No announcement yet.

Pandora's Box & Mini Arcade Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knwo this seems backward but given the A12 has USB controller support and HDMI Out, could you plug it to the TV and plug in a proper arcade stick or would there be likely lag/performance issues doing that compared to other options?

I know it's not a cheap approach but if starting from the point of already having an A12 if it works it'd be cheaper than buying a whole new unit like a Pandora

Comment

I don't know how hard customs etc works out but aliexpress has some of the relatively recent 2plyr models, i suspect clones given the pricing. The newest ones are much more expensive but from what I can gather they've largely had 2D emulation nailed for a good while so Third Strike should be an easy one to run on most versions, I've seen Red Earth running flawlessly on multiple versions in vids.

Comment

Looking good, the A12 has shipped and is hitting Yodel's first stage tomorrow.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this, Neon.
          I appreciate you're pretty honest about these things.

Comment

Was looking ropey it was going to be delivered today but it's out now, 42 deliveries before mine. F5, F5, F5...

Comment

Did you play it yesterday?

It looks so good aside from being plain red. Why couldn't they add some spark to it? Make it look like a Sega or Neo cab.

Comment

It arrived late in the afternoon and so in the evening I unpacked it and turned it on. It had just enough power in it to switch the language to English (or an close approximation of it) and to try it out on Soul Edge and Street Fighter III: Third Strike.

The machines colour is garish and the colours of the screen look a bit washed out but on first impression that's about as big a criticism as I could levy against it. It feels really solid, the screen is a flexy lifted plastic shield about 1cm above the actual screen which I think is why it looks the way it does but it means you don't worry about it getting easily damaged. The stick and buttons feel responsive and good to use.

The second your mind begins to wonder about a negative you remember how insane it is that it even exists at its price point. Unless the menu is hiding them it seems not to have New Gen and Double Impact on it but I know the MicroSD can be popped into a PC and the list/roms edited so that will be a little project later. Didn't have any performance issues that I could tell, it'd be tempting to remove some of the odder rom choices that aren't suited to the system and replace them with more obscure PS1 fighters etc.

Comment

Yeah it is insane at this price. Makes you wonder why sega and neo didn't use this factory for their minis. They could have had a slightly larger machine for a similar price.

Comment

Where's my review, [MENTION=345]Neon Ignition[/MENTION]?!

Comment

I don't know what else I'd add to the above. I've had nearly zero issues with it so far, biggest thing is probably that the game titles aren't well named and will need manually editing at some point, also that the internal battery seems to drain pretty quickly. Otherwise though it's an astounding little machine for what it delivers and contains for the price.

Comment

Pffft. That it?

Yakumo's channel isn't being threatened by that.

I jest, thanks for the impressions, mate.

I have an OG Xbox with all the ROMs on, I wonder if I should try FTPing into that to get them, rather than re-download everything.

Comment

At a guess you should be able to as I don't think it's doing anything unique in terms of how roms etc are stored or used. Some may not be that compatible with the emulator version but it'd be hard to imagine most won't work fine

Comment

One small addition, maybe it's just my unit, but the battery life on this appears to be incredibly short so whilst you can go portable it'll be hooked to the mains most of the time

Comment

Working...
                            X