• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hudson View Post
    Dude, welcome to 3 pages ago. :P

Oops!

Comment

Anyone know where I can find Series S at the minute? I now need a third I've tried the usual places, but to no avail.

Let me know if anyone gets intel.
      Find the best Xbox Series X Console price, get real-time updates on stock, and find the best deals.

Best you setup some notifications here...

Comment

If I was to get a a budget 4K/HDR TV will I still see the benefit coming off 1080p?
        You’ll see the resolution improvement with 4K consoles, but HDR probably won’t do much for you

Comment

I think I'll hold off buying a new TV then.

Comment

The resolution boost is worth it - hard going back to 1080p now

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              The resolution boost is worth it - hard going back to 1080p now
              It’s true. Using a 1080p display for a windows desktop now feels like I’m using some ancient retro machine. Same for games of course. I still think 2k is the sweet spot. For 4K you have to sit too close to a ledge screen to get the benefit.

Comment

I really like 2K on my desktop... Anything higher and I think it's diminishing returns unless you get a huge monitor.

In a lounge setting though 4K is probably the same sweet spot. I can easily tell the difference between 4K and HD on my TV now.

Comment

4K and HDR are increabile, never want to go back to 1080p for films or games.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                    I really like 2K on my desktop... Anything higher and I think it's diminishing returns unless you get a huge monitor.

In a lounge setting though 4K is probably the same sweet spot. I can easily tell the difference between 4K and HD on my TV now.
                    [MENTION=221]nonny[/MENTION] (and anyone else able to comprehend the specifics of this question) Have you tried a 2k movie vs a 4k on a 4k TV? At normal viewing distance I can't tell the difference. YMMV of course!
                    So I guess I'd be happy with a Series S outputting 2k and letting the TV do whatever.
                    Last edited by Brad; 19-10-2020, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Have you tried a 2k movie vs a 4k on a 4k TV? At mormnal viewing distance I can;t tell the difference. YMMV of course!
                      So I guess I'#d be happy with a Series S outputting 2k and letting the TV do whatever.
                      I have and can quite clearly tell the difference. For example, saw big jumps from watching Star War Rouge One or Bladerunner on BluRay, to watching them on UHD BluRay. BladeRunner is amazing in 4K with HDR
                      Last edited by Team Andromeda; 19-10-2020, 11:31.

Comment

I can tell the difference in 1080p and 4K video content but I find the difference for that is far less noticeable than it is for gaming.

Comment

To both of you ^^^ I asked about the difference between 2k and 4k, not 1080p and 4k.

Comment

I'm not sure where you would get a 2K movie, unless you are talking about Ultra HD movies that are coming from a 2K digital intermediate (DI)? There are plenty of those.

I'd say there's a relatively narrow but noticeable difference for me between a UHD sourced from a 2K DI and one sourced from a 4K DI. But either is a sizeable boost over a 1080p movie, because Ultra HD is really three things - the resolution, HDR and the wider colour gamut. So even if the resolution isn't tremendously increased, you're still getting the benefit of the other two areas.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              I'm not sure where you would get a 2K movie, unless you are talking about Ultra HD movies that are coming from a 2K digital intermediate (DI)? There are plenty of those.

I'd say there's a relatively narrow but noticeable difference for me between a UHD sourced from a 2K DI and one sourced from a 4K DI. But either is a sizeable boost over a 1080p movie, because Ultra HD is really three things - the resolution, HDR and the wider colour gamut. So even if the resolution isn't tremendously increased, you're still getting the benefit of the other two areas.
                              The more dodgy places sometimes have 2k versions of stuff. So still HDR, Wide Colour just 2k instead of 4K. I'm specifically saying that I could not see the difference between a 2k download of Blade Runner 2049 and the 4k UHD. I was curious if anyone else had tried this. Unlikely I'll grant you!

Comment

Yep, not done 2K but given the picture of 4K it's hard to imagine there'd be much difference. That smaller gap in difference is what makes 2K so good for gaming as a fallback. Man, though, I wish standard TV would embrace 1080p at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X