Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they've just done that to highlight how controlling the mandatory 30% fee is and have chosen now to do it given that MS got them in the news with the whole xCloud policy block, the anti trust hearing and the fact that well, like it or not Fortnite is big enough to be in the public eye.

I wonder how this will play out? I mean I understand Apple in part as it mantains a one stop shop but when your entire app revenue depends on in app purchases it's pretty cheeky to take 30% of everything for essentially doing **** all

Comment

You say its doing fa Nonny, and epic might see it as that as well, but its Apple that built their hardware empire of phones, every one of those phones has the same app store and the same payment details. At the end of the day, Apple built the whole thing from the ground up with their resources, their engineers etc, no one else, they have the right to do as they please with it to be honest.

The 30% cut is the price you pay as an app developer for not having to start an entire phone empire, just the way it is.

Will the 30% come down any time soon? honestly i doubt it, they don't really need to and as a business it wouldn't make financial sense to them.

edit. Google have now removed fortnight as well due to epic changing everything to vbucks. Well now they have no income from both stores so best of luck with that
      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 14-08-2020, 07:15.

Comment

Are epic doing this deliberately? They must know that there will be consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          Are epic doing this deliberately? They must know that there will be consequences.
          5 fishbucks says some suit is trying to earn his bonus this year and brought it up in a meeting, thinking it will make epic even richer.

Hahahahahaha. Went well.

Comment

Epic are coming across as the idiots here.

Comment

I get it... I'm not saying Apple aren't due revenue here but 30% across the board is a pretty steep cut. Of course when we're talking Epic and Apple both are making Scrooge McDuck levels of cash mountains here regardless but I see Epics decision to do this now as just a way to highlight it in the media.

I don't think Epic want their own store and pricing per se, they're just using it as a way to force Apple and Google to play their hand.

I personally think Apple needs a scalable model here. If an App is returning millions of revenue per year then a slightly reduction in that 70/30 model could be introduced. Apple and Google don't want Fortnite off their services any more than Epic do because it's a cash cow and people are playing alot of games right now...

Really this is a power move and a very public one. Popcorn at the ready...

Comment

The 30% cut Apple and Google both take is outrageous, considering that they have 100% market share between them and have effectively jointly selected this fee cartel-style. It's usurious IMO. It's long past time for Government legislation to step in and cut it back.

Comment

Countdown till they announce the Epic Mobile Operating System to rival iOS and Android starting in...

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    Countdown till they announce the Epic Mobile Operating System to rival iOS and Android starting in...
                    Would they honestly call it "EMOS" though?

It gives me visions of My Chemical Romance, black nail polish and long, greasy hair.

Comment

It could be apt for their reaction when it failed though

Comment

They're stoking up public perception:

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                          They're stoking up public perception:

https://youtu.be/b7Mexf-lT-8
                          Cringe.

Comment

The only parallel it has with 1984 is that at the end I've been left utterly ****ing miserable.

Comment

Apparently, according to Digital Foundry they've spoken to multiple devs who have expressed a frustration at having to cater for XBO and PS4 in the development of games that will arrive during the next-generation citing the CPU holdbacks as a key irritation.

Comment

Unless you're a Sony first party dev, I guess that's the situation you're stuck with for the next couple of years. Based on what happened at the start of the current gen, I don't think third party publishers will be comfortable releasing a next-gen-only AAA till late 2022 at the earliest. I'd love to be proved wrong though!

Microsoft holding back their first party stuff with mandated Bone compatibility is beginning to look like an increasingly bizarre decision though. It's now generating negative press from not one but two angles - firstly that Halo Infinite isn't impressive looking enough, and then secondly from the rumours that they won't be able to keep to their promise that every game for the first two years will come to Bone.

They needn't have made the promise in the first place - I feel like they've massively made a rod for their own backs here.
                                Last edited by wakka; 14-08-2020, 12:22.

Comment

Working...
                                X