Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody custom firmware their PS3 to do stuff other than play "backups"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody custom firmware their PS3 to do stuff other than play "backups"?

I'm just interested to know. I have a PS3 lying around doing nothing, and I wondered if I could breathe some extra life out of it by adding some emulation etc, but I dunno what it can do.

Anyone done it?

I've done a few in the past. Bluray multi region was useful. Retroarch, if that's your bag.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
      I've done a few in the past. Bluray multi region was useful. Retroarch, if that's your bag.
      Hang on you can multi region of the PS3???

Comment

Can it emulate Saturn, DC and N64 much?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
          Can it emulate Saturn, DC and N64 much?
          Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
            Hang on you can multi region of the PS3???
            I used rebug firmware and indeed you could matey. I used it for Region A Criterions as well as UK locked discs so yoi definitely could. It's hidden fairly well in the multi man menu somewhere if I recall correctly...which I might not.

Comment

I've mostly just done it to create the ultimate PS3 library. However...

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
              I used rebug firmware and indeed you could matey. I used it for Region A Criterions as well as UK locked discs so yoi definitely could. It's hidden fairly well in the multi man menu somewhere if I recall correctly...which I might not.
              I hadn't really considered this, definitely something I'll be looking into.

Comment

I had no idea you could use it for multi-region Blu-Ray, but that makes sense now that I think about it. Hmm...

Comment

Is REBUG easier to install these days? Or would grabbing a done unit be easier than worrying about firmware version.

Comment

If you have firmware version 4.86 and lower, it's easy. Done through the browser of PS3. Just need a PC and USB stick to get some files. I used a YouTube video tute from a few months back.

Comment

Looks like I want a CECH-2003a then, have to keep my eyes peeled for a good price.

Comment

Why that model?

Comment

First revision of slim, seems like a sure bet for a CFW install rather than just being HEN. I don't want a phat either.

Comment

Oh, I like the slim, don't like the revised slim, looks really cheap and nasty. Probably better in terms of reliability of the drive, though.

Comment

I had a super slim and it was great. Quiet and didn't run so hot. In this case there are some revisions of the regular slim that are less exploitable basically. Easy way to tell seems to be 120/250GB HDD vs the later 160/320 options.

Comment

Working...
                              X