Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing old point and clicks on Mac?

Hello people.

Having now got an actual desk and an actual desk chair, I'm thinking I might delve into a few old school PC games.

The main ones I'd like to dig into old point and clicks like Phantasmagoria and Gabriel Knight (I remember being fascinated by these but was too young to play them at the time).

I see that on GOG, these games are listed as Windows only, e.g. https://www.gog.com/game/gabriel_kni...of_the_fathers

However, about halfway down the page for both titles, it says 'Powered by SCUMMVM'.

SCUMMVM is obviously on Mac. I was wondering, if I buy these games, will I be able to open them in the Mac SCUMMVM? Presumably not by default but is there some jiggery pokery I can do to achieve it?

Any guidance much appreciated.

PS I know I can Boot Camp Windows or install virtualisation software, but I'm never going to get round to playing these games if I have to do the former, and my Core M3 processor probably isn't up to playing even an extremely old game via the latter.

It should just be a matter of adding the game directory to the SCUMM front end. You should be able to check it works on Mac by getting the old Windows files from the abandonware sites.

Comment

The ScummVM website will have a list of every file you need to run a game under it. Essentially, it'll be a case of extracting the files (or briefly installing the game under Windows or via Wine perhaps), grabbing the required files and adding them to a subfolder in SCUMMVM (anywhere on your computer really, it's just easier to have it all in one place).

Gabriel Knight is an SCI2 game:

All SCI32 (SCI2/3) games
      • Copy all files from each disk or CD to the game directory.
      In particular:

Gabriel Knight 1 from GOG.com
      Rename GK1.GOG to GK1.ISO, mount the ISO, and copy the files from the ISO in the normal manner.
      So create a folder for the game on your computer.
      Copy the files from the ISO to the game folder.
      Navigate to the game folder in SCUMMVM.
      And that should be it

Comment

That is mega useful, thank you guys! [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] [MENTION=6808]Cepp[/MENTION]

Comment

Working...
        X