This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Looking good and none of those games have even been patched yet. Hoping for a 60 FPS 4K Horizon mode. I wonder how well games like Assassin's Creed Unity and Anthem run on the Series X . Nice to read too that the system seems really quiet when running.

If only MS actually had some next-gen games to show it off
    Well FH4 runs at 60fps pretty well already with dynamic resolution so I think it's safe to say that will hit 4K easy, maybe even at 120fps?

As a first look it just sounds spot on this far but yes the embargo is there as it seems MS are trickle feeding stuff over the coming weeks to the review crowd.

Comment

The speed increases and massively shortened load times are bloody impressive.

Comment

The only negative from all these reviews is the free space on the SSD. The system files and OS take up 111.6gb on Series X according to IGN so you've got about 802gb to play with.

That's ok but that means you'll have 400gb on the Series S (unless there's a smaller footprint on it for the system files?)...

Comment

It seems counter intuitive that the console without the disc drive has less hard drive space, doesn't it?

Comment

Kind of, except that the storage on these consoles is probably by far the most expensive single component.

~400GB of usable space is definitely going to be tight. Especially if you like Call of Duty think my install of that on my One S is up to about 200GB.

It'll definitely be a case of needing to regularly delete stuff, although that'll be the case even on the ~825GB models.

I guess it's the price we pay for all of these speed improvements. For the amount these NVME drives cost, we probably could have had 4TB mechanical drives, but we wouldn't get all this slick new stuff.
            Last edited by wakka; 29-09-2020, 10:53.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
              It seems counter intuitive that the console without the disc drive has less hard drive space, doesn't it?
              But it's to hit that magical £249 price point right...

Agree though storage is definitely tight on the Series S.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                Kind of, except that the storage on these consoles is probably by far the most expensive single component.

~400GB of usable space is definitely going to be tight. Especially if you like Call of Duty think my install of that on my One S is up to about 200GB.

It'll definitely be a case of needing to regularly delete stuff, although that'll be the case even on the ~825GB models.

I guess it's the price we pay for all of these speed improvements. For the amount these NVME drives cost, we probably could have had 4TB mechanical drives, but we wouldn't get all this slick new stuff.
                Yeah they are utilising that speed for new features and enhancements so I can get behind that. Plus on a long timeline the storage costs will come down to the realms of affordability.

In the meantime have those external drives ready for BC games so they're not clogging up the precious space you have on the SSD.

Comment

Can't remember who it was saying their kids were into racing Sims but Forza Motorsport 7 is heading to game pass next month along with Doom Eternal.

Both going straight up for cloud streaming as well.

Comment

What can BC games be played from mechanical drives?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                      What can BC games be played from mechanical drives?
                      Yeah, you can play BC Bone/360/OGbox stuff from a standard USB mechanical HDD. But Series X games will only work from the internal storage and the special proprietary memory cards.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                        https://www.windowscentral.com/doom-...gaming-october

Can't remember who it was saying their kids were into racing Sims but Forza Motorsport 7 is heading to game pass next month along with Doom Eternal.

Both going straight up for cloud streaming as well.
                        I didn’t bother going all access for the wee man’s Series S he’s got all the big driving games already.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                          You can also install the game pass app on a raspberry pi or similar Android device which works fine.
                          I had a try running the app from Android x86 from a bootable USB stick at lunch, but couldn't get it to run out the box. If I have more time I might see if I can find a workaround (or have a Google and see if someone else has found a workaround). If it can be made to run on that without too much hassle, it'd be an easy way of streaming XCloud on an existing PC.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            Yeah, you can play BC Bone/360/OGbox stuff from a standard USB mechanical HDD. But Series X games will only work from the internal storage and the special proprietary memory cards.
                            That's cool. Thanks. I have the xbone forza horizon games to catch up with first and last gen Halo and Gears so that won't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              I had a try running the app from Android x86 from a bootable USB stick at lunch, but couldn't get it to run out the box. If I have more time I might see if I can find a workaround (or have a Google and see if someone else has found a workaround). If it can be made to run on that without too much hassle, it'd be an easy way of streaming XCloud on an existing PC.

Comment

I've seen that video before, doesn't really help with Android x86.

Comment

Working...
                                X