Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony launched the PS3 a year after the 360 and once that gen was over they were neck and neck with sales. Sony managed to claw it back, so MS could.
    However, even being optimistic, I think it's dead in the water. I can't think of another launch, including the Xbone, that looked to be so flaccid. Many xbox fans are saying they'll continue with the Xbone until next year.
    CD projekt red will look at this and, even with a truck full of cash from MS, will probably want to distance themselves a little. Marketing and special box sets maybe, but exclusive content? I don't think I'd waste development time for a console that looks to be limping out of the gate.

Comment

A truck lid of cash isn’t going to summon the next gen version for launch, they’ve put those back to next year, presumably as they are struggling to deal with the 4 + PC versions of the game they have to do now.
      I have no doubt in my mind the PS4 and Xbox versions are going to be a dogs dinner, we have reached that point int the gen where those cannot keep up. Control on PS4 last year and Avengers coming up.

Comment

I think that's the trouble, the PS3 had that disadvantage amongst other issues but like the PS2 discussion in the video Sony were tackling a problem from a very different position and even then it cost them 20-40m sales that generation. The pressure is on for The Medium now like they never imagined. It falters and Series X might be the first new generation console launched pretty much without a line up at all alongside it.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
          I have no doubt in my mind the PS4 and Xbox versions are going to be a dogs dinner, we have reached that point int the gen where those cannot keep up
          Last of us 2 would like a word with that theory.

Comment

I don't think Cyberpunk is going game pass any time soon. If anything MS might make it a free game as part of a bundle with the console... At least then it's an incentive to buy the XSX instead of being in the subscriber program for PC and Xbox One as well.

All this talk of numbers and consoles sold. I don't think MS is going to be anywhere near able to take Sony's throne on that basis. It just isn't going to happen, but I also know that isn't really what MS is aiming for with the XSX right now... I've said it before, there is no console war regardless of how the media paints it.

MS is in the process of building cross platform ecosystems and services. It's not worrying about pure hardware numbers on console. I'm not saying it doesn't matter, I'm just saying if it was a war it's one they cannot win.

The software this year is stumbling for sure. But I would take a step back and look at what else is being built and where they are in those larger plans.

Game Pass is expanding all the time and at current pricing is the best deal for consumers in the industry.

xCloud is launching in a few weeks and from the 6 months I've been playing it this will give Stadia cause for concern.

PC gamers are no longer and after thought for MS and they had the 3 games in the top 4 on Steam recently.

Plus at least on the hardware side the XSX (and XSS) look like they're ready to go.

Then of course you have the reality that when these consoles launch its not like you have nothing to play. It isn't new but they will support 4 generations of titles out of the box day one and a lot of the big games will have enhancements... Plus auto HDR added etc... It will play all current titles in the best possible way on your TV. Coupled with the guarantee they'll throw a free game pass sub to anyone buying the console there would be plenty of free stuff on hand for new buyers.

New consoles are attractive to early adopters and apart from the odd unicorn title most launch games are forgettable enough. In the current market price will be important but I think added incentives can help the situation where really the only problem to remedy here is a delay on new software.

I think from a software stand point Sony is in a better position given the got Spidey ready to go (it would seem so anyway, not heard of anything different) and I am fairly certain day one on both these platforms everyone will probably be voting the same way they did this generation... But then, I think outside of the launch window is where things will get interesting.

As a side note, I saw the Xbox got it's new store update a few days back and it's really fast, new layout design and looks slick. Stuff is going in behind the scenes here and apart from Halo I think other pieces are falling into place.

What a year though! 2020 is showing no signs of letting up.

Comment

As an independent company that needs to make an actual profit on its games to survive, Cyberpunk ISN’T going into gamepass for a very long time, if ever, so you call all just forget about that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                Thing is TLOU2 was developed for PS4 and ONLY PS4. Naughty Dog didn't have to worry about getting it running on anything else.

Comment

Free game pass with every console?

Comment

For five years?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                      For five years?
                      You think it will last that long?

Whiff of Dreamcast going on.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                        Free game pass with every console?
                        Lol... My guess is 1-3 months? Much like they usually put in free trial codes now for Xbox Live.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          That isn't a game leading development on a PC, looking to run on the base consoles. It's not quite the same

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                            Lol... My guess is 1-3 months? Much like they usually put in free trial codes now for Xbox Live.
                            Yeah, you get a 1 month trial with the current boxes

Comment

That's the point though, isn't it?

They could have perfected Halo Infinite for the standard Xbox One while offering performance and resolution upgrades for the OneX/SeriesX, until at least two years down the line before going fully-fledged next-gen.

It was easily possible. They had the time. They had the money.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post

All this talk of numbers and consoles sold. I don't think MS is going to be anywhere near able to take Sony's throne on that basis. It just isn't going to happen, but I also know that isn't really what MS is aiming for with the XSX right now... I've said it before, there is no console war regardless of how the media paints it.
                                MS needs to get back to doing better and being far closer in the USA and also where developers look to lead on its consoles. I think both the PS5 and Series X will be a smash on launch and instantly sell out (if only for people to mark them up on eBay) . It's what comes down a few months down the line that will determine if the system is really going to take off or do well.

I wasn't at impressed that much with the graphics or games on the 360, other than PGR3, even online wasn't that great: Call Of Duty 2 multiplay was an embarrassment with no rankings and just 8 odd plays.

That all changed the month Fight Night 3 and Ghost Recon shipped . My jaw hit the floor playing Ghost Recon and its multiplayer mode was incredible as it was with Rainbow Six Vegas. That's really when I knew the console was going to be pretty fab

Comment

Working...
                                X