Retro Rumble: Round 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    That's Thunder Force IV. TF3 isn't quite so impressive. Just look at that parallax.
    Ah, fair play. I don't think I've played any since BITD, so they all blur into one.

Comment

My votes:

Super Off Road: I've always been really fond of the excellent SNES version -- it's such a well crafted game in all areas. Stands the test of time perfectly.

Smash TV: Another game where the SNES version is my fave. It may be a slogfest, but I always come back for more carnage.

Mercs: It refined similar games to deliver a great looking experience that's a joy to play through. The MD version is also a classic.

Comment

The votes so far:

Mercs: 7 votes
        Smash TV: 7 votes
        The Punisher: 4 votes
        Super Off Road: 3 votes
        Captain Commando: 2 votes
        Thunder Force 3: 0 votes

Run-'n-gun action is what the people want.

Comment

Oh that is a fancy advert for Shekhana! I have memories of the two-tone ones in blue and white half page. Got my Phillips monitor connecting lead from them for my US SNES if I recall.

The Future is Now - Neo Geo! Nice comparison charts to SNES, MD and NEC 4096 colours 380 sprites 15 track stereo sound! Take my money! You do not get any adverts like these anymore! I wonder who won the Neo Geo

£39.99 and £44.99 for SNES Cartridges Those prices ring a bell as the USA versions were always slightly more than the Japanese! Seemed like a lot compared to the £24.99 for Amiga games at the time and budget options.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
            £39.99 and £44.99 for SNES Cartridges Those prices ring a bell as the USA versions were always slightly more than the Japanese! Seemed like a lot compared to the £24.99 for Amiga games at the time and budget options.
            I used to pay between £35-45 for SNES games -- and would buy JP and USA versions. Mega Drive games were a bit cheaper at around £35 for any game.

Amiga games being £24.99 always seemed like a con, so I used to wait a bit and get them cheaper at computer shows/fairs. You could get a lot of bargains, so I had quite a lot of Amiga games in my collection. But some of them were rubbish.

I don't think I ever bought a bad console game, so I never felt ripped off. I still have my original copy of F-Zero -- been playing it for 29 years. As much as £35 to £45 was a lot, at least the best AAA games felt truly special.

It was interesting to see that Shekhana were selling some Neo Geo games for £65. And Last Resort for £135 doesn't seem too bad from a modern perspective.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-09-2020, 17:34.

Comment

Oh I defintely was more careful with console purchases. I never bought a duff game on the SNES as there were so many good ones to choose from, and if you did get bored of one or completed it there was a SWAP Cart near me that was great for £5 to trade it in for something new.

I always researched my purchases from reviews first in honesty or went with Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, Square, Lucasarts, Enix as dependable.

I think the only impulse purchase I ever made was Zombies Ate My Neighbours that turned out to be brilliant from CA Games that had a store in Glasgow and Stirling! They also did a Streetfighter 2 Turbo Tournament one year that got loads of participants.

Played Zombies for about 5 minutes and thought it was great plus the artwork and B-Horror Movie hook was enticing on the box

Last edited by CAPCOM; 18-09-2020, 19:28.

Comment

I think the only impulse purchase I ever made was Zombies Ate My Neighbours that turned out to be brilliant from CA Games that had a store in Glasgow and Stirling!
                It was a nice surprise to get such a well made American SNES game that was top quality in all areas. It's interesting that Konami published it, because even though it wasn't made by them, it was the sort of high quality title you'd expect from the company.

It's strange that it didn't get a Super Famicom release. A situation where Japanese gamers had to import a game.

The sequel, Ghoul Patrol, felt like a big let down. It just didn't have the charm and magic of the first game.

Comment

I bought a few crap console games but got rid of them fast.

I recall pal MD games were mainly stocked in the big electronics chains, Shinobi was 35 and Ghouls n Ghosts was 45. Never liked the pal box art or instructions compared to the full colour Japan versions.

I can vividly remember a weird smell to UK MD instructions, like tobacco or something I wonder if it's the paper they used.

Snes import games could be very pricey , then a few years later the importers near me tried charging 50 to 70 quid for import Psx titles like Einhander or less well known ones nobody really knew so I wonder who bought them. They were dics so the old excuse of memory prices didn't apply.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                    I can vividly remember a weird smell to UK MD instructions, like tobacco or something I wonder if it's the paper they used.
                    I've never smelled the UK instruction manuals. I was focused on JP games that had nice box art and were cheaper than UK games.

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                    then a few years later the importers near me tried charging 50 to 70 quid for import Psx titles like Einhander or less well known ones nobody really knew so I wonder who bought them. They were dics so the old excuse of memory prices didn't apply.
                    You always had some importers who charged silly money for games. I never bought new games from CEX for that reason. It was pretty easy to find an importer with reasonable prices that were often between £10-20 cheaper. Some people obviously had more money than sense. I had a friend who paid £70 for Final Fight 2.

Comment

Seemed like a lot compared to the £24.99 for Amiga games at the time and budget options.
                      Even more so when you could get them for a quid from some geezer down the local market.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        Even more so when you could get them for a quid from some geezer down the local market.
                        I knew people who knew the "geezer down the market" but I enjoyed going to computer shows/fairs and buying Amiga games for under £20. You could get older(a year or two old) games for under £10.

Friends who didn't buy games thought I was crazy for having a collection of boxed games. But they didn't seem to enjoy games as much, because they'd always be wiping disks to put a new game on. They didn't appreciate games at all. It feels the same when you just have 50,000 MAME roms.

Comment

My votes:

Super Off Road: I've always been really fond of the excellent SNES version -- it's such a well crafted game in all areas. Stands the test of time perfectly.

Smash TV: Another game where the SNES version is my fave. It may be a slogfest, but I always come back for more carnage.

Mercs: It refined similar games to deliver a great looking experience that's a joy to play through. The MD version is also a classic.
                          Smash TV on the Snes is almost Arcade perfect and really showed off some nice sprite handling for a system, the MD version is utter crap in comparsion . Mercs on the MD is amazing, a stunning port and the extra mode was totally brilliant

Comment

I knew people who knew the "geezer down the market" but I enjoyed going to computer shows/fairs and buying Amiga games for under £20. You could get older(a year or two old) games for under £10.

Friends who didn't buy games thought I was crazy for having a collection of boxed games. But they didn't seem to enjoy games as much, because they'd always be wiping disks to put a new game on. They didn't appreciate games at all. It feels the same when you just have 50,000 MAME roms.
                            Yeah, I had some nice big boxed games, mostly bought from one of those rip-off club things where you get your first five games for £25 odd. Was good having manuals for a lot of the more PC style games like Frontier: Elite 2 and F1GP... fook knows how people that pirated those sort of games managed to get the best out of them in the pre-internet era.

Comment

I remember some big box 8 bit games ,too. Was it really a good idea to convert Gunship to the Spectrum?

Comment

Captain Commando
                                The Punisher
                                Smash TV

2 player Smash TV on the SNES is so much fun. Spent hours playing that with my bro.

Comment

Working...
                                X