Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In some ways, it opens up some opportunities for some other devs and publishers. If you assume that Sony and Nintendo won't have new Fallout, new Elder Scrolls, new Doom or whatever, you now have two platforms out of three on which to make something that can beat those games. Where before it would have been almost unthinkable to outdo a new Elder Scrolls game, MS might well have just taken away your competition.

Comment

Sound move from MS really. I wonder what that means for the Bethesda launcher?

-edit-
      Just thinking, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Elder Scrolls and so on, thats all going to end up on Games Pass now. Or at least, upcoming releases will.
      Last edited by Cepp; 21-09-2020, 13:59.

Comment

The part that really sucks is that I was only saying last week that I should buy Bethesda. Snooze, you lose, I guess.

Comment

I bet Obsidian are thrilled

Comment

Comment

Well out of those games really Doom has seen a return to form and of course Elder Scrolls 6 is sitting somewhere off in the ether.

Fallout 76 is horrific though but with Obsidian also under the corporate umbrella we can forget it exists and concentrate on a proper Fallout seek sequel.

Sh it just got very interesting.

Comment

Just read on Era that Game Pass has leaped up to 15m subscribers. Very impressive, presumably all the discussion about it over the last few months surrounding the new consoles has been great PR for MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  That's pretty big news. Bethesdas quality has gone down the toilet lately so let's hope Xbox can turn then round.
                  They did such a good job with Rare how could it go wrong

Maybe bought them to make some more xbox aviators or relaunch a motion controlled sports games.

Comment

They'll get first dibs on Skyrim special enhanced edition for £70 too

Comment

Maybe they can get Skyrim Fridge edition out of development hell.

Comment

I wonder if now that MS own Bethesda this will somewhat speed up the development of Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield? Bethesda seemed to be really dragging their feet with these, they were way, way off. Now having paid our several billion MS will be wanting to make that back, Gamepass subs only go so far. Coupled with the fact MS have been buying developers over the past few years, especially Obsidian, though they have their hands full with Avowed, they can easily throw numbers at these two games in particular and get things moving. Still going to be a long wait but perhaps not as long.

Comment

Shots fired!!

This is big news. And like everyone else, I'm wondering if they will actually make any or all of these games exclusive. Doing so would seem to be the obvious play and the obvious reason for spending £7.5bn, but I don't really feel like I have enough of a handle on MS's strategy to say if they will or not.

It feels quite exciting though. As crap as the Rare acquisition was, I'd love to see this work out well both for the quality of Bethesda's software output and the strength of MS's first party stable. It would also give me a reason to buy a Series X down the line if it's the only way I can play Starfield

Comment

I'm not convinced Starfield exists beyond some concept art. We've seen nothing of it.
                            Elder scrolls is a big hit to Sony if it goes exclusive.
                            Ultimately though this accusation should have happened a couple of years ago so Xbox have something to show. As it stands most games will be years away, at which point Sony will have taken the lead again. Then Bethesda/MS have to decide if the game they've been developing for years and thrown money at is worth putting out exclusively on a console that's behind in the market.

Comment

The question about future game exclusivity comes down to whether Microsoft believe a new Doom, Wolfenstein, Elder Scrolls or whatever will sell more machines than.

Are any of those IP true system sellers? If not they'd surely be better off continuing the games as multiplatform and reaping the dollar benefits.

Failing that they can get iD to work on the next lot of avatar tat. Ava-tat if you will.

Comment

Dang that's big. Does this mean no Elder Scrolls 6 on PS5?

Comment

Working...
                                X