This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    1080p is great. If anything you'll never have to worry about performance being throttled by larger resolutions.

The Series S is of course absolutely perfect for next-gen @ 1080p. That price... I want one just because of the price, and the fact that it comes with a controller (which I do need, badly).
    I've only got a nuc PC in the study so I don't game on PC at all right now but was mulling over building a mid range 1440p target PC for gaming.

Since the Series S has come out in more inclined to just grab it instead. It's going to hit 1440p just fine, I'll get a brand new extra controller. It's absolutely tiny and probably won't draw much power and of course it's going to play everything coming to Xbox in the future.

For £249.

I mean I can't build a PC with a 512 nvme to hit that price point and deliver that gaming level if I tried. It's a no brainer for the study.

I think the 512gb drive is about the only potential negative factor because you will have to think laterally about what to install but I've got fibre broadband and external drives... I can happily hot-swap games onto the nvme when I want to play them.

Honestly I'm set on the Series X for the lounge setup but I'm also excited for this little machine. It'll also be a good roadie machine to take away places with an external monitor.

I'm double dipping on Tuesday (fingers crossed).

Comment

The memory bandwidth says it all...

10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/s

vs.

8GB @ 224 GB/s, 2GB @ 56 GB/s

Nothing to worry about.

Comment

1080p is great. If anything you'll never have to worry about performance being throttled by larger resolutions.

The Series S is of course absolutely perfect for next-gen @ 1080p. That price... I want one just because of the price, and the fact that it comes with a controller (which I do need, badly).
        Cool. Same I'd I went for a PS5? I imagine at some point I'd upgrade my TV.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
          Cool. Same I'd I went for a PS5? I imagine at some point I'd upgrade my TV.
          I'd go as far as saying a PS5 is overkill for 1080p, especially after yesterday. Those games look immense on my monitor, and that's over YouTube.

Upgrade your telly first.

Comment

They could probably get away with 6-8GB, depending on how advanced their frontend is. This is without even thinking about the fancy new Gen 4 NVME.
            Yeah, at least the bandwith will be really good. And NVME will also help. I've seen some dev people moaning about 10GB, so I did feel a bit negative about it, but you've reminded me why 10GB will probaly be fine. The Series S seems like a great machine for 1080p gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              A standard definition dvd movie looks more realistic than say Senua’s sacrifice in 4K. 4K is great and all but there are still other areas that can be made to look better other than resolution. 1080p is still good.
              ?? A DVD movie will look more realistic.... because it is real I've yet to see a game with more real life visuals, than the real world LOL

Sticking with films. I do notice a BIG difference mind, from watching my DVD version of Blade Runner to watching the UHD 4K HDR version of the same film in 4K.

Comment

You can now pre-install Gears Tactics from the main Xbox website. Free in game pass obviously...

I've also bought the one full price game I'm preordering this year and that game is Cyberpunk 2077... £44.99 on Xbox via CDKeys btw.

Comment

Xbox One X refurbs on UK Amazon £188

Comment

Amazon.de have them too.

The controllers are even covered in packing film. They must be new.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                      I don't see what that has to do with smart delivery. Smart delivery is paying for the current gen version but getting an upgrade to the next gen version for free.

What is mentioned above that the Series X will use larger file sizes due to it using 4K textures. Series S won't use these so the file sizes are smaller.

This happens on One S and One X now as well.
                      Smart delivery is the mechanism to deliver the version for the game you want or play to the machine you are playing on.
                      So if you play on an S , it downloads/installs the assets for that version.
                      Presumably if you have not opted into smart delivery for your title, then you are packaging your games as you always have

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        ?? A DVD movie will look more realistic.... because it is real I've yet to see a game with more real life visuals, than the real world LOL

Sticking with films. I do notice a BIG difference mind, from watching my DVD version of Blade Runner to watching the UHD 4K HDR version of the same film in 4K.
                        That’s my point. Games still don’t look real. They have higher resolution and more colours and high dynamic range but they still look like games. I’d like them to look more realistic; at the expense of all that other stuff if necessary.

Comment

That’s my point. Games still don’t look real. They have higher resolution and more colours and high dynamic range but they still look like games. I’d like them to look more realistic; at the expense of all that other stuff if necessary.

What's thats got to with resolution?.Games will never 'look' real, untill you can shrink ILM Floors of linked systemes in to a tiny console

Comment

UPDATE: For the authoritative take on Microsoft's new flagship console, Digital Foundry's full Xbox Series X review is …

Turns out the Series S backwards compatibility is pretty much what was expected and enhances titles to 1440p with extras like auto HDR.

Plus it seems both S/X will be capable of running Xbox One games at double the frame rate...
                            Last edited by nonny; 19-09-2020, 17:56.

Comment

I'm glad I didn't go for an X this morning!

Comment

Everyone has different tastes but I don't really want realism. I prefer a more colourful and exciting world for games. Not always but for instance, I'd rather have an updated game in the style of Ridge Racer 7 than a realistic racing title,ideally.

Although some genres benefit from realism of course.

I prefer neon lights and atmosphere. But better hardware should enable both styles, although I think the modern audience would vote realistic graphics. Photo realism has been a goal of many for decades.

Every few years I say I'll quit gaming, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X