No announcement yet.

Sitting on the Throne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do all of my gaming on my TV, so I'm parked prone on my ancient, 30+ year old sofa most of the time.

However I did just spend a frankly stupid amount of money on a Herman Miller chair for work, in a fit of pique after experiencing some really nasty back pain after sitting on a crappy foldable kitchen table chair for 9+ hours per day daily for 6 months, hunched over a tiny 12" laptop screen.

It's not the famous one, the Aeron, but a newer one - the Lino:

Was it worth the money? Eh, yes and no. It's a very adjustable, supportive, comfortable chair but you are also very much paying for the name. If I'd thought about it longer and been a bit more sensible - instead of flinging money in the problem in a pain-induced strop - I probably wouldn't have spent quite so much. Still, it has a 12 year warranty, and if it lasts me that long and saves me from back pain it'll have been a worthwhile purchase.

Now that I've got it setup along with a new desk (a much more sensibly chosen Ikea one) and a 22" Dell monitor, it actually has been a big stress relief for my day to day.

None of this has anything to do with gaming though, I'm aware - except that having the new setup has made me want to play some more desk-bound stuff like point and clicks. To that end I'm now re-investigating the SCUMMVM library, and when I finally get a new computer I'll look forward to playing some tycoon/RTS type stuff too. It always felt like a complete no-go to do that when I didn't want to spend any longer than I had to hunched over my computer.

EDIT: realised I didn't include the silly amount I paid for the chair. £600. Yup, I know
    Last edited by wakka; 28-09-2020, 10:50.

Comment

Thing is, the chairs can cost a lot... But you have to see it as money you won't have to spend on potential back problems later in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Thing is, the chairs can cost a lot... But you have to see it as money you won't have to spend on potential back problems later in life.
        Yeah, agreed. It was pretty surprising and concerning how fast I ended up in a lot of pain from using a really terrible chair.

Comment

Swish recliner but expensive

Comment

Was an hour or so late on snagging a £200 Aeron the other week, definitely going to keep a closer eye on various places in the near future!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              Was an hour or so late on snagging a £200 Aeron the other week, definitely going to keep a closer eye on various places in the near future!
              Can’t speak to the Aeron but I’m loving my Lino. I was a bit wobbly about it at first but now I’ve bonded with it. It’s awesome. So supportive and comfortable. I love the flat, slightly yielding armrests that I can lift right up to the level of my desk so I can use my wireless trackpad with my arm fully supported.

The seat pan is great too, a massive thick chonk of memory foam. Perfect for me as I have a pretty bony behind

Comment

Some nice chairs in this thread.

I currently have a Noble Hero Chair from OCUK (bad pic) which was a black friday special from nearly a year ago. Not my first choice of colour scheme but it was a discounted price. I also managed to bag the Pillow/lumbar pack for £15.

Had a few chairs over the years but this is probably one of the best ones.

Comment

I lay on my bed, stick a coupla pillows behind my neck, that's me installed in the gaming matrix.

Surely I'm not the only horizontal gamer on here? Love laying on the bed gaming with a twifta and a hot cuppa tea on the bedside cabinet. Bliss!

Comment

This is what I use. The arms are a pain though.

Comment

I need to get myself something cheap (sub £100, less ideally).

The wife is now back working part-time on top of being self-employed so has reclaimed the main study desk leaving me with a new smaller IKEA setup (linmmon / alex combo) ... thankfully that means she's also taken the chair which just ruined my back but now I am using one of the dining chairs till I get it sorted.

The good news is the new desk setup is much nicer, I've got myself a swing arm for the 32" monitor I have and I've just got a dual vesa bracket to hide my NUC PC out of sight. So once the Series S turns up it'll be a nice little "work" area for me to kick back in.

Now I just need something to sit and kick back in....

Comment

How about this as just a chair:

£174 for a decent one with speakers:
                        Find the perfect gift for every recipient at Prezzybox, with a curated collection of unique present ideas. Order online or in store

Review:
                        The phrase 'gaming chair' often conjures images of ugly racing aesthetics and outlandish colours and flare - even a lot of the best gaming chairs are built of some of these traits - but not

Comment

Got any recommendation's that are more office looking in grey/white/black mesh or fabric..?

I find the gaming chairs to be pretty garish for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            How about this as just a chair:

£174 for a decent one with speakers:
                            Find the perfect gift for every recipient at Prezzybox, with a curated collection of unique present ideas. Order online or in store

Review:
                            https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/brazen-serpent-review/
                            QC I love you but these are the most goddamn garish chairs I've ever seen

Originally posted by nonny
                            Got any recommendation's that are more office looking in grey/white/black mesh or fabric..?

I find the gaming chairs to be pretty garish for the most part.

We used these in our office (when we still had an office, pre COVID):

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/flintan-nominell-office-chair-with-armrests-black-s59208197/

They aren't bad and the price can't be argued with. The main issue I would say is the non adjustable arms, which aren't very comfortable and which, depending on your height/how high you have the chair set, might prevent you slotting it neatly under your desk. However they are easily removed (which I ended up doing with mine).

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              QC I love you but these are the most goddamn garish chairs I've ever seen

We used these in our office (when we still had an office, pre COVID):

[/COLOR]https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/flintan-nominell-office-chair-with-armrests-black-s59208197/

They aren't bad and the price can't be argued with. The main issue I would say is the non adjustable arms, which aren't very comfortable and which, depending on your height/how high you have the chair set, might prevent you slotting it neatly under your desk. However they are easily removed (which I ended up doing with mine).
                              Cheers, I'm 6ft 3in so not sure but if it's IKEA I guess I could nip in and try a few out for correct sizing.

I don't get it with gaming chairs, the colour schemes are horrendous. The secret labs one Cepp ordered looks lovely but out of my price range by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                                Cheers, I'm 6ft 3in so not sure but if it's IKEA I guess I could nip in and try a few out for correct sizing.

I don't get it with gaming chairs, the colour schemes are horrendous. The secret labs one Cepp ordered looks lovely but out of my price range by a long shot.
                                It's the law that anything branded 'for gamers' has to be as tasteless as possible. See also: gaming laptops.

Yeah give that Ikea Flintan a try in store. It might work for you, my colleague who's around your height was happy enough with it. I think they're really good value for £70 to be honest. Think you can also buy them armless for a bit less, which tbh I would probably go for.

Comment

Working...
                                X