Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The All things MiSTer thread (Now Consolised)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

small package of Mister goodies arrived today.

Comment

Welcome to the club. Best value retro gaming device ever.

Comment

I need one of those inline power switches, it’s a pain pulling the cable out the back when I’m done playing.

Comment

Heard a fair bit about the MiSTer on podcasts and youTube recently.

But what exactly is it? I gather it’s like a self assembly Raspberry Pi emu box, but more expensive, close enough?

Comment

Completely different. Instead of using software to emulate the behaviour of the machine it’s emulating e.g.

Ah it seems that when a SNES is asked to render a triangle is does this, so we’ll write some software to render a triangle in the same way

Instead of that it programs thousands of logic gates to replicate the chips in the consoles. All of them. So in the SNES for example they have the 68000 cpu modelled, plus the custom chips. If you get that all right then what you’ve made is a clone of a SNES basically.

So, it’s simulating the original hardware rather than emulating the behaviour of the device.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Completely different. Instead of using software to emulate the behaviour of the machine it’s emulating e.g.

Ah it seems that when a SNES is asked to render a triangle is does this, so we’ll write some software to render a triangle in the same way

Instead of that it programs thousands of logic gates to replicate the chips in the consoles. All of them. So in the SNES for example they have the 68000 cpu modelled, plus the custom chips. If you get that all right then what you’ve made is a clone of a SNES basically.

So, it’s simulating the original hardware rather than emulating the behaviour of the device.
              So it’s essentially software pretending to be the Super NES hardware, but it pretends more accurately than ‘regular’ emulators?

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                So it’s essentially software pretending to be the Super NES hardware, but it pretends more accurately than ‘regular’ emulators?
                Almost, the Mister is hardware that can shapeshift into a SNES. A few taps of the controller buttons and its suddenly a NEO GEO or a Dig Dug machine. It's really rather clever 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                  Pi is software trying hard at pretending to be hardware with mixed results.

MiSTer is hardware simulating hardware, 1:1.

Hence the huge gulf in price. If you placed the MiSTer next to real hardware behind a darkened screen and run both across a pair of CRT screens you could probably tell the MiSTer apart due to the superior AV out. Everything else is 100% identical.

Comment

Pi is software trying to behave in the same way as the original hardware. How it does its doesn’t matter, only that it behaves in the same way, preferably exactly the same way. It generally does it in entirely different ways to the original hardware, because it’s software. It doesn’t lend itself to emulating actual hardware.

Mister uses an fpga. The fpga is programmable hardware.

Massively simplified when you compile the code for a SNES emulator to run on a Pi the output is a program that runs on an Arm processor and pretends to be a SNES. When you compile the code for a SNES simulator to run on a mister the output is a 6502 cpu (or whatever variant it has), all the SNES sound and custom chips and all the wiring between them.
                    Last edited by Brad; 03-12-2020, 20:28.

Comment

Can the mister output super resolution, or just the game resolution ie 320x224p?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                        Can the mister output super resolution, or just the game resolution ie 320x224p?
                        It supports a huge range of scaled output resolutions in both 4:3 and 16:9 ratios using many variations of cable VGA, HDMI, DVID, Composite, Scart, etc.

Comment

I recently joined the MiSTer club as I mentioned in the main forum: https://bordersdown.net/threads/1240...=1#post2391770

However I just wondered how people are running their Amiga setups on Minimig?

I want to setup an Amiga Workbench with a games launcher (Tiny, AGS or whatever) but can't decide on how to start.

It seems CoffinOS (Vampire), Classic Workbench, Best & Better Workbench are all options but some of those quite a bit of work. HstWB Installer seems to be a good resource but looks quite complicated. I've got Amiga Forever and AmiKit but not the latest Workbench 3.1.4.

I've got my new 128GB mSD card from Amazon last night so started playing around with it some more. After a glorious first hour or so with this I did seem to have more bugs with this last night. After using Mr. Fusion and updating. None of my Cores had sound. A restart fixed this. And then when playing with some Arcade cores (https://github.com/RetroDriven/MiSTerMAME) I had to restart the Mister a few times, i.e. Pacman started to glitch out and even impacted the main menu upon reset.

SNES/MD cores are beutiful. No issues with those so far, and I hope Neo Geo and PC Engine are on that level.

Comment

10% off using code MADLITTLEPIXEL @ https://ultimatemister.com/ I’m not sure when it will expire

Comment

finally found some time to get the case started on my mister
                              decided onthe 360 as it had the most room inside, plus the holes for the connectors were already there.

dry fit

with a small amount of glue

just waiting on some M3 bolts to fix it to the bottom of the case, then a few tweaks before final case covering.

Comment

my Mister now fully installed into the Xbox360, nothing fancy but does the job.

im not the best at soldering so didn't try, reuse the existing ports on the case at the rear,
                                so there is Hdmi, the 3.5mm audio jack, RJ45 and 3 usbs, and a further 2 usbs behind the small flap at the front.

some hot glue to keep the cables in place.

using the HD bay to access the memory card if needed.
                                Last edited by beecee; 11-01-2021, 13:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X