No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective on Retro|Spective 150: Super Mario 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Mario 64 - I played the whole game back when it came out and I've never really gone back since. It was a dream launch game though ... Mario's face on the title screen was a marvel in itself, then taking control of him for the first time and making him just run in a circle was a revelation. I don't expect time has been kind to it though, such is the refinement of the 3D Mario games over the years (Odyssey is easily the best game on Switch IMO) and if I was going to revisit the N64 launch I'd choose Pilotwings first.

Sunshine - I love loads about this but I've never finished it. Not through its difficulty or anything, I just find it lacks focus and direction (or maybe I do) and I find myself wondering where I need to go and over exploring and getting nowhere.

Comment

I could see why a lot of people liked SM64, but I found the levels a bit empty for my taste. I prefer the non-stop action and danger of 2D Mario.

Comment

Super Mario Galaxy
        The next system came out and was awash with cheap tat titles which muddied the waters of the decent stuff that came out. Even then Nintendo often skewed towards its new audience making more casual friendly affair but amongst this wave of waggling gaming came a shining jewel of franchise redemption.

With graphics that sat beyond pretty much anything else on the system, a set up that allowed for diverse levels and objectives within context of the games set up, a sweeping orchestral score and epic scale of action the new Mario game was Nintendo's third attempt at the formula and praised out the gate for being the culmination of all their work.

For me, Galaxy unquestionably stands as the greatest of all the 3D Mario games and when we get to Galaxy 2 I'll explain why that entry doesn't take the title from it. It's everything I'd ever want from a Mario game and have had no trouble getting a Galaxy 3 on WiiU and Galaxy 4 on Switch, so right was what Nintendo delivered with this entry.

Just as you thought you were out, did Galaxy pull you back in?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          With graphics that sat beyond pretty much anything else on the system,
          Yeah, it really showed off the hardware. I'd say Galaxy 1 & 2 are the best looking games for the Wii.

There's so much visual magic and design brilliance in both Galaxy games that really makes them something extra special. They'll always be a treasured part of my games collection.

Comment

Galaxy is my favourite 3D Mario by far. I think it plays so much better than Sunshine and the levels are varied and fun and, importantly, they all work with the controls an camera. Mario is delightful to control in this game and I don't even have to think about the mechanics - I can just play and try to beat the levels. The look and sound of the game is the polish that makes it truly special. It's beautiful. It has a magical feel throughout and it's just a joy to play.

Galaxy is a very special game.

Comment

Galaxy is sublime. I really need to play it proper, I just always start it, marvel at it, lie down for a bit after taking in the wonderment. Then I get scared of how amazing it is and how much quality time I need to put aside then I get stressed and put YouTube on and watch folk slagging off Loot Crates for an hour, instead.

2021 shall be the year. The year I play all my Wii stunnas. This, Sin & Punishment 2, Muramasa, Metroid Prime 3, etcetera etcetera, so many good uns.

First one that stunned me was 64. Played it in Dixons in late 96/early 97ish and I couldn't believe how convincingly solid and 'there' the 3D world felt (unlike the often papery, warping walls of PS1 3D). That and the CONTROL...I'd never played a game with such subtle, accurate controls...absolutely knocked me for six.

Got one about six months later and Super Mario 64 turned out to be even better than it was in the shop. And it was DEEP. The world was convincing, it played and sounded like a dream, I just fell in love with it.

I loved the N64 stick, I looked after mine and mastered tiny, subtle movements to avoid damaging it. I'd just practice movements with Mario in this and in Goldeneye and I think along with the GC, it had the most accurate sticks of that era, god knows what Sony did with the fudgy, inaccurate Dual Shock 2 sticks!

As for Sunshine, I've had it since release on GC and it is an AMAZING game...but sooooo bloody tough. It scares me to death, it's nowhere near as friendly as Mario 64!

Comment

Super Mario Galaxy 2
                For the first time in an age Nintendo followed up a Mario game with a direct sequel on the same system and this second effort streamlined out the hub, the storyline and some of the sense of scale to be able to present a more deeper dive into the mechanics of the game.

The result is an acclaimed game ignored only by Nintendo on Switch it seems. It's also always split fans over whether it or the original was the better game. There's not too much else to add on this one as it's very much an expansion of the same, but to a high degree that has left fans begging for a third.

Is Galaxy 2 better than the first?

Comment

Tough one. For me, yes, in some ways it is. I think Nintendo took the core ideas that were so brilliant in Galaxy and took them further.

But at the same time, I don't hold it in quite such high esteem. It really is a mission pack for the first game at heart, an expansion, albeit the biggest and best one possible. If someone was to play a Galaxy game for the first time, there's no way I'd point them in the direction of this one first.

I love it though. Awesome game.

Comment

I've not played Galaxy in ten years, and I've never played Galaxy 2 before. Just lying here on the sofa wondering which one I should play tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      Galaxy is sublime.

But is it more "sublime" than the "pleasure worth sharing" of Galaxy Minstrels?

Comment

I never got Galaxy 2. I always wanted to get Galaxy 2. I just never got around to it. So I’m particularly disappointed that it’s not in the All Stars collection.

Comment

But is it more "sublime" than the "pleasure worth sharing" of Galaxy Minstrels?
                          It depends if a woman's fanny is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                            It depends if a woman's fanny is involved.
                            Some women are easy to please.

Comment

I think when Sunshine is good it's very good. In particular I like the way the different jumps and FLUDD actions allow you to climb up the levels. I know there's a rumour that it was rushed out to fill a gap in the release schedule and to boost disappointing Gamecube sales and it certainly feels like that could be the case. With a couple more areas, less coin collecting, and fixes to a few poor bits (that pachinko shine must be one of the worst things in Mario history) it would've been up there with the best in my opinion.

I thought Mario Galaxy seemed quite linear in comparisson. Whilst it was beautifully designed, I missed that element of exploration a bit. I also hate the Wii controller with passion. I never felt comfortable using it. I'm hoping the Switch remake supports standard controls and as I imagine it'll be great to play through without any stupid arm waving (I really hated the Wii ).

Going back to the Mario 64 camera, while I know it can be dodgy, these days I find it's less restrictive than I did at the time. It was my first experience of a game in 3D where the camera didn't lock right behind the player and I found it so disorientating at first. When the camera angle changed I just lost track of where everything was. It's funny how I got completely used to that over time!

Comment

It's easy to forget just how lush the water was in Galaxy, especially after playing Odyssey.

Comment

Working...
                                X