 120Gb / 250Gb / 320Gb
                          PlayStation 3 Super Slim
                          PlayStation 4
                          PlayStation 4 Slim
                          PlayStation 4 Pro
                          PlayStation 5

Vs

Xbox
                          Xbox 360 Core / Pro / Premium / Arcade / Elite / Super Elite
                          Xbox 360S
                          Xbox 360E
                          Xbox One
                          Xbox One S
                          Xbox One X
                          Xbox Series S
                          Xbox Series X
                          Last edited by teddymeow; 10-08-2020, 10:22.

Comment

As a side note I think MS will still keep the tower design aesthetic for the series S... At least I hope they will.

The completely different shape of the console is enough to distinguish it from of predecessors even if there might be consumer confusion on the naming.

I've seen mock ups of the Series S being a small cube like the GameCube which looks great (to me). I think if if it is white and went back to the horizontal shape of the One S it would be a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              It's even more confusing than just the names too.
                              The oneX has 6TF, but the seriesS has 4TF... But because it has most of the guts of the seriesX it's actually more powerful. But not as powerful as the seriesX or the PlayStation 5. And the new Halo game is available on Xbox oneS, Xbox oneX, Xbox SeriesX, Xbox SeriesS and PC. Now explain to the public (who struggle with the concept of wearing a face mask correctly) which console to buy.
                              You mean the same public that has no issues or problems distinguishing various different models of the iPhone or Galaxy , the same public who have no issues distinguishing between the various different models of a VW Golf, the same public that can perfectly distinguish between the various different types of Rysen or Intel CPU's or the various different models in a graphics card range and where you can play the same game on a crappy underperforming laptop to a state of the art Desktop?

Failing that they just Google; It's not even like it's sll In House games anway. Hellblade 2 isn't coming to the Xbox One.

It's takes for th big games to come to the consoles . It's wasn't like Uncharted 4, Spiderman, GOD Of War were day one on the PS4, if anything the One had the better launch line up .

Comment

The problem with the Series S is that what should have been a great way for cost conscious gamers to gain entry to next-gen experiences has already been rendered impotent by MS's other decisions.

If the next-gen Xbox games weren't compatible with the XBO line then Series S would actually make some sense. Now, discontinuing the XBO line and replacing it with the Series S makes another kind of sense but that is undermined when MS has the Series X increasingly becoming something of a laughing stock when its biggest launch titles look visually so weak and are being memed rather than hyped. If you aren't fussed about the visuals then why not stick with the XBO? If you are then why get a Series X that isn't being utilised? It's a whole debate that the Series S doesn't even fit into because at this point it doesn't actually do anything for anyone.

A secondhand XBX remains the best option on the table for the cost conscious Xbox buyer but I imagine most will think 'I will only buy one console' and will instead save their money for one with a different name.

Comment

Working...
                                X