Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The All things MiSTer thread (Now Consolised)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, colour me impressed. I'd dabbled with a MiSTer or two before and never really got along with it enough for me to hang on to one. Recently getting hold of a MiSTercade though has changed my mind.

This is the first MiSTer jamma solution I've had that feels like a PCB. You can do away with all the silly button presses to launch menus etc. And have a rather snazzy remote board making it feel much more like the real deal.

I've done a ton of side by sides now, that's me comparing the original untampered PCBs with their MiSTer core counterparts and the results are pretty good.

CPS1, 2 and System 16 appears 1:1 as far as video amd controls go. I ran aground with sound as put of the box through the JAMMA harness they sound like a shell of their former selves. I've literally overlaid the music live in terms of syncing up my two E2 cabs perfectly on the same games and there is a clear difference anyone would notice. In this instance I implemented a discrete audio amp into the JAMMA chain with wires I'd custom made for the E2 original speakers. On messing with the treble and bass via the amp and using combinations of 2khz and 4khz audio filtering on the MiSTer in conjunction with this gives me a 95% accurate audio reproduction of the original.

It is worth mentioning that the Bubble Bobble MiSTer core drops out of sync with my Japanese Bubble Bobble PCB that's running the same rom set at about the 4minute mark on a loop of the titles, which makes me question the accuracy of that particular core, but CPS1,2 and System 16 seem largely perfect...once audio is meddled with.

Thought this might be of use of anyone is considering the arcade side of MiSTer endeavours.

I'm really interested to see how the future Konami cores hold up since the majority of my PCBs are Konami boards. Fingers crossed.

I'll also add something so simple like the addition of the brilliant 'favourites' script has made the whole user experience infinitely more pleasing. I have no idea why this wasn't implemented from the get go, takes so much of the fart-arsery out of everything and you can launch console cores straight from the top menu as a result.
    Last edited by Escape-To-88; 18-03-2023, 23:31.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

The Irem M92 core (R-Type Leo, In The Hunt, Ninja Baseball Bat Man, Hook, etc.) is now in alpha.

Contribute to wickerwaka/Arcade-IremM92_MiSTer development by creating an account on GitHub.

I just gave a couple of games a quick whirl and I’m overjoyed.

Comment

Legendary PSX core bloke has just announced that he’s working on the N64. I reckon he’ll have it out within 18 months.

Comment

The M92 core has a proper release now. R-Type Leo here I come!

Comment

Noticed there’s a core for Outrun and Turbo Outrun now publicly available. Bit glitchy, particularly on Turbo Outrun’s graphics, but plays well enough. Hopefully both will be improved via updates in due course.

Comment

The fella who did the PSX core is now working on the N64.

It's scary how fast this guy works. At this rate we'll have the core ready before I get controllers for my console sorted out.

I'm going to give this core a little blast today, mainly just to see how well the MiSTer outputs the analogue video compared to the real hardware (which we all know sucks the big one).

Comment

You'll still be at the mercy of the weird techniques they used to make the assets more appealing on composite video. I figure you'll be able to utilise deblur hex edits or video hacks at some point though, it helps a touch.

Comment

Mouser.co.uk have a ton of DE-10 stock for anyone who's after one. Usually they take a couple of days to deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    Mouser.co.uk have a ton of DE-10 stock for anyone who's after one. Usually they take a couple of days to deliver.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDeta...JqTxdJ5w%3D%3D
                    Are you after another one? 🤪

Comment

Originally posted by phillai View Post
                      Are you after another one? ��
                      Not right now, but definitely soonish.

Comment

The N64 core is coming along nicely

Comment

The LG wasn’t really cooperating with the 1920x1440 4:3 signal after me switching it from 720p. So, I finally decided to change the MiSTer’s output to 1080p, which unlocks a 5X scaling option within each core. This will crop a few junk vertical pixels off the top/bottom of the image (which is thankfully able to be manually configured), the trade off for those few junk pixels being a perfect 5X scale and quite a bit more horizontal viewing area. I wish I’d had it set up like this all the time now, as a lot of games never properly filled 720p anyway.

I’d recommend this setting to RetroTINK 5X users too.
                          Last edited by dataDave; 04-09-2023, 07:30.

Comment

Working...
                          X