Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody custom firmware their PS3 to do stuff other than play "backups"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got around to doing this, got myself a Japanese CECH-2500B which is a 320GB slim and seems to be one of the last machines you can properly install CFW on. You appear to be able to install HEN on any PS3 but that seems less integrated to the system. Got a few delisted games going, noticed that I was able to boot a US PS1 game directly from the disc and I believe you're able to change blu-ray region flags which could prove handy.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      Finally got around to doing this, got myself a Japanese CECH-2500B which is a 320GB slim and seems to be one of the last machines you can properly install CFW on. You appear to be able to install HEN on any PS3 but that seems less integrated to the system. Got a few delisted games going, noticed that I was able to boot a US PS1 game directly from the disc and I believe you're able to change blu-ray region flags which could prove handy.
      Pretty much, I have HEN on my Super Slim which works fine and does everything I need but a permanant solution is best.

Comment

I traded my Super Slim for a regular Slim last year to do CFW because HEN was pretty much just for playing dodgy games(no homebrew).

I was using RetroArch a bit but it would crash if I tried an arcade rom that was the wrong version, forcing a reboot and disk check. This isn’t RetroArch’s fault, but the same thing happening on PC would just crash RetroArch itself.

I also use a PS3 media player called Movian which is decent.

Comment

I installed Movian and it seems not so bad, need to try a bigger file at 1080p though. Dropped a 500GB MX500 SSD in my PS3 too. Apparently super slim have a SATA-II interface so would better utilise an SSD than earlier models, though I can't seem to find concrete evidence of this. No CFW there though so no huge loss.
          Last edited by speedlolita; 15-12-2020, 12:40.

Comment

Working...
          X