Am I mad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I mad?

I currently have a white Xbox One S (wrapped in a black decal skin & expanded with an added 1TB USB HDD) under my TV alongside about 5 other consoles, these are all black. I also own around 8 Xbox One Disk Games & around 10 UHD Films. I was all set to sell this to my sister (£100) and upgrade to the new "cheaper" Xbox Series Console. I do not have the funds for a £450-£500 console.

Today I see that the Series S is one month away and :

1) Its going to be sold only in white (no not again)!
    2) Its diskless & I have no other way to play my UHD 4K films
    3) Being diskless I have no way to play my Xbox Games or load in my OG/360 disks when they become compatible.
    4) Power wise I really dont think its going to be that much more powerful than the leading current gen console?

So I am currently looking at Ebay/Gumtree ads for a mint Black Xbox One X Consoles. One guy offered it to me for £150 but by the time I'd replied to the email he'd sold it to his mate,

Other info - TV is a 65" 4K BX LG Oled which supports 120hz & VRR. My Yamaha soundbar does not like 4K HDMIs & is currently connected to the XB1S via Optical.

My advice - just chill. A One X is not a great investment right now. I'd continue using your One S until you're financially in the right position to grab a Series X or PS5. Then you'll have something which takes full advantage of your TV, gives the best possible experience, and lets you play your UHD Blu-rays too. Anything else is going to be false economy.

Until then, chill. And enjoy playing games and watching Blu-rays on your One S. It won't explode just because they released a new one

PS Don't buy a Series S. It definitely isn't right for you from what you've said.

Comment

I'd forget about the Series S. The One X is a nice machine at the moment, but it looks like lots of next gen Series X games won't be compatible with the One X. I'd say it's best to look to the future and save up for a Series X.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. To be honest I'm starting to see it as a cheap £50 upgrade to tide me over while I save up for the full experience.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand One X, as I don't intend on buying a Series X yet, (if at all).

Comment

So I picked up my XB1X today, it was £150 from a Facebook ad, no controller but very good condition.

Its much smaller than I thought it would be, very attractive in a sort of ultra dark grey and so far extremely quiet, I havent a bit of fan noise yet.

I was stunned to see 120fps settings (res reduced to 1440P) or 60fps (Full 4K) along with HDR & VRR. I had presumed these would only work on the new Series machines but apparently they work fine with just HDMI 2.0.

All in all its been the right decision & will tide me over for a few years until those "Series S/X only" games start appearing.

Now off to test some 4K UHD's
            Last edited by paulus; 11-09-2020, 15:29.

Comment

Nice. Yeah the One X is great at doing 1440p with freesync and usually very quiet unless you're unlucky to get a loud one.

I'm about to get shot of mine once the new consoles are out but I'll be sad to see it go. I think it's the best made/looking console is this gen.

Comment

Originally posted by paulus View Post

Its much smaller than I thought it would be, very attractive in a sort of ultra dark grey and so far extremely quiet, I havent a bit of fan noise yet.

Yeah, it has a nice minimalist(but also quite chic) design, and it runs ultra quiet. I've been loving mine since buying it last year -- it made me feel more enthused about modern gaming. I'll end up getting a Series X, but not for a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  I'll end up getting a Series X, but not for a couple of years.
                  Will it be classed as "retro" in 2 years, then?
                  Last edited by QualityChimp; 12-09-2020, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Will it be classed as "retro" in 2 years, then?
                    That seems to be the law when it comes to what's classified as 'retro'.

When I go back to my Wii U -- an ancient Nintendo console from 2012 -- it feels so antiquated, so retro! It's a world away from modern consoles and what they offer.

Don't get me started on how ancient PS3 & 360 games look and feel.

Comment

[MENTION=7370]paulus[/MENTION]! Your inbox is full, please empty up space.

Comment

Done

Comment

Working...
                        X