This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    There certainly will be disk based systems even on ps6/xbones42. WE may live in a first world country (even with a 50mb fibre line download files are atrociously big and slow) but most the wold doesn’t.

Can’t sell consoles to remote places in brazil if they can’t download any games due to not haven’t the net, repeat for any other countries with poor infrastructure.
    As of 2018 Brazil had an average internet speed of 26.64 megabits per second (Mbps):

A study shows Brazil is still playing catch-up with its internet speeds, but that investment from service providers has improved conditions nationwide.

That's about 4.5 hours to download a 50GB game. If you live in a remote area, that's likely faster than traveling to and from a store, or waiting for the game to get to you via post. If you can afford an expensive games console in a country like that, I'm going to hazard a guess that you are almost certain to have an average internet connection. I also think there's an important environmental element to this argument too - the production of all these DVD/Bluray/game disks and boxes are chewing through valuable finite resources, and it's for no good reason when those products can be easily distributed digitally with significantly reduced impact. Big businesses are already under huge pressure to reduce their carbon footprint, and this will only become more pertinent as time goes on.

Comment

I only have a 14mbit connection. Fastest I can get currently. Xbox downloads used to use about half that, PlayStation even less and Microsoft store I don’t even know but forza horizon took 2 weeks to download. Steam will max out the connection but that means no one in the house can use the internet so I have to throttle the connection. So, downloading big games and patches can actually completely stop my gaming plans. I plan what I want to play very carefully, out of necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by bcass View Post
        As of 2018 Brazil had an average internet speed of 26.64 megabits per second (Mbps):

A study shows Brazil is still playing catch-up with its internet speeds, but that investment from service providers has improved conditions nationwide.

That's about 4.5 hours to download a 50GB game. If you live in a remote area, that's likely faster than traveling to and from a store, or waiting for the game to get to you via post. If you can afford an expensive games console in a country like that, I'm going to hazard a guess that you are almost certain to have an average internet connection. I also think there's an important environmental element to this argument too - the production of all these DVD/Bluray/game disks and boxes are chewing through valuable finite resources, and it's for no good reason when those products can be easily distributed digitally with significantly reduced impact. Big businesses are already under huge pressure to reduce their carbon footprint, and this will only become more pertinent as time goes on.
        Ok. Well id suggest trying to download even a day 1 patch on a brazilian broadband line and see how that goes, let alone a new cod with 120gig of file to download. Might be finished by the time we colonise mars, might. 🙂

Comment

Isn't Brazil still on Mega Drive?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            Isn't Brazil still on Mega Drive?
            TecToy, you mean!

I think disc-based systems will stick around into the next gen, but their days are numbered. I don't think PS7 will have a disc drive option.

Comment

Whilst i think its almost inevitable that physical discs will eventually disapear, i still believe we are a very long way off from that reality. Im pretty certain the PS6 etc will still have a disc drive but beyond that, well its so far off who knows what tech will be like then. Until a vast majority of the world has super fast and reliable broadband plus no data caps physycal media isnt going anywhere for quite a while yet.

Comment

I feel like there's going to be an inherent roof in stopping discless consoles anytime soon. Sony won't want to see retailers restrict selling it because they don't make enough from hardware only, many gamers won't want to lose trading as an option, as discussed many countries are well behind us on online only and Sony is dependent on many of these territories and there has been no clear message to them still that gamers want to embrace a digital only model with every attempt at it so far by rivals dying a very quick and sudden death. MS is more likely to try it again given game pass etc and till they evidence it's worth it Sony won't follow which definitely locks in PS6 if not beyond.

Comment

Retailers would just end up selling codes. Supermarkets already have a fairly big section dedicated to them. As for Game, it would probably finally die.

Comment

PS5 rumour of the day:

Metal Gear Solid is being remade exclusively for PS5.

Comment

Now that Demon's Souls is up for Pre-order with Amazon my shopping list is finished. They'll be getting a lot of my money in November:

Disk Edition Console
                      3d Headset
                      Controller Charging Stand
                      Demon's Souls
                      Spider Man: The Full Package

Didn't end up playing SpiderMan on PS4 so seems like a good time to jump in. I've stashed away some discount PSN from ShopTo in case there is anything I fancy and the prices aren't held at the discount levels. Roll on launch day

Comment

Cancelled my pre-orders with TheGameCollection after the payment fiasco.

Everything from Smyth's now:

Disc machine
                        Digital machine
                        Spider-Man Ultimate
                        Demon's Souls
                        Sackboy Adventure

Depending on reception I might get Destruction All-Stars and CoD too.

Comment

I really want to hear this 3D audio in action. Those headphones look nice.

Comment

Will the 3d headphones fit over the top of the PSVR? Combine the two?
                            Currently my reference headphones don't fit.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on Amazon's Demon Souls preorders. Grabbed one.

My launch loadout:

Disc console
                              Demon's Souls
                              12 months PS+ sub

Once Demon's Souls has been cleared, my next main game will be Cyberpunk. However I might have a snack in between these two rather chunky games, in the shape of either Miles Morales or Call of Duty.

I played the Cold War multiplayer alpha this weekend just gone and thought it felt poor compared to MW 2019's MP, so I'd probably just ignore that portion, run through the campaign and then trade it straight in against Cyberpunk.

EDIT: Also, if MGS does get remade for PS5, that will be megaton. Probably my favourite game ever and I'd like to see what a version with modern technology would be like. They need Hayter though. Hayter is a must!!!
                              Last edited by wakka; 23-09-2020, 11:54.

Comment

Woah, that sounds like you've got a few months of great gaming lined up!

Comment

Working...
                                X