Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The All things MiSTer thread (Now Consolised)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone seen this has gone live today

Can anyone enlightened in this stuff let me know how that compares & if it's a plug & play option??

Neil

Comment

Isn't that just an ITX adapter board for the DE10-Nano?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        Not a clue lol

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          Yes. Not a bad idea. Just whack it in a PC case and you can choose what ports you want on the backplate. better than the RMC offering I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
            Not a clue lol
            Just set a MiSTer up yourself. We can easily suggest a shopping list of parts and link to the most efficient YT vids. You’d have to be severely mentally and physically challenged to destroy anything or fail the process. If you can build a £5 Lego set for four-year-olds using the instructions you can build a MiSTer.

If you like one of these case or consolised solutions you can always install one afterwards. They’re certainly not going to make the initial setup any easier, in fact quite the opposite. Jamming a compact little thing such as the DE-10 into a large ITX case doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

Easily the most labour intensive and time consuming setup task surely has to be the organisation of the ROMs on the SD card. Nothing commercially available is ever going to assist with that. I can, though.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Jamming a compact little thing such as the DE-10 into a large ITX case doesn’t make any sense to me at all.
              The logic for me is that most MiSTER cases are garbage and the good ones are always sold out. ITX cases are readily available in a massive range of styles. So, more choice plus availability at the cost of it being larger (which admittedly is disappointing at least, a deal breaker at worst so I see where you're coming from).

Comment

Just set a MiSTer up yourself. We can easily suggest a shopping list of parts and link to the most efficient YT vids. You’d have to be severely mentally and physically challenged to destroy anything or fail the process. If you can build a £5 Lego set for four-year-olds using the instructions you can build a MiSTer.

If you like one of these case or consolised solutions you can always install one afterwards. They’re certainly not going to make the initial setup any easier, in fact quite the opposite. Jamming a compact little thing such as the DE-10 into a large ITX case doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

Easily the most labour intensive and time consuming setup task surely has to be the organisation of the ROMs on the SD card. Nothing commercially available is ever going to assist with that. I can, though.
                I can relate to this. I have two MiSTer setup with the BlisSter boards on each of them. I like their compact size. They only thing I would change and probably the reason I would for a very small case solution is for them not to have any wires outside the case.

Agree that the most painful and time consuming thing is setting the SD card correctly with all the files.

Pic for reference, my two MiSTer boxes:

Comment

That's what I've been saying all along - The cable management in all MiSTer units to put it politely is shy-te...

Here is mine though. Notice the ethernet cable is on one side and the power cable and HDMI is on the other side.
                  At the front, I've got the the Micro SD card with a headphone jack and at the back I have 5 USB ports (one is keyboard, one is Buffalo Classic USB Gamepad for PC).

HP sauce packet and my wireless phone charger to show you some kind of scale.
                  Last edited by phillai; 28-10-2021, 23:45.

Comment

Yup, cable management is bad. I always wondered why they couldn't make these connections internally through the PCBs.

The above cases are also very small. Each is like an iPhone 8 in width and just a tad shorter in depth/length. And the height is like 3-4 phones stacked on top of each other.

I really like this small design. I just wish the cables were taken into consideration when designing this. Now they feel/look like an afterthought.

Comment

That’s the thing, the whole system is an afterthought. The de10 is supposed to be a development board, sat on a bench somewhere. The add on boards have all been made to the same size so they stack but what you end up with is an absolute mess with wires coming out every side so yes the device is small but the space needed isn’t. I may put mine in my streacom media pc case. Six times the size of the mister but it looks like high end hifi equipment rather than some work
                      In progress on my desk.

Comment

This is all I have coming out of mine:

An RJ-45 popping out the front would ruin the setup, so I went with the WiFi dongle. It's not like I'm using this to generate income through professional eSports, so WiFi is fine for updating and organisation.

My audio is a bit Doc Brown/ISIS, but it all looks pretty when powered:

The back is like something from The Matrix. I don't think there's a single port that isn't being utilised:

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          The logic for me is that most MiSTER cases are garbage and the good ones are always sold out. ITX cases are readily available in a massive range of styles.
                          Maybe I should go window shopping. Those cases Phil showed on the last page looked mint.

That said I've no real desire to improve the aesthetic of my setup right now, other than dusting a bit and clearing all those boxes out.

Comment

Maybe I should go window shopping. Those cases Phil showed on the last page looked mint.

That said I've no real desire to improve the aesthetic of my setup right now, other than dusting a bit and clearing all those boxes out.
                            Yep, those cases are nice. And unavailable every time I've tried to buy one, with zero indication of when, or even if, they'll become available again,

Comment

This is all I have coming out of mine:

An RJ-45 popping out the front would ruin the setup, so I went with the WiFi dongle. It's not like I'm using this to generate income through professional eSports, so WiFi is fine for updating and organisation.

My audio is a bit Doc Brown/ISIS, but it all looks pretty when powered:

The back is like something from The Matrix. I don't think there's a single port that isn't being utilised:
                              Very nice. Looks like you could just about fit that lot into... an ITX case ;-)

Comment

A custom stainless steel job with the tube popping out of the top would be ace.

Comment

Working...
                                X