Retro Rumble: Round 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    Yeah, it was the first racer where I really thought about the physics and could feel how advanced that aspect of the game was. It's a huge shame we didn't get a sequel. .

Me too. The game was so amazing, we even in school took the time to hook up 2 Amiga's for Link player. It was quite amazing and our computer teacher loved it and let us do it. I guess it helped he was a big micro computer fan.

Yeah, people said seeing the replays sold the game
    I didn't like the game much and enjoyed Toca, Rally more but one couldn't look past how much content was in GT and those replays were system seller's just like the GT3 replays tbf. That phone call off Lee, still hurts, but he was right. Luckily enough I talked my bother into getting a PS LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Super Mario 64 - Up there with the best launch games. Loved it from start to finish. One of the best looking N64 games too ... they seemed to get fuzzier after this launch miracle. I remember telling a colleague how PlayStation was screwed when this game/console arrived
      It's still the best looking N64 game and even today the 3D holds up, but no doubt that was because it didn't push a lot of textures. Pilotwings 64 suffered the blurry issues from day one. And speaking of which, what a launch line up that was too, with Mario 64 and Pilotwings N64 on day one.

Incredible stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        And speaking of which, what a launch line up that was too, with Mario 64 and Pilotwings N64 on day one.
        I picked up my USA machine with Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, and Wave Race 64. Three truly excellent games. Having so much fun with them is one reason why I'm fond of the N64.

The N64 didn't get loads of great games, but every few months throughout its life there was something special released.

Comment

I picked up my USA machine with Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, and Wave Race 64. Three truly excellent games. Having so much fun with them is one reason why I'm fond of the N64.

The N64 didn't get loads of great games, but every few months throughout its life there was something special released.
          . I got my N64 on it's USA launch along with Pilotwings and Mario. Mario was an incredible showcase and a great game, but I enjoyed Pilotwings 64 more.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            but I enjoyed Pilotwings 64 more.
            It looked quite astonishing backi n the day. The really nice atmosphere helped to make it such a playable experience. I'll always have fond memories of how special it was back in '96.

Comment

Subjectively I can understand why Third Strike isn’t in everyone’s list, but objectively it should be up there with Mario 64 as the clear winner. Its problem is the steep learning curve; even for seasoned SF2 players it still requires significant time investment, but for those that do it is head and shoulders the best SF game and, in my opinion, the deepest and best fighter of all time. The parrying mechanics have never been bettered, and its meta game is on another level. The new roster which never gained much traction to begin with have proven to be interesting and popular characters given their inclusion in subsequent SF titles, and in any case by stripping back on many of the popular characters, Capcom forced the game to feel fresh and new rather than another SF2 iteration.

Casuals May prefer Super or Alpha but for hardcore players, there is only one choice.
              Last edited by samanosuke; 13-09-2020, 19:34.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                Subjectively I can understand why Third Strike isn’t in everyone’s list
                I think it's probably because some people aren't heavily into fighting games, or maybe have no interest in them. Not all retro gamers like fighting games. Maybe one issue is how demanding and intricate the gameplay design is, so it might overwhelm the more casual fighting game fan.

When it comes to my personal interest in fighters, I was a huge fan of the SF2 series, then Tekken and Soul Edge etc... I didn't embrace the SF3 series with the same passion. That's because i wasn't so much into 2D fighters in the late '90s and into this century, even if I did play Marvel vs Capcom, Guilty Gear etc... I just didn't get overly excited about them.

I know that 3rd Strike is considered to be the cream of the crop, but I actually like the first SF3 game the most. I prefer the music and overall design and vibe of the game. 3rd Strike is certainly an expertly crafted game, but there are parts of it that don't grab me. I can understand all the praise, because I admire how special the game is, but personally it's not a fighter I get really excited about.

Casuals May prefer Super or Alpha but for hardcore players,
                I think Alpha 3 really struck a chord with a lot of gamers -- even casual gamers. There's something really over the top and fun about Alpha/Zero 3. It's definitely one of my faves.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 13-09-2020, 20:18.

Comment

Yep, Third Strike is the best entry to me but I prefer New Gen in terms of style and backgrounds

Comment

I totally get that and agree... TNC and 2I look, sound and feel like they’re running on proper 2D hardware and using 2D sprites. 3S is akin to a 2D game running on a PC (or 3D gen console such as the DC) by which I mean, rather than using hardware sprites/scrolling with chip tunes, everything feels like it’s being rendered/produced/handled by the CPU if that makes sense? The different look/feel between TNC/2I and 3S is almost a generation apart

Comment

I don't really play 1 v 1 fighters any more.
                      The games don't seem to provide much value for me beyond unlocking all the characters and ending vids.
                      Played Tekken loads, learning all the moves for King, but I dunno, it just feels like everybody in the world is better than me and I can't be arsed getting beaten repeatedly.

For me, that shift from friendly competition where everyone knew a fireball, hundred hand slap or spinning bird kick into too competitive was post-SFII. Everyone got really serious about it and it stopped being fun.

I still like playing Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, but I love the art and animation, something I think 3 lost with its 3D characters rather than hand-drawn sprites.

Comment

The different look/feel between TNC/2I and 3S is almost a generation apart
                        Yeah, 3rd Strike feels like a really slick modern 2D fighter, whereas New Generation & 2nd Impact have a more traditional design/vibe inline with SSF2. I really like the old school music and graphic design in NG.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I still like playing Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, but I love the art and animation,
                        I just play games like MvC for the visceral thrills, rather than trying to be great at them. The Fist of the North Star fighter is one of my faves.

Comment

I always wanted that PS2 FotNS game, but I don't think it was region free or in English?
                          It seemed to come out well into the PS3 lifetime too, IIRC?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            I always wanted that PS2 FotNS game, but I don't think it was region free or in English?
                            Yeah, it's a Japan-exclusive. I think you can play the arcade version through an Atomiswave emulator these days. The PS2 version is a great port that looks really nice. Being a fan of the original FotNS anime from the '80s, I especially enjoy what the game has to offer.

Comment

Subjectively I can understand why Third Strike isn’t in everyone’s list.
                              3rd Strike is the best 2D Vs Fighter there is, but it just came at the wrong time and Capcom milked SF II far too much. By the time of SF III 3D was talking over the world and people had go so used to their fav SF II characters and spin off's that by the time of SF III and all those new characters they weren't prepared to put the effort in to learn all the new moves and combo's, not helped by the time it took for a homeport either.

What I hate most about SF III is the lack of line scrolling on the floor, that to me almost made SF II game look more impressive in a weird way

Comment

It looked quite astonishing backi n the day. The really nice atmosphere helped to make it such a playable experience. I'll always have fond memories of how special it was back in '96.
                                Pilotwings 64 is of my all-time fav games ever. My lovely auntie helped to fund most of the cost of my Import N64 on it's launch inthe USA and I spend the whole day almost playing nothing but that game. Just to fly around and in and out of aera's with no polygon folding or break up was incredible and memorising at the time

I so miss the days when you just couldn't wait for that new import system for Japan or the USA, it just seemed a little more special

Comment

Working...
                                X