Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 11

Captain Commando
    Mercs
    Smash TV
    Super Off Road
    The Punisher
    Thunder Force 3

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-09-2020, 13:30.

Tougher one this week, Leon!
    I'll have a think!

Comment

Mercs - this is what I was imagining when I used to play Commando. I still remember buying the MD version on import from Barkman Computers in Kingston (when it had a small corner on the otherwise mostly empty first floor above Woolies). Cash in pocket, excited at what I might find, Mercs demo / attract is playing on one of the TVs, 'there's a whole new mode' the chap says, sold! Got in a game or two of Golden Axe on the cab at the side, head home, melt in delight!

Smash TV - Big Money, Big Prizes, I Love It!

Punisher

Comment

Mercs, Punisher and Smash TV as well.

I had Mercs as a kid on the MD and it's phenomenal. I bought the arcade board a few years back.
        The Punisher I feel is a little overrated as people go insane over it, but it's still a great game
        Smash TV is classic mayhem. I played a lot of the gimped MD version when I was younger and liked that, but when you can play it with a SNES controller or joystick it's even better.

Comment

Mercs - I love this game and this game was also my very 1st import game from Dream Machines and the wonderful Lee.

Super Off Road - Loved this in the Arcades with friends and the Amiga part was amazing.

Smash TV - If only for it showed how sprite handling could be done on the SNES

Comment

Smash TV, Mercs and The Punisher for me.

Never played the Smash TV arcade and the game had been out ages on the SNES before I tried it but I loved when I finally did. The Running Man style TV show presentation was class and the game played great thanks to an inspired control set-up.

Comment

Mercs - The arcade version was awesome and even on the Amiga they did an okay conversion, played it again on my retro handheld this summer actually all the way through.
              Smash TV - Super NES conversion was brilliant with the pad replicating the twin sticks. Mutoid Man!
              Super Off Road - Loved this game on the Amiga, was so competitive and infuriating in equal measure, with that just one more go feel. The arcade cab was great with three steering wheels and pedals if I recall.

Last edited by CAPCOM; 16-09-2020, 17:51.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                melt in delight!
                Great story.

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post
                but when you can play it with a SNES controller or joystick it's even better.
                I'll always love the SNES version the most.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                from Dream Machines and the wonderful Lee.
                You've mentioned him so many times on the board... that he now has legend status.

Super Off Road - Loved this in the Arcades with friends and the Amiga part was amazing.
                The first time I played the game was on the SNES, and I thought it was excellent. It's such a gem.

The Amiga port is also really good.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                the game had been out ages on the SNES before I tried it but I loved when I finally did. The Running Man style TV show presentation was class and the game played great thanks to an inspired control set-up.
                Yeah, great concept, design and gameplay. A tough game, but it's always fun to go back to.

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
                Super Off Road - Loved this game on the Amiga, was so competitive and infuriating in equal measure, with that just one more go feel.
                Yeah, it has that 'one more go' quality that keeps you playing and coming back for more. The developer did a great job in all areas to make the game feel really polished.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-09-2020, 00:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  You've mentioned him so many times on the board... that he now has legend status
                  I'll always have a lot of time for Lee. Top bloke a SEGA man and back in the day the best import shop going. I used to use Krazy consoles and more so ICE for my import needs, untill Colin did a runner and that's when I found Lee and Dream Machines 1

The first time I played the game was on the SNES
                  I never saw or played the SNES version, but the game was like in every Arcade in Barry Island and Porthcawl. Would always be playing that along with Konami Main Event wresting game in the Arcades with a group of mates. I didn't like the game enough to buy it on the consoles, but one of my mates did and got it for the Amiga and we used to think it was Arcade perfect back then LOL.

Comment

Captain Commando. Played this late, on a PSP compilation, but love it.

Punisher. The arcade game is fantastic.

Smash TV. Brilliant cheesy fun.

Only played the Lynx version of Super Off Road, and it's crap. Haven't played the other two. So an easy choice for me.

Comment

Smash TV is good fun and a nice approximation of The Running Man film, but it's definitely into coin-guzzler territory and there's only so many screens you can face before it feels rigged just to get your money.

Super Off-Road is good, but I think I prefer that top-down F1 game.
                      Ivan "Ironman" Stewart is 75 now.

I love the Punisher, but can't choose them all. I feel Cap pips him with variety.

So Captain Commando is my first choice. Such a great Capcom "Belt Action" game.
                      Each character was totally unique and felt fun to play. Ginzu is one of my favourite videogame ninjas, he look so badass and Babyhead is such a bonkers idea, but really memorable! Loved the daggers on the mummy slicing enemies in twain.
                      The levels and enemies are really varied from Cavemen to henchmen to electric sai women.

MERCS is a great arcade experience with big graphics and hidden bonuses.
                      Fair play to the Mega Drive version that went beyond the arcade mode to add an Original mode too, to add longevity to the home version.

Thunderforce 3
                      isn't the best blaster around, but the games mags of the time (C&VG or Mean Machines) reviewed it and made me try a genre I wouldn't normally have tried and I really enjoyed it. Graphically, it was amazing, with playing areas bigger than what was on-screen and some excellent examples of parallax scrolling.

Comment

I'll always have a lot of time for Lee. Top bloke a SEGA man and back in the day the best import shop going. I used to use Krazy consoles and more so ICE for my import needs, untill Colin did a runner and that's when I found Lee and Dream Machines 1
                        I mostly used small import shops around London, because the bigger shops charged around £10 more. I just went in the bigger shops to browse and play the latest games, but they didn't get my money.

There was a guy who turned his living room into an import shop, so you'd enter his house and the front room would be full of consoles and monitors, with stacks of games etc... I bought my import SNES from him. The prices were much better than in import shops.

but one of my mates did and got it for the Amiga and we used to think it was Arcade perfect back then LOL.
                        I haven't played the Amiga version, but it looks OK. The SNES version felt really special back in the day.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                        Captain Commando. Played this late, on a PSP compilation, but love it.
                        I really like the wacky characters and over the top design. It's always fun to go back to.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                        Only played the Lynx version of Super Off Road, and it's crap. Haven't played the other two. So an easy choice for me.
                        I can't imagine it working well on a tiny screen.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Smash TV is good fun and a nice approximation of The Running Man film, but it's definitely into coin-guzzler territory and there's only so many screens you can face before it feels rigged just to get your money.
                        Yeah, that's an issue. They should have refined the design a bit for the home, so it doesn't feel like such a slogfest.

Babyhead is such a bonkers idea, but really memorable!

Such funny design.

That's Thunder Force IV. TF3 isn't quite so impressive. Just look at that parallax.

Comment

Speaking of old retro shops my one of choice was Shekhana Consoles.

I might did out an old Super Play, Mean Machines or CVG and see what adverts they had to jog the memory.

I also recall one called Skill that became popular during the later end of the SNES lifespan for its depth of choice as they always had full page adverts and that became a favourite.

Comment

Speaking of old retro shops my one of choice was Shekhana Consoles.

I used to visit the Tottenham Court Road shop now and then. A friend bought a US SNES from them.

I also recall one called Skill that became popular during the later end of the SNES lifespan for its depth of choice as they always had full page adverts and that became a favourite.
                            I think it was called 'Skill Academy'. I bought an import Dreamcast from the shop in Ealing Broadway.

There was also Raven Games in Beckhenham, but their prices were a bit too high. An import shop in Feltham called TORC had really attractive prices. Import 3DO games were under £40 in 1994, so that's where I got my games for the system, seeing they were over £50 in CEX.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-09-2020, 23:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              I can't imagine it working well on a tiny screen.
                              The visuals are fine, but the collisions and controls ruin it. Apparently it's fine on Game Gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X