Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this mod chip in my Saturn and what does it do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this mod chip in my Saturn and what does it do?

I bought a Sega Saturn ages ago. I pulled it out recently (ooer) and heard something rattling about inside. I think it's a mod chip of some kind.

Anyone confirm and tell me of its capabilities?

Ha! Looks like the one I used to buy from Consolegoods.

A Saturn modchip will only bypass copy protection, you'd need to combine it with a region free BIOS to have a truly universal Saturn.

Comment

How can I check if it is working? In case I sell it.

Flapping about it was lol. I stuck it down with blutac.

Comment

Only real way of knowing is burning something and giving it a whirl! I recall them being pretty durable though so fingers crossed.
        Last edited by speedlolita; 23-09-2020, 18:43.

Comment

Ok will give it a whirl. Are they passive or do you need to hold power button for 5 seconds or something to get it working?

I also found a 4MB Action Replay cartridge.

Comment

It's completely passive, nothing funky needs to be done.

Comment

I don't think it's working. I burnt Darius Gaiden, went to boot it up, "unsupported disc" message.

Then, I inserted the Action Replay 4M Plus cart and tried booting game from the Action Replay menu and it worked. The cart must allow for imports to run anyway.

I don't understand how the drive works even when there's a potentially duff mod chip in between it and the main board.

Comment

Hmm, perhaps someone installed it incorrectly... Or maybe it just failed. Odd.

Here's the install page, might be able to work it out. http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/saturn/...hipguide_2.htm

You should be good to remove it also if you'd prefer not to have it installed.

Comment

My bad! It does work! It didn't work with Darius Gaiden without the cart because it was the Japanese version. The cart allows for multi region. The mod chip handles the CD-R boot. So tried with a pal rip of Nights Into Dreams and it worked without the cart. Cool.

Comment

There's a software called Saturn Region Patcher if you wanted to play something you were locked out of otherwise also.

Comment

Ah cool. This seems to be pretty solid. I wonder how much I can get for this pirate booty?

Comment

Not a clue, Saturn fetch a pretty penny now on eBay to start with. Too rich for my blood.

Comment

Last question, I promise

What is the name of this chip?

Comment

Think people just refer to them as the Rob Webb modchip.

Comment

Working...
                            X