Amazon Luna Cloud Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Luna Cloud Streaming

So it was going to happen sooner or later. Amazon have thrown their hat in the ring with a service and controller that looks like an identikit replica of Google Stadia.

US only beta to begin with but most interesting is this will be accessible on iOS apparently by accessing it from a browser. Why didn't MS and Google think of that?!

Anyway the cloud service space just got a bit more crowded.

Also yes that controller looks a lot like a Switch Pro controller...

Comment

No doubt it'll be included in Prime in some way. Even with Amazon's experience with AWS it'll still have latency because physics.

I think we've seen with the demand for having local hardware in just the last week or so, that there's not as much appetite for these services (especially as a primary) from any of the offerings compared to something solid next to the TV.

Comment

Considering all the technical problems Google is having with performance, I don't think Amazon is going to solve it.

Comment

Yeah that's what I think as well. Stadia has gone very quiet after its big announcement and push at launch.

Google seem to have little if any exclusive content and for me their model is all wrong, expecting you to purchase titles. Similarly Amazon appear to have got the subscription part right but I can't help but think only having cloud as an option isn't right for most of the target audience right now.

I'm enjoying Xbox cloud streaming myself but it's not a replacement for a console or physical installed game... It's just a value add as and when I need it.

As such I think MS have something here that neither Amazon or Google can provide as yet.

Comment

I mean, after Stadia its a bold move for Amazon to wade into this space. It's like a zero returns Brewster Millions, trying to throw money away as quickly as possible.

Comment

You can play the Division 2 for free this w/e on Stadia - well, when I say free, I mean that you can pay to play it for free by signing up for Pro.

I really don't get these offerings - having to pay in order to try it isn't going to convince people to sign up for Pro.

Originally posted by nonny View Post
              As such I think MS have something here that neither Amazon or Google can provide as yet.
              As I said above, I think Amazon will give it as a value add, to Amazon Prime accounts. either similarly to the free Twitch stuff, or tiered as per Amazon Video & Music.
              Last edited by MartyG; 25-09-2020, 08:39.

Comment

I think there is an added consumer trust thing here too. People trust Sony and MS to deliver hardware and game services so they'll always choose them over Google and Amazon. I really don't know why Amazon has got involved in this. Making TV is one thing, but delivering interactive services is another.

Comment

Just to add I read last night the US beta is $5.99 a month for access to 100+ games. The controller is $49.99.

Eurogamer have mentioned that Ubisoft will have their own 'channel' within Luna+ for their content which may have its own subscription fee (UPlay+?). I would say that straight off the bat it sounds like a more compelling offering than Stadia.

Amazon's long-rumoured cloud gaming service has finally been unveiled; it's called Luna and will be heading to Fire TV,…

Unlike Stadia's much-maligned effort, however, Amazon is opting for something closer to an all-inclusive subscription model, initially offering over 100 games via its Luna+ channel for an "introductory price" of $5.99 USD a month during early access.
                  Games will be playable at up to 4K/60fps, and will initially include Control, Panzer Dragoon, A Plague Tale: Innocence, The Surge 2, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, GRID, Resident Evil 7, Abzu, and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.
                  Last edited by Digfox; 25-09-2020, 09:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    I think there is an added consumer trust thing here too. People trust Sony and MS to deliver hardware and game services so they'll always choose them over Google and Amazon. I really don't know why Amazon has got involved in this. Making TV is one thing, but delivering interactive services is another.
                    You could have said the same thing when Sony originally launched the PlayStation and Microsoft launched Xbox.

It's not about trust, it's about having a good product.

Comment

im sure it was someone on here that said

"if google cant get this right then nobody can"
                      You have to wonder who at Amazon thought this was a good idea, these services never seem to gain traction no matter who's attached to them yeah maybe when on-live was a thing the tech and network infrastructure just wasn't their but, both Google and Nvida have failed to set the world alight with these services this year.

Comment

The best thing about this is the way Amazon have circumvented the Apple rules by making the iOS access via a web interface off the browser. You can of course still add a button to your home screen like any app but it bypasses the necessity to get every game rates individually.

I will estimate 48 hrs before Nvidia, Microsoft and Google do something similar...

Comment

I give it 24 hours before Apple adjust their T&Cs.

Comment

Luna....cy

Comment

Another device to fix something that was never a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X