PSVR2: Next-Gen Boogaloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
    Make it wireless and your tying yourself into mobile processors and massive graphical downgrades, Id much rather they went the Valve index route and push the medium on with improvements in comfort control, and visual fidelity.
    The problem is that everyone else in the industry is sliding towards this, in terms of software. Like right now, there are rumoured to be 10 million Quest 2's (Qualcomm accidentally admitted this then walked it back; it has been suggested they have manufactured this many, and the actual answer is 5-10 million, leaning closer to the latter), which may double the amount of PSVRs sold in a much shorter time, and they're still selling extremely well. To put it in perspective, the Quest 1&2 have outsold the Xbox Series family at this point.

This is something which VR developers lament on Twitter and Reddit, because they naturally want to work on prestige hardware - but they admit that anyone making VR experiences that aren't for the Quest platform (along with other upcoming sets and similar headsets that already exist in Chinese markets owned by TikTok) then your sofware isn't financially viable.

Anyway, the long-and-short of this is that I'm concerned the PSVR2's catalogue is going to probably use the PSVR1's, which is good for those who never owned one, but in terms of new games it might only be those that Sony make themselves or those that Sony will assume some financial liability for, along with ports from the Quest that probably won't make the best of the hardware.

This all remains to be seen, though. It may be that the PSVR2 could be such a good experience that it turns this ship around; certain the first PSVR was a much better seller than anyone thought it would be - and rightly so, it was a fantastic device.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      The problem is that everyone else in the industry is sliding towards this, in terms of software. Like right now, there are rumoured to be 10 million Quest 2's (Qualcomm accidentally admitted this then walked it back; it has been suggested they have manufactured this many, and the actual answer is 5-10 million, leaning closer to the latter), which may double the amount of PSVRs sold in a much shorter time, and they're still selling extremely well. To put it in perspective, the Quest 1&2 have outsold the Xbox Series family at this point.

This is something which VR developers lament on Twitter and Reddit, because they naturally want to work on prestige hardware - but they admit that anyone making VR experiences that aren't for the Quest platform (along with other upcoming sets and similar headsets that already exist in Chinese markets owned by TikTok) then your sofware isn't financially viable.

Anyway, the long-and-short of this is that I'm concerned the PSVR2's catalogue is going to probably use the PSVR1's, which is good for those who never owned one, but in terms of new games it might only be those that Sony make themselves or those that Sony will assume some financial liability for, along with ports from the Quest that probably won't make the best of the hardware.

This all remains to be seen, though. It may be that the PSVR2 could be such a good experience that it turns this ship around; certain the first PSVR was a much better seller than anyone thought it would be - and rightly so, it was a fantastic device.
      It's the age old argument if a game that costs nothing to make and brings in Billions in revenue like candy crush why make Big budget games with limited revenue like Horizon zero dawn, why haven't we abandoned the big budget and console gaming for cheap big revenue mobile gaming? the reason i think is this market is fickle, the quest is currently in Kinect/Wii territory, a lot of people who wouldn't normally buy video game related items are spiking the sales and a lot of these units will end up in the same place as a wii or the kinect in a box in the back of a cupboard 1-6 months after purchase.

A lot of the games on it are not designed for the quest outright either but cut down versions of existing VR software, id go as far to say that 95% of the software is pre-existing. Super Hot, Gorn, Job Simulator, Beat Sabre, Arizona sunshine, ect are according to the oculus quest store some of the best selling games on the platform, its not offering anything new or revolutionary just a budget mass market way into vr for the curious.

Comment

Being tethered PSVR2 can support VR in gran turismo, F1 games, Ace Combat, Elite, Start Wars games etc. Supporting VR in games that lend themselves to VR is financially viable, vs building a whole VR only experience. I dunno what the financial impact of making Resi VII VR capable was but the end result was astonishingly good. Skyrim less so but they still did it.The majority of gamers are casual and are happy with experiences and want untethered VR but then the majority of gamers are playing free to play phone games and that market is saturated. Standing out in the Quest 2 game world might be difficult too further down the line.

Comment

Eye tracking and Foveated rendering are the big ones. That SSD speed will come in useful rendering and derendering where ever your eyes go.

Comment

I think I'm more optimistic than you, here, about the prospects of a more premium VR product. And that's funny because when I showed cynicism about VR's long term prospects, some time ago, it was you that changed my mind about it!

Sony are well positioned to make something that delivers a better-than-mobile experience, ensure it gets software support, and has commercial viability with a ready made audience via their soon-to-be-ginormous PS5 userbase.

Even if PSVR2 isn't something that directly makes Sony serious profit, I think they're wise to see the value in building a strong position in VR for the future. I really feel we are so, so early with this stuff right now.

I'd almost compare it to releasing a PDA in the late 90s or early 2000s. A bit niche, an imperfect experience, but a harbinger of something ubiquitous to come.*

*Worth adding the proviso here that everyone who built PDAs during this time - Nokia, Palm, etc - got totally dunked on by Apple and Google when it actually mattered. So, being early isn't necessarily always particularly useful!

Comment

I still don't feel like the VR Future will happen, even with the advancements that have been made in the tech there are huge hurdles that haven't really moved at all. I feel it's next round of gains rest more on if something akin to a Quest 2 Lite happens than anything else.

With PSVR2 what I'm going in expecting is for it to be the Vita to the PSVR1's PSP. It'll be better, sexier and have some impressive first party showcases. Third party support will be smaller as most of the key titles are already out via the first version and within 24 months Sony will drift away from supporting it in favour of the main console. Then we get into the same scenario over whether PSVR3 ever happens or if Sony wanders away from it like they did handhelds.

Loads of variables but 2022-2024 should be a nice ride

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                I think I'm more optimistic than you, here, about the prospects of a more premium VR product. And that's funny because when I showed cynicism about VR's long term prospects, some time ago, it was you that changed my mind about it!

Sony are well positioned to make something that delivers a better-than-mobile experience, ensure it gets software support, and has commercial viability with a ready made audience via their soon-to-be-ginormous PS5 userbase.

Even if PSVR2 isn't something that directly makes Sony serious profit, I think they're wise to see the value in building a strong position in VR for the future. I really feel we are so, so early with this stuff right now.

I'd almost compare it to releasing a PDA in the late 90s or early 2000s. A bit niche, an imperfect experience, but a harbinger of something ubiquitous to come.*

*Worth adding the proviso here that everyone who built PDAs during this time - Nokia, Palm, etc - got totally dunked on by Apple and Google when it actually mattered. So, being early isn't necessarily always particularly useful!
                Just glad Sony haven't abandoned it. That in itself bodes well I think.

VR and AR will have use outside of games. Where I used to work we had an AR system that we build for John Deere that would let you put the magic specs on, go up to a tractor and overlay all the parts of the engine or whatever, show you what order to take the thing apart and put it back together. It was amazing. My first experience of inside out tracking and it worked in a field outside!

I think high end VR sets for Simulations are here to stay. The tethered nature doesn't matter for these people; they already have steering wheels, brake pedals, HOTAS/HOSAS etc. so fashioning something to keep the cables out the way is trivial and they're used to spending a small fortune already so cost isn't that important either.

It's the middle ground area that's tricky I think and that's where Sony are.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  I still don't feel like the VR Future will happen, even with the advancements that have been made in the tech there are huge hurdles that haven't really moved at all. I feel it's next round of gains rest more on if something akin to a Quest 2 Lite happens than anything else.
                  Yeah, there are a lot of questions and problems still to solve.

Some things are more solvable than others.

We had a friend visit recently and we played Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes - the bomb defusal game most have probably seen - but whenever we were switching who was in the headset, it created all sorts of problems. I visited family over the Winter break also and similar issues with the controllers.

Oh! I've picked something up. How do I drop it?
                  You let go.
                  How do I let go.
                  You let go!
                  But HOW do I let go?
                  YOU. LET. GO.
                  HOW?!
                  HAVE YOU NEVER PLACED AN OBJECT ON THE FLOOR IN REAL LIFE OR SOMETHING-
                  Honestly,

Once of the nice features of PSVR is in all of the main early experiences, you could see the controller in the world without having to remove the headset. I'll freely admit that if a game asks me to press the X button on the Quest, I have no idea which hand that's on.

But there are other things, like how some things just don't work. Devil May Cry is an interesting one because obviously the acrobatics in that game just aren't going to work under our present VR paradigm, and will only work in super-scifi territory of having neural interfaces.

The bigger problem on the Q2 business side is that time will tell if the Q2 becomes the next smartphone or the next fidget spinner. Right now people are enamoured with it but that may not last.
                  Last edited by Asura; 05-01-2022, 13:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    It's not that I think VR will replace regular gaming. That's not going anywhere. I'm kind of thinking a bit bigger.

I think screens that we strap to our head are going to be a part of our lives in a much broader sense in the future than they are today, and that most companies investing in VR are jockeying for position in that future - rather than focusing on how much can be made in the immediate term on selling something which is basically just a niche gaming accessory right now.

There are loads of technological and cultural barriers to overcome, of course. A tremendous number. But I don't really count that against it.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      There are loads of technological and cultural barriers to overcome, of course. A tremendous number. But I don't really count that against it.
                      Certainly this. One of the things with the times I had people try the VR headset over Christmas, I had to set ground rules that no-one either touches anyone while they're in VR, or takes videos/photos without their permission. Actually almost had a falling out with someone for whom their life doesn't exist unless they record it and post it somewhere, who I almost had to kick out of the room.

Comment

Kind of reminds me of how someone yelling into an oversized mobile phone was the cutting edge of observational comedy, though. On-the-go communication was awkward, both in terms of how it worked and how people used it, but the technology improved and culture and etiquette adapted.

Comment

But there are other things, like how some things just don't work. Devil May Cry is an interesting one because obviously the acrobatics in that game just aren't going to work under our present VR paradigm, and will only work in super-scifi territory of having neural interfaces.
                          Speak for yourself, I'll be... ok yeah I'll be sat on my arse again.

Also you could argue that the industry's decades-long obsession for cramming every type of experience into a first person perspective has laid some excellent foundations for VR.

Comment

Farpoint with decent tracking will be a worthwhile experience in PSVR2

Comment

I do really hope that PSVR1 games work on it. There's so much I'd like to play from gen 1. I have no clue what technical challenges that might present though considering the switch to inside out tracking.

Comment

Astro Bot!
                                Wipeout
                                Resi 7
                                Farpoint
                                Blood and Truth
                                Arizona Sunshine (regret not playing more of this with the [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] before selling up to go PCVR).

Comment

Working...
                                X