Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 10

Dead or Alive 2
    Gran Turismo 1 & 2
    Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
    Stunt Car Racer
    Super Mario 64
    Tomb Raider

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.

DoA2, 3rd Strike and Mario 64.

This was an easy one for me. DoA2 was one of my first PS2 games, 3rd Strike is my favourite fighter of all time, and Mario 64 holds many nostalgic memories.

Comment

Third Strike, first and foremost beyond a shadow of a doubt, followed by Mario 64 and then I suppose Stunt Car Racer by default, because I played it and enjoyed it and I'm not really bothered about any of the others.
      Last edited by endo; 10-09-2020, 23:40.

Comment

Super Mario 64
        Street Fighter III: Third Strike
        Tomb Raider

Never really clicked with Gran Turismo till the third, I think the PS1 was a little to limited for them. I did love DOA2 at the time but it's absolutely leagues behind SF3 let alone some of the other options. Only have limited experience with Stunt Car Racer

Comment

Third Strike: I spent a stupid amount of time playing this and Double Impact on DC and in the arcades. Not that I was ever any good at it lmao but I loved it all the same.

Tomb Raider:
          I rented a Saturn just to play this back in the day, and even all these years later it's atmospheric and fun. It does get ****ing weird towards the end though.

Gran Turismo: The only sim-like racing game I've ever enjoyed. I put a silly amount of time into the first two before I stopped playing the series.

Never felt anything for Mario 64. Not a fan of the controls, camera or levels.

Comment

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post
            This was an easy one for me. DoA2 was one of my first PS2 games,
            I have great memories of how stunning the Dreamcast version was back in '99. It's still fun to go back to.

Originally posted by endo View Post
            and then I suppose Stunt Car Racer by default, because I played it and enjoyed it.
            Stunt Car Racer blew me away back in the day -- and it stands the test of time pretty well. I just wish there had been a sequel with more variety to the visuals for the tracks. At least someone made a modded version with new track designs.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Never really clicked with Gran Turismo till the third,
            I also didn't become a big fan of the series' until the third game blew me away. It looked amazing on my 32" widescreen tv back in 2001. I know people who enjoy going back to the original games(especially GT2), but I haven't played them for ages.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            Third Strike: I spent a stupid amount of time playing this and Double Impact on DC and in the arcades. Not that I was ever any good at it lmao but I loved it all the same.
            I'm also not great at the SF3 games, but they're really fun to play. I still feel really impressed by the animation and graphics whenever I go back to Third Strike.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-09-2020, 02:08.

Comment

Tomb Raider - one of my fave games
              Dead or Alive 2

sad to say i haven't played the others.

Comment

First one of these rumble threads (that I can recall) where I don't really care for any of the titles whatsoever. None grabbed me back then, nothing has changed over the years. A couple of exceptionally overhyped piles of trash in there too haha!

Guess I'll go TR if only because I have some fabulously early Saturn betas that one can eke out a smidgeon of fun from.

Comment

1) Stunt Car Racer - Most prob the 1st racer when I leaned and appreciated the importance of what physics meant a racing game. Gutted we never ever got a sequel

2) Tomb Raider - Amazing experience in 96 and there was nothing else quite like it and the 3D held up really well too

3) GT - I don't like the game that much but it shaped the future of driving games forever and was so far ahead of its time. I still remember that horrible phone call from Lee: saying I need to buy a PS and how he'll give me a good deal. That was the day SONY took SEGA's driving crown and it was a killer. Those replays just looked so amazing at the time, the replays on their own would sell a system

Comment

Stunt Car Racer was ace, but quite tough not falling off the course!
                    I've played Mario 64 more and am looking forward to playing the 3D All Stars version again after only playing it the first time around on the N64. That's my first choice.

Gran Turismo is my second choice. I remember buying it with my PlayStation after seeing the replays running in the local indie games shop in Sunderland. I really enjoyed it as a game, too. More sensible than arcadey titles I was used to and tried experimenting with different car setups. The 60 fps unlockable arcade mode was so purdy too. Nice there were different ways to play it and so many cars. Yeah, you couldn't crash and the reflections were just a visual trick, but it was a real benchmark in racing games.

Tomb Raider is my top choice. What an amazing game. The PlayStation's limited draw distance seemed to work in favour in darkened tombs. The control system was clever, with a precise option and a more fluid style.
                    The puzzles were great and the moments when it clicked how you were supposed to solve them were great.
                    It was also pretty violent, mainly to Lara, getting impaled on Damocles' sword, turned to gold on Midas' hand, chomped by a croc or that painfully long drowning animation.
                    There were thrills too, turning the corner to see a gorilla waiting for you or that brilliant sequence where the ominous music starts and the T-Rex emerges from the darkness to scare the hell out of you. *CHOMP*
                    It just felt more grown up than jumping on turtle shells.

Comment

Super Mario 64 - Up there with the best launch games. Loved it from start to finish. One of the best looking N64 games too ... they seemed to get fuzzier after this launch miracle. I remember telling a colleague how PlayStation was screwed when this game/console arrived

STIII 3rd Strike - Got to be a contender for finest 2D fighter ever. I never got anywhere near good enough to play at any decent level but had a ton of classic couch co-op fun with my mates and a Dreamcast.

Third one is tough but I'll go with Gran Truismo. It was the replays that sold me straight away, seeing the Jp import running in my local indie was a real wow moment. The game played great in that sweet-spot where you had a tasty motor but it wasn't so competitive it made the races too easy, as happened eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                        A couple of exceptionally overhyped piles of trash in there too haha!

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        1) Stunt Car Racer - Most prob the 1st racer when I leaned and appreciated the importance of what physics meant a racing game. Gutted we never ever got a sequel
                        Yeah, it was the first racer where I really thought about the physics and could feel how advanced that aspect of the game was. It's a huge shame we didn't get a sequel.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        Those replays just looked so amazing at the time, the replays on their own would sell a system
                        Yeah, people said seeing the replays sold the game. It really was a stunning game back in the day, even if it looks like a huge block fest now.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Super Mario 64 - Up there with the best launch games. Loved it from start to finish. One of the best looking N64 games too ... they seemed to get fuzzier after this launch miracle.
                        Yeah, one of the best -- and most significant -- launch games ever. I remember showing it to people who didn't like games and they thought it was amazing.

When devs tried to make N64 games look more realistic with detailed textures, you ended up with a lot of blurriness. Nintendo and RARE managed to handle that issue better than most third party devs, probably because they knew more about the hardware. it was obviously a difficult machine to get to grips with compared to the PS1.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-09-2020, 06:19.

Comment

My votes:

Stunt Car Racer: I remember loving this back in the day -- and it's still a racer I enjoy going back to. There's nothing else quite like it.

Super Mario 64: It has a timeless quality that's all about how fun it is to play, and how the charming design still shines bright. Nintendo created a golden classic with their first 3D Mario game.

Dead or Alive 2: This has a fun pick-up-and-play vibe about it that keeps me coming back for more. One of my go-to Dreamcast games.

Comment

The votes so far:

Super Mario 64: 6 votes
                            Tomb Raider: 6 votes
                            SF3: 3rd Strike: 5 votes
                            Gran Turismo 1 & 2: 4 votes
                            Stunt Car Racer: 3 votes
                            Dead or Alive 2: 3 votes

Mario and Lara battle it out for the top spot.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-09-2020, 21:14.

Comment

SF3, Mario 64, Stunt Car Racer

Comment

Working...
                              X