Home network (power line) help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home network (power line) help

I've not had to do setup on this for some time, and I'm not sure whether what I'm planning is the best way to handle the situation, or even a good idea at all. In short, my internet line and router will be in one room, and while mobile devices will be wanting wifi, there'll be two other spots in different rooms where I'd like a selection of other devices set up and using a wired connection for stability purposes. Running cables all over the place is a no, as is getting cat6 running through the walls.

I'm looking at power line adaptors, like these, and assuming if I then have these plugged into a network switch's uplink port at each end point, this should all work quite harmoniously, no?

I use something similar, and it seems to work ok, no issues so far, but would advise you to get ones with a socket pass through unless you have enough spare sockets.

Comment

I'd advise against them

private images

Get a longer Cat5 cable and a couple of cheap 5 port switches instead - that used to be a TP-Link powerline adapter. When they aren't blowing up, you'll end up having to reset them time and again when they stop syncing.

If you don't want wires, go for a wifi 6 mesh instead.
      Last edited by MartyG; 24-09-2020, 17:49.

Comment

Used powerline adaptors (mix of BT and tplink) for 10 years no problem.

Comment

I’ve used power line adaptors for years but they aren’t the last word in speed. Stuff like washing machines and phone chargers create interference and slow them down too.

Comment

Thanks folks - seems it's a viable option, even if not the best. Cables between rooms remains a no, and wifi 6 mesh looks interesting but not what I was looking to spend on this. That said, if I die horribly in a house fire, MartyG has 'told you so' rights.

Comment

I'd never plug these into my sockets again - never had anything else blow up like that, and they were flakey.

If you must use them, don't plug them into extension leads, make sure they're at the sockets and don't have them plugged in next to equipment that has big power draw spikes - you are spending a little bit more with a wifi 6 mesh but they are coming down in price - and the bandwidth will be better.
              Last edited by MartyG; 25-09-2020, 09:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                Used powerline adaptors (mix of BT and tplink) for 10 years no problem.
                Same here. I think they're brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Netgear
                  Your household wants super-fast and reliable whole home WiFi for your medium-sized home, up to 2,000 sq. ft.
                  Hm, think it'll cover our 2 bed London flat?

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    Hm, think it'll cover our 2 bed London flat?
                    As log as the internal walls aren't made of bricks it'll be fine.

Comment

Been using them for at least ten years as well, currently have some old DLink's for the slow stuff like the Pi which is feeding FR24 and a few of the latest TPLink's including one with the wi-fi bit on as well.

No issues at all, the wi-fi one is really good and there is an app for the phone which I use so you can control them as well as check on current speeds,

Comment

Working...
                      X