This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuse View Post
    Sure! I've put it in a box and now just need you to seal it away. I need to go pee, tape it up while I'm gone.
    Just setting up some candles and painting a magical pentagon. Can't be too careful with this sealing business.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      The PS list there is way better. But GwG is a bit of a strange red headed stepchild of an offering nowadays, with all the focus on Game Pass. A better comparison might be PS Now vs GP.
      Honestly at this stage I would say to anyone looking at the xbox ecosystem to factor in getting Game Pass Ultimate.

You're getting Live included which I firmly believe they should just phase out now and make free to all to level with PC... but you're getting the free GWG per month, PC and Console Game Pass and Cloud Streaming.

You can easily buy game pass ultimate subscriptions for up to 36 months right now at reduced cost so its even more valuable. They might phase that out over time but right now its easily worth it.

I would also guess MS is throwing in approx 3 months worth of Game Pass when you buy these consoles as well, or 2 years Game Pass Ultimate if you're going All Access subscription payment.

It's getting to the point that owning an Xbox console without game pass is missing out on a lot of content.
      Last edited by nonny; 08-09-2020, 13:55.

Comment

Series S and Game Pass is still a bit of a weak option. Say you're a 1080p gamer who will rely on Game Pass almost entirely for the next year or two you're still better off picking up an XBO because the Series S and Game Pass won't have the software to warrant paying the extra. You'll nab the system or better for the same or cheaper later down the line too.

The power question is easy too:

On paper = Series X
        In practice = PlayStation 5

MS just don't get the same mileage out of their machines and third parties will almost never use Series X as the basis of their development. The more Series S sells as well the less incentive they have to focus on Series X. It's the XBX issue again, the system was capable of more than it ever got near to delivering because it had to live with the millstone issues the other machines brought to the table.

Series S = Xbox One
        PlayStation 5 = PlayStation 4/Pro
        Series X = Xbox One X

Same outcome as well. Hopefully Series S was planned to be announced alongside new software etc as part of a strategy that makes more sense. Paying £250 for a next gen machine with no next gen games till the current gen built and looking Infinite in a years time and just current gen games to play on a subscription service that delivers an almost identical experience on the cheaper current gen machines already on sale and not selling that pitch is going to be interesting to see MS promote to enough people especially when already tasked on selling the most powerful system on that ropey premise to begin with.

Comment

The S is an attractive accessible offer. Only thing stopping me is whether or not my friends will go for it too. Gonna have to wait it out and see where everyone gravitates too. Plus, I'm unsure about the games on offer.

Comment

It's thrown a cat among the pidgins that's for sure. It's an unprecedented move. It's not going to see 120 million sold xboxes, but unless Sony also have a cheep option it'll steal some players. This is why it's good to have competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              The S is an attractive accessible offer. Only thing stopping me is whether or not my friends will go for it too. Gonna have to wait it out and see where everyone gravitates too. Plus, I'm unsure about the games on offer.
              To me, at this stage cross play should be mandatory in 3rd party games... I mean it is more prevalent now but it should just be a standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Series S and Game Pass is still a bit of a weak option. Say you're a 1080p gamer who will rely on Game Pass almost entirely for the next year or two you're still better off picking up an XBO because the Series S and Game Pass won't have the software to warrant paying the extra. You'll nab the system or better for the same or cheaper later down the line too.

On paper = Series X

MS just don't get the same mileage out of their machines and third parties will almost never use Series X as the basis of their development. The more Series S sells as well the less incentive they have to focus on Series X. It's the XBX issue again, the system was capable of more than it ever got near to delivering because it had to live with the millstone issues the other machines brought to the table.

Series S = Xbox One
                Series X = Xbox One X

Same outcome as well. Hopefully Series S was planned to be announced alongside new software etc as part of a strategy that makes more sense. Paying £250 for a next gen machine with no next gen games till the current gen built and looking Infinite in a years time and just current gen games to play on a subscription service that delivers an almost identical experience on the cheaper current gen machines already on sale and not selling that pitch is going to be interesting to see MS promote to enough people especially when already tasked on selling the most powerful system on that ropey premise to begin with.
                I guess that all depends on whether you want to future proof yourself or not. Yes you can stay on One S and for now that is fine, but with Series S you know it will be supported longer past the date when they discontinue support for the current generation plus it has other benefits such as the SSD, game swapping, 3D audio etc...

I think if you currently own an One S it would still be worth upgrading to a Series S given the price point they're pitching at but that's just me...

Honestly if I owned an One S right now I would be trading it in, going all access on the Series S and then have the option to upgrade after 18 months (part of the clause in the all access subscription plan). You're effectively paying approx £20-25pm to get a new console and Game Pass Ultimate for 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                  I guess that all depends on whether you want to future proof yourself or not. Yes you can stay on One S and for now that is fine, but with Series S you know it will be supported longer past the date when they discontinue support for the current generation plus it has other benefits such as the SSD, game swapping, 3D audio etc...

I think if you currently own an One S it would still be worth upgrading to a Series S given the price point they're pitching at but that's just me...

Honestly if I owned an One S right now I would be trading it in, going all access on the Series S and then have the option to upgrade after 18 months (part of the clause in the all access subscription plan). You're effectively paying approx £20-25pm to get a new console and Game Pass Ultimate for 2 years.
                  You're certainly future proofed (and £250 is a low entry price for access to the next 7 years of multiplats), but that doesn't really get away from the fact that there isn't a whole lot of reason to buy one of these right now. Honestly, you might as well just wait. It's not like they're going run out of them, or that they're going to go up in price. If anything the opposite will be true.

This is where the lack of next generation exclusives really bite MS in the rear. If this was a budget PS5, it would be a much more interesting proposition, simply because we already know about several next-gen-only games coming in year 1. There'd be a clear reason to buy one - if you want to play Demon's Souls and Ratchet, you gotta have one. PS4 won't cut it.

Whereas with Xbox it's kinda like well, your games will load a bit faster...and they'll be a smidge higher res. But that's kind of it. You might as well just wait until there's a price drop or something that actually requires the Series machines, not the One machines, to run (which sounds like it could be a good ways off).

Comment

If going by the Access plan I'd def take the upgrade offer after 18 months because the Series S is probably not future proofed in practice thanks to that hard drive. The 512GB isn't all going to be available space and Modern Warfare as a current gen game gobbles up a huge amount of that space, next-gen games are going to get even more demanding in that regard so it could easily end up being in a 360 Core situation. The storage space issues suck on every model but for a digital only model they should be at least matching the disc versions so you're looking at £250 + sub + SDD upgrade unless you buy a whole new model system in the mid-term.
                    Access definitely sidesteps that issue but I'd wager the vast majority of people are looking at Series S unaware Access even exists, MS needs to get on that fast because as the coming weeks unfold the realities won't be hard to market against

Comment

The smaller SSD in the Series S model shouldn't be too much of an issue. Games at present have a lot of data duplicated multiple times to improve the access times on spinning hard drives but that won't be an issue with the SSDs. Also the new systems feature more avanced compression/decompression systems which will save more space. Also it's likely that the Series S version of a game will use a lower resolution texture pack as it doesn't need full fat textures for 4k rendering. And the smart delivery of games will hopefully be utilised properly only installing the language pack you need and offering the option to skip installing the campaign data if all you will do is play the multiplayer.
                      And there's a distinct possibility that the Series S needing to shuffle less data around will have even better loading times than the X.
                      When I saw the £249 price point earlier I thought great that's the wee fella's birthday sorted. But how do I get his largely disc based assortment of One games to work on Series S?

Comment

On paper = Series X

Series S = Xbox One
                        Series X = Xbox One X

Paying £250 for a next gen machine with no next gen games till the current gen built and looking Infinite in a years time and just current gen games to play on a subscription service that delivers an almost identical experience on the cheaper current gen machines already on sale and not selling that pitch is going to be interesting to see MS promote to enough people especially when already tasked on selling the most powerful system on that ropey premise to begin with.
                        I may be misquoting you but it sounds like your under the impression the Series S is a separate platform to the X The series S will launch alongside the series X and will deliver everything the X can but at lower resolutions, the way i see it is its akin to picking up a slightly downgraded graphics card that can play everything a more powerful system can but just at lower resolutions. Its a way into next gen for those who aren't bothered about 4K gaming.
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 08-09-2020, 15:00.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't mean it as them being separate platforms but even with the PC comparison the Series S is going to falter as the system has to keep pace all generation long. That means as the Series X gets pushed and in light of any further models going forward as MS has made it clear they intend to make shared platform revisions etc moving forward rather than generational jumps. So say for example in four years time the Series S will be expected to run the same games as a Series X2. It'll technically run but it'll run like a dog just like trying to run Microsoft Flight Simulator on a GTX750 is doable but no-one would recommend it. MS has compromised for pricing but unlike PS5 it means consumers will be compromising later in the gen too without more outlay to update.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't mean it as them being separate platforms but even with the PC comparison the Series S is going to falter as the system has to keep pace all generation long. That means as the Series X gets pushed and in light of any further models going forward as MS has made it clear they intend to make shared platform revisions etc moving forward rather than generational jumps. So say for example in four years time the Series S will be expected to run the same games as a Series X2. It'll technically run but it'll run like a dog just like trying to run Microsoft Flight Simulator on a GTX750 is doable but no-one would recommend it. MS has compromised for pricing but unlike PS5 it means consumers will be compromising later in the gen too without more outlay to update.
                            I don't think MS will let the experience of using the Series S get that bad. I know they've got this 'no more generations' thing going on, but there has to be a cut-off somewhere. On a console, that really should be dictated by the manufacturer, rather than just letting users find out that their new game runs at 5fps.

I honestly reckon that the Series S will be fine for the rest of this upcoming gen. I mean, my One S still runs games really well. And it was underpowered on launch 7 years ago!

For me, the bigger problem for the Series S is who it's aimed at right now. With no generation-specific software, it's just a very mildly upgraded One S. The only group I can see it really working for at the moment are people who do not have a console, would like to buy one, and don't want to spend too much. But I don't feel like there are too many of those people.

Comment

Series S has a 33% of the GPU power of the Series X for 25% of the workload. With all else being equal it's not going to struggle to run this generation of games.

Comment

Couple of things here. If you have a current X model there's no reason at all to get either of these - yet.

If you are just getting in, £249.99 is an insanely low starting point, I mean the current Switch is more expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X