Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

I loved the original game but lost touch with the series as it went on. This remaster was kind of on my radar when it was announced and then it suddenly arrived yesterday, just like the original did on a Friday when I was off work 20 years ago ... I just got an urge.

Biggest worry would be that it's dated and clunky but it totally isn't. It's tight and technical and still intuitive after all this time. If anything it shows how brilliant the original game was, even though this new version sees it taking on refinements that only came over time. So it's still a great game to play. The goal-getting is as addictive as it always was, plus there are new goals within the game that you get to cash in separately, so it keeps on rewarding you which I really like.

Technically the 60fps makes a massive difference. It's a game that really benefits from the silky smoothness. It's looks great ... not mind-blowing, but great enough, like what you want it to be ... and the soundtrack is pretty big and diverse too (though all it really needed was Police Truck by The Dead Kennedys to satisfy me).

I know 'Skate' raised the bar in terms of authenticity but this was always the most fun skate game and one that captured more of the spirit of skating imo. Not tried online yet ... pretty happy to stick to the single-player.

Recommend any fans of the original take a look. It's really good.

Are reverts in?

Comment

I only ever played the first two games as well, first on PSX and then on DC. I ****ing loved them and played them both to death.

Looks like the PC version is exclusive to the EGS right now so I'll pick it up there.

-edit-
      Oh hey, I got £10 off the EGS version. A £10 discount was applied at checkout for some reason.
      Last edited by Cepp; 05-09-2020, 10:57.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        Are reverts in?
        Yep, reverts and manuals are present

Comment

So glad it's getting good write-ups here!!!

I just couldn't play the old 'remaster' of THPS1. I have tried and tried and tried, across three consoles. It's just not right. It feels like an imposter.

When I get paid next I'm getting this!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
            So glad it's getting good write-ups here!!!
            I just couldn't play the old 'remaster' of THPS1. I have tried and tried and tried, across three consoles. It's just not right. It feels like an imposter.

When I get paid next I'm getting this!!!!
            They did everything right with this, I have no complaints.

I've been enjoying replaying THPS1. The second game superceded the first so well that it takes up most of the nostalgia I have for the series. Its been fun to go rediscover the first game.

Comment

Can't bloody wait, I still maintain THPS has one of THE best control methods, ever, I just feel good when I think of how good it plays, especially at 60fps!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Yep, reverts and manuals are present
                but you can turn them off if you want a more authentic Tony Hawks experience their are options for THPS1 (no linking tricks) and THPS2 controls (just manuals)

its an amazing game and feels really fun to play I'm not sure how long it will last though, as i was burning through the challenges and had done the first four levels fully in an hour and a bit, if you swap charters the challenges are all done too so it has different progression to the first game. Muscle memory kicked in straight away and i was linking tricks together with manuals without even thinking

soundtrack is awesome as ever It brought back some strong memory's from the PS1 we spent so long playing it in my friends bedroom the songs were ingrained in our heads, we always used to think the singer from Suicidal Tendency's was shouting "DIE DIE PSYCHO BITCHES" at the 24 second mark

hes infact singing

"I'VE GOT PYCHO VISION"

Last edited by Lebowski; 08-09-2020, 14:05.

Comment

Watched the Digital Foundry vid last night. Even they're getting super-gooey about it. Don't think they could've done a better job, by the looks of it!

Comment

Just been watching Caddicarus' vid about how they added microtransactions to the Crash Team Racing re-release AFTER release.

Anyone heard any fishy business about microtransactions or owt for this? Anyhow, they can do what they want as long as the core game is the same, that's all I'm really worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      Just been watching Caddicarus' vid about how they added microtransactions to the Crash Team Racing re-release AFTER release.

Anyone heard any fishy business about microtransactions or owt for this? Anyhow, they can do what they want as long as the core game is the same, that's all I'm really worried about.
                      Not as yet but I wouldn't be surprised. As long as they don't start locking content that's already there behind a paywall I'm not to fussed about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                        Not as yet but I wouldn't be surprised. As long as they don't start locking content that's already there behind a paywall I'm not to fussed about it.
                        Playing it I'm not sure how they could add micro transactions to it, the cosmetic system works the same way as it did in the first game, you get cash by playing and you can spend that on clothes and boards.

The only thing left for them is level packs or licensed skins £7.99 for spiderman and £1.50 for Sherk id quite happily buy a Tony hawk 3 expansion for this but THUG and 4 nar im good thanks

Comment

Great game but can someone explain progression to me?

My memory of the originals is that each skater has a separate save file, if you will.

I have upgraded Tony Hawk quite a bit and wish to change skater.

According to the game I have to leave off where I was with TH? So I don't need to do the things I did already? What about the upgrade points?

Comment

You can go into levels and reacquire all the upgrade points per skater but once you have done the level challenges on one skater you don't have to redo them, each skater has a series of extra challenges listed in the menu that you can use to gain cash and upgrades.

Comment

You never truly know a game until you've ...

Comment

Working...
                              X