Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Armchair Critic View Post
    Ha, it’s amazing how quickly the muscle memory kicks in. Maybe Lebowski is right in that what did I expect? I knew what I was getting. I just wished I’d waited that’s all. Anyway, I’ll stop moaning now and leave the thread alone
    Compared to what Nintendo just got away with for £50 (that is daylight robbery imo) I'd say THPS Remastered is worth £40....

Comment

I could easily see how if you were decent at it to begin with, you could clear all the primary objectives in an afternoon. I think I had a much more satisfying time with it because I came into it so cold. It really took me a decent bit of time to build my skills back up, but once I did it was massively satisfying.

To be honest I think it's a brilliant package and really good value for the £30 I paid.

Comment

I really enjoyed this. It feels and looks modern, but still has everything that made the originals so much fun. I really liked seeing their updated versions of the stages a know so well! It plays a lot more like THPS3 than 1 or 2, but I think that was probably the peak of the series for me anyway, so nothing wrong with that!

It took me around 5 hours to get 100% goals and stats for one character. I played these game a LOT back in the day, but I couldn't remember how to do absolutely everything and the THPS stages have extra goals that weren't in the original.

Since then I've been trying to work my way up the speedrun leaderboards and have been trying some of the challenges. I would quite like to be able to just play through everything again with a different character, which doesn't seem to be possible.

I also quite like how it largely features the line-up from the first game, but now they're all old, like me!

I'm just hoping for THPS3 DLC.
        Last edited by ZipZap; 23-10-2020, 10:15.

Comment

The thing this game made me really lust for is more of this type of thing. I loved Tony Hawk's, the early SSX games, Dave Mirra BMX, and so on.

We got absolutely inundated with them for a bit in the early noughts, and quality was variable (BMXXX or Wakeboarding Unleashed Featuring Shaun Murray, anyone?), but now we really get nothing in that regard other than smaller scale indie efforts like Olli. Good as some of those are - I love Olli - it's not quite the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            The thing this game made me really lust for is more of this type of thing. I loved Tony Hawk's, the early SSX games, Dave Mirra BMX, and so on.

We got absolutely inundated with them for a bit in the early noughts, and quality was variable (BMXXX or Wakeboarding Unleashed Featuring Shaun Murray, anyone?), but now we really get nothing in that regard other than smaller scale indie efforts like Olli. Good as some of those are - I love Olli - it's not quite the same thing.
            I'd certainly enjoy a new THPS that stuck to the 1-3 formula.

I think it worked best when there were a series of goals and you had to do as much as possible within the 2 minutes.

Storylines, challenges from NPCs and *anything* that involves getting off the board (I still remember the awful tennis subgame in THPS4) just detracted from the game.

My only change would perhaps be to replace some of the generic "collect 5 ________" goals with something that encourages you to really explore the more difficult to reach spots of the levels.

Comment

Agreed. The problem with the later games is they lost sight of what made it fun. If you have to get off the skateboard, you've failed in your design of it.

I do think there are areas they could expand on however. Some of the challenges do feel very PS1 era, like the 'Collect 5 widgets' ones that you mention. And the levels are simple - as fun as levels like Minneapolis are, they were designed with the limitations of the PS1 in mind. I'd love to see a version that uses current technology to amp up the complexity, while leaning into the basic accessible silliness of the games. How about a Times Square that's packed with cars you can leap between, grinding and tricking, before scaling a network of fire escapes and pipes leading upwards that you can use to rise higher and higher among the skyscrapers, until you're practically among the clouds? There's so much potential.

Comment

Fair play to you lot who have breezed through this again ... I've lost any edge I ever had i think. Need to practice practice practice.

Comment

Working...
                X