• Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 153: Rival Schools

History in Games:
    1997 - Rival Schools: Unite By Fate
    1999 - Rival Schools: Hot Blooded Youthful Diary
    2000 - Project Justice: Rival Schools 2

Overview:
    It was the mid to late 90's and Capcom was still struggling to find a working way to adapt its success in 2D fighters to that of 3D ones. Coming off the back of failure with the Star Gladiator project the company this time aimed to limit its scope and target a 60fps arcade experience resulting in Rival Schools. Using team based combat over four attack buttons the game presented players with school age fighters and a clean visual style which helped the game to accomplish solid success. An update was released in Japan featuring additional fighters shortly before the true sequel landed which expanded the scope of the gameplay yet more and also proved a success in arcades though the low sales via the DC version of the game brought the series to an end as Capcom began to further enjoy success outside of the fighting genre.

What are your thoughts and memories of the Rival Schools series?

Saw a review in an import magazine for the first game and enjoyed it a lot. Graphics seemed a bit rough when paused but in action and movement they were fine.

The first game has a darker tone combined with a sense of humour which I probably mentioned before. The similarities to street fighter controls helped it.

I didn't like the updated version much and the DC sequel looks lovely and has a lighter tone but I didn't play it as much as the first.

I didn't like Street Fighter 4 at all but always thought if they used that format it could've been a decent Rival Schools game. SF5 is a lot better than I thought it would be, after years of updates but the best stages are locked out unless you uprade.

Comment

I played a lot of the first game on PS1 but only as a casual knock about game. I remember in my early teens a wonderful time of PS1 Capcom games, especially the fighting games. I loved Alpha 2 Dash, Alpha 3, the SF EXs and Rival Schools.

I put in the first one on PS1 a little while ago and it looks great and is really big and bold. It is full of character and the 3d models are awesome.

Weirdly, I never played the sequel but have owned it on DC for about 18 years. When I worked in GAME, one of my colleagues needed money for rent. He was a prick and I low balled him 7 quid for his import copy. Then never played it. I really should.

Comment

Only played the first one a little bit but I enjoyed it overall. Never touched the sequels.

Comment

Can't help thinking of this band:

Comment

Yeaaah was crazy on this, got the double disc PAL one when it came out and played it to absolute death, saw the "sequel" for PSOne in my local import store (a thing of the past) and picked it up. Enjoyed the 2 new characters but one of the modes was flagged up as me having a mod chip ( the reporter rpg bit ) so never saw that, prob all in nippon so not missing a lot.

Strangely swerved the Dreamcast one when it came out, probably burnt out on the PlayStation ones. Great games tho.

Comment

I'm a pretty casual fighting game player, but I probably played more of Project Justice on the Dreamcast than I did the big guns like Soul Calibur or DOA2. It just seemed fun to play and I enjoyed the varied colourful characters.

Comment

I remember being really surprised with the first game on the PS1 -- it had a lot of flair that appealed to me and it felt like something fresh at the time. It also played really well.

The sequel on the Dreamcast is pretty impressive graphically, but I prefer the vibe of the first game. It's definitely worth playing though.

I'd definitely like a modern version that really goes to town with zany humour and over the top graphics.

Comment

I played the demo and just wondered why the kid with a baseball bat didn't just use the baseball bat, rather than wearing it on his back.

Comment

I’ve got the arcade board of this. It runs on Sony ZN-2 hardware which is based on the PlayStation. Because the ZN-2 boards are so unreliable, this one unfortunately doesn’t get much play. I usually have my Strider 2 ROM board connected to the one working ZN-2 mainboard I have.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      I played the demo and just wondered why the kid with a baseball bat didn't just use the baseball bat, rather than wearing it on his back.
                      Good point, some of the other characters have weapons they pull out at times. I didn't mention the team up moves were cool had some good graphical effects, kind of prefer them to the capcom v marvel games although they're 2d and I never thought about it before, a fun 2 player game back then.

Comment

He uses the bat for special attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          He uses the bat for special attacks.
                          Heh, yeah I know, but if he started hitting people with the bat from the start, he probably wouldn't need special moves.

Comment

Heh, yeah I know, but if he started hitting people with the bat from the start, he probably wouldn't need special moves.
                            I think they should make a Baseball Stars fighting game.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              I think they should make a Baseball Stars fighting game.
                              Or a game where everyone brings weapons, but keeps them holstered like a teasing Soul Calibur.

Comment

Working...
                              X