No announcement yet.

Critics Club III: Film of the Year 2002 Part Three

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching it at the cinema, I could feel my initial enthusiasm draining with every ridiculous development and by the time they're unconvingingly falling out of an unconvincing CGI airship, even that foxy vest top couldn't save it.

Pretty sure I sighed aloud as Brosnan surfed on a CGI tsunami and the Bond theme fired up.

Comment

The surfing was so terrible. It was a bad, bad movie.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I don't want to pick one, Neon.

However, I went with The Bourne Identity, which I thought was a real breath of fresh air, especially compared to the increasingly stale Bond films.

It wasn't just that Bourne was a badass that could disarm someone with a Biro, but he could also use his wits and escape using just a fire escape map. Absolutely blinding car chase in a mini too!

Shame they pissed it all away on the sequels by killing everyone off that you cared about in the original (winning the Alien3 award), making Bourne a robotic killer and introducing headache-inducing shakeycam that has blighted cinema for years.

But yeah, the original was amazing.
        Quoted for Truth

Comment

Yeah, the first Bourne film was my fave too ... never got all the love for the Greengrass ones.

Comment

Greengrass and Second Unit Director, Dan Bradley, are responsible for the cinematic abomination that is shakycam.

This video shows how the average shot length went from 4 seconds in the Bourne Identity to 2.4 seconds in Supremacy and then 2 in Ultimatum.

This then lead to a glut of Hollywood action movie makers thinking this is the best way to show action. They were wrong.

Comment

A lot of TV editing is is just as rapid these days ... like it's made for the smallest attention span.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                A lot of TV editing is is just as rapid these days ... like it's made for the smallest attention span.

Comment

My eyes!!!

Comment

I was confusing all the latter Bonds.

Comment

I was confusing all the latter Bonds
                      Lynn Benfield : Can't you cut one of the less important films?
                      Alan Partridge : Woah, woah-woah-woah-woah-woah, woah, woah! Woooah, woah-woah-woah-woah... Which are the less important Bond films, Lynn? I've got to hear this.

Comment

Working...
                      X