Retro Rumble: Round 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    GUERILLA WAR, which I always saw as a TRUE successor to Ikari.
    It's a more chunky, over the top version of Ikari Warriors, with a Che Guevara vibe to the setting.

I never played the Amstrad version but when I saw it in C&VG, January 1987, I dropped a bollock. Looked arcade perfect!!!

It came in a nice clamshell case that Elite were using at the time. A great port that shows off the Amstrad's colour palette.

Edit: I remember that games from Durell also came in these cool clamshell cases.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-09-2020, 17:52.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, it was Heavy Barrel but it appears slow to me for some reason. Or is it later in the game.

I'm not sure I ever played Out Zone. The arcade spots near us cycled games and some only stayed for a week. So certain genres I get the titles mixed up. Well known titles I never forget, though.

I love the art and flyers from that era.

Edit Leon, Zoids came in a case like that.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
        Well known titles I never forget, though.
        Yeah, away from all the big name arcade games most people know about, there are also plenty of lesser known titles that have never received much recognition. Guerrilla War is a good example. There are plenty of gems to discover on MAME.

I love the art and flyers from that era.
        It perfectly represented the fun vibe gaming had back then, before the industry became more serious. Some of the art is 'so bad it's good' though.

Edit Leon, Zoids came in a case like that.
        I think they're so much better than the typical transparent plastic cases. I had a few Amiga games in clamshell cases, but that was very unusual.

Comment

S.A.R. is brill, I luuuuurve the evocative, moody music, I've been listening to it loads on YouTube it's so good. Very cool, very moody.

You got that SNK collection, QC? All those games are on there...as well as the proper bad boy GUERILLA WAR, which I always saw as a TRUE successor to Ikari.

Even has many of the NES versions on, too. Sadly it only seems to go half price about once every six months, grab it while ya can, it's a grrreat compilation, I got it half price a coupla months back.
          I wasn't really aware of that collection, cheers. It's a bit bloody steep for a collection of games 30 to 40 years old!
          I'll keep an eye out if it drops though, cheers.

Glad there's another S.A.R. fan!

Comment

Gauntlet for me, is the epitome of the kind of looming, magical presence that arcade games should have. The cab-art, the primary coloured sectioning of the four player controls, the loud, synthetic-sounding speech and foreboding music.

If I were to imagine a game that could suck you into it, a la Jumanji or the D&D cartoon spin-off, it would be Gauntlet, reaching out to you, like a beacon of danger and excitement in the corner of a smoky, sticky-carpeted and dark 80s arcade.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
              Gauntlet for me, is the epitome of the kind of looming, magical presence that arcade games should have. The cab-art, the primary coloured sectioning of the four player controls, the loud, synthetic-sounding speech and foreboding music.

A great summary of why Gauntlet is a classic example of how special early coin-ops could be. The designers did a brilliant job in all areas to deliver the elusive magic that only the best games possess.

Comment

Working...
              X