• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 154: Split/Second

History in Games:
    2010 - Split/Second

Overview:
    The premise was simple, an arcade style racer featuring huge explosive effects that altered the course of the track but were triggered by the player as they built up the effects via play. The game showed off multiple visual effects and featured online play, butting heads with Blur in a contest that ultimately neither would win. Despite healthy reviews the game was a commercial failure and no further entries emerged, the game becoming one of the final arcade style racers that would see the sub-genre disappear for much of the next decade.

Was Split/Second a car crash or a hint of a future for the sub-genre we never got to see realised?

Amazing game; exciting, great tension building OST, highly playable.

Real shame it never got a 4k patch on the one x; tried it the other day and graphically it looked like it was pulled out of a wheelie bin....

Comment

I remember liking the demo back in the day, but I haven't played the full game. I have the 360 & PS3 versions sitting on my shelf. So many games, so little time.

Comment

Split/Second was largely depressing for two reasons - one small and one major -

01 - The rubber banding just killed it later on
        02 - The lack of hope. It was everything I want to see from arcade racers and racers in general. It played solidly and had a great visual identity with loads of notable trackside elements. It's exactly the kind of massive experience we should be seeing in spectacular detail today but its failure helped cement the end of the entire genre and that hopelessness comes also from the fact that had it been a hit it still would have ended the same because of how things panned out at Disney. It's genuinely incredibly common in modern racers that I fall asleep whilst playing them, they're genuinely that dull at a track level which stands for small scale right through to GT and Forza. This 10 year old game feels like the last gasp of how racers should have been.

Comment

Split/Second, Pure and Blur were all fantastic.

Comment

It's a long time since I've played this now, but I'm going to go against the grain and say I found it fun, but a little bit too shallow. Once the novelty of the trackside effects and explosions wore off, there wasn't a whole lot there.

Pure, though. That was a brilliant game.

Comment

I got the PS3 version for a quid like six years back. It looked OK but reminded me a bit of MOTORSTORM and it put me off. But it looked like it had a bit of effort, a bit of quality to it. I really gave it half an hour at most, which probs wasn't enough.

Didn't know it was BC on XB1. Don't have a 360 copy but Cashies shall be my pal, gave the PS3 vers to my mate a few years back with a PS3.

Comment

Working...
              X